PDA

View Full Version : Help epxlain mythic rules Legendary item to me :)

ngilop
2016-03-31, 10:12 AM
Hey guys, So in a wrath campaign I am playing a paladin/oracle in (level 3/1) I did my mythic progression outline/rought draft and I had a few slots open and I thought. according the Cockroackteaparty's guide legendary weapons are pretty cool but does a poor job explaining what they do exactly, at least to me.

I mean I read his little blurb about legendary items and thought to myself 'yeah that cool.. how do they work though?'

It just seems like I take random magic item abilities and slap it on my legendary items and maybe make it intelligent.

But could somebody please explain how they work and give me some example/build or whatever.

My idea was, since im playing my character as more of a guardian paladin than 'need to kill all the evils' paladin having a super awesome shield would be cool and make more in character sense.

Hunter Noventa
2016-03-31, 02:21 PM
At the most basic level, when you take the Legendary Item mythic power, you get to add legendary abilities up to your Mythic Tier to an item you posses. You have to take the Legendary item power multiple times to get the full effect, but it can be worth it.

Let's look at your shield example. Say when you take Legendary Item for the first time at Tier 3, you choose your +2 Heavy Steel Shield. It immediately gets the Mythic Bond, legendary Power and Legendary Surge abilities. Since you're at Tier 3, you also get to choose three powers from the list for it to get.

You could take Legendary Fortification, letting you spend that legendary power to negate Critical hits and Sneak Attacks. You could also take Unyielding to make the Shield nigh-impossible to Sunder. And then you could take the Upgradeable power to be able to spend gold and time to upgrade it as you see fit, though this is generally regarded as a lower-powered ability.

That's just a quick example, a full build could look like this-
1- Legendary Fortification
2- Unyielding
3- Powerful (More Legendary Surges)
4- Rejuvenating
5- Intelligence
6- Returning
7- Intelligence
8- Powerful
9- Intelligence
10- Perfect Surge

So you have an intelligent shield you can give some nice utility spells to to keep you alive and defending, it's unbreakable, protects you from critical hits and sneak attacks, heals you, and can apply a bonus to any d20 roll.

In all honesty, weapons are usually better choices for legendary items, since they can make use of the Foe-Biting and Unstoppable Strike abilities.

ngilop
2016-04-07, 02:10 PM
Ok, but what is the point in making my legendary item intelligent if I have to spend my own actions to activate my intelligent legendary item's own abilities.

I am not talking about using a mythic surge to power a legendary item ability. I mean using a standard action to for example cast a legendary item's Haste spell-like ability

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-07, 02:46 PM
Ok, but what is the point in making my legendary item intelligent if I have to spend my own actions to activate my intelligent legendary item's own abilities.

I am not talking about using a mythic surge to power a legendary item ability. I mean using a standard action to for example cast a legendary item's Haste spell-like ability

Intelligent items can act on their own, they just usually have a very limited number of things they can do. But an Intelligent-item could indeed spend it's action to cast haste on you. This applies to all Intelligent items, not just Legendary/Mythic items. but it also applied only to the abilities granted by the Intelligent item ability, as far as I know, an Intelligent Legendary item cannot spend it's own Legendary power for legendary surges or what have you, as you surmised.

ngilop
2016-04-07, 04:37 PM
Intelligent items can act on their own, they just usually have a very limited number of things they can do. But an Intelligent-item could indeed spend it's action to cast haste on you. This applies to all Intelligent items, not just Legendary/Mythic items. but it also applied only to the abilities granted by the Intelligent item ability, as far as I know, an Intelligent Legendary item cannot spend it's own Legendary power for legendary surges or what have you, as you surmised.

I understand that normal intelligent item can use their own actions, but the legendary item ability specifically states

Spellcasting: This item allows its bearer to cast a limited number of spells as spell-like abilities. This ability can be taken more than once. Each time it's taken, the bonded creature gains 5 points to spend on selecting what spells the item can cast. A spell costs a number of points equal to its level (minimum 1). The bearer can then activate the item to use each spell-like ability once per day. By spending double the cost, the bearer can use each spell-like ability three times per day. All spells must come from the same class's spell list. No spell can have a level higher than the bonded creature's tier. The caster level for these spells is equal to double the bonded creature's tier. The save DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell level + the bonded creature's tier.

So the user has to activate the item to cast a spell and to do that requires a standard action.

Again the item does not activate its own as normal intelligent item do, rather the user has to spend an action to activate his intelligent legendary item.