PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5e] [IC] The Curse of Strahd - Group 2

SquirrelKing
2016-03-31, 11:16 AM
The Curse of Strahd
Group 2

12 Kythorn 1489

Through a combination of serendipity and luck – and perhaps some would say fate – the group individually found themselves along the famous Trade Way south of Waterdeep. Perhaps some of you traveled there together in groups of two or maybe even three. Whatever the case, you were all within the famous Way Inn, a veritable walled fortress that doubled as a merchant’s waypoint and watering hole along the heavily used trade route.

While having dinner and listening to travelers’ tales, they observe people from many different nationalities and hear a multitude of accents. But instead of the usual uproarious chatter and lively music, much of the conversation is subdued and quiet. Groups keep to themselves largely, but similar topics can be heard among them all. They’re all speaking of the events far to the north, as Neverwinter and surrounding areas are largely in ruins thanks to the Sundering - the eruption of mount Hotenow. Of the hordes of undead and elementals and worse horrors stalking the land there, preying on the survivors. And they speak of a thick fog that rolls out from the aptly named Misty Forest to the east – and an unseasonable cold chill to the air during this early summer settling over the area more and more.

Dinner concludes without much fanfare, but before each of you can retire and go about your merry way, a rather large man with the robes and darker skin marking one from Calimshan enters the tavern and loudly proclaims the he seeks able-bodied men and women to bring thieves and murderers to justice! Seeing this as a call to arms, all of you answer the man’s summons.

He introduces himself as Samaz, the guard leader of a caravan belonging to the Sand Lion Trade union. He tells a strange tale of a night-time ambush amidst the fog of oversized bats attacking the caravan, carrying off a few members (who were never to be found again). After the battle, Samaz says that they discovered that someone had stolen various goods. Given the concern for their merchant captains and noncombatants, the guardsmen did not pursue. Instead, Samaz’s superiors granted permission to hire a group of mercenaries (read: adventurers) to recover the stolen goods with promise of fair coin for their efforts.

The group learns that the missing items include:
- A small container of rather valuable gems
- A small box that had a small cache of magical wands within it
- A few well-crafted blades
- A small box with custom-ordered pendants for a craftsman in Neverwinter

Samaz gives the group a magic ring that is tied to the missing box of gems. It points the way to the box at all times, but does not indicate distance. And so the newly formed group of five agree to take on the job with promises of significant coin for the safe return of as many of the previously listed goods as they can.

13 Kythorn 1489

The day starts drearily as rain clouds had moved in overnight. Light drizzle greets the travelers as they buy provisions and then set out from the Way Inn. Their trip is mostly uneventful except for a trio of orcs that attempt to waylay them, which ends poorly for the outmatched would-be raiders. At night they experience the cold, cloying fog that creeps out from the forest to their east like a quiet hunter, stealing their warmth as they try to sleep. Occasionally, during the night they see fleeting dark shapes in the mist, both in the air and nearer the ground – any investigation into them reveals naught. During the day, the fog recedes to the borders of the forest, watching as an animal in a cage would, eagerly awaiting release.

http://i.imgur.com/AzvKqS7.jpg

14 Kythorn 1489

On the second day of travel, the summer rains continue as they reach the described site of the caravan's ambush. They find little evidence that any battle had taken place there, mostly due to the heavy amount of travel along the road and the rain. Using the ring provided by Samaz, they get the sense that the missing jewel box is somewhere to the east, towards to the forest. The search commences.

The day grows long and the sun begins to hang lower in the western sky. They are led by the merchant's ring in the direction of a steep hill. The fog from the forest rolls and swirls its way down the hill, meeting the travelers halfway and greeting them with a cold embrace. Towards the top of the hill, at the edge of the blurred forest line, they find a curious, if not disturbing sight. The ground is littered with dozens of dead black birds. The “beacon” from the ring points ever forward, beyond the threshold of the mist-laden forest.

An uneasy pall settles over them as they creep forward through the underbrush of the old woods. The forest quickly grows thicker and the dead black birds continue to litter the ground. They reach a small clearing and barely have time to react before screaming assailants come rushing at them from the fog. They are men and women in strangely colorful dress, brandishing swords and yelling at them in a language the group has not heard before. They have an unsettling look in their eyes, a combination of fear, rage and wild abandon as they attack.

http://i.imgur.com/gsjxuR6.jpg

After disposing of this threat and silence returns to the clearing, they hear a man’s gravelly voice not far away. He is chanting repeatedly, again in an unknown language. The group creeps forward and sees a man standing at the far edge of the clearing. The mists seem to recede of their own accord to provide them with a clear view of the scene. He is an older man, skin pale and wrinkled with a shock of graying black hair atop his head. He is wearing similarly colorful clothing, but it is faded and torn with age and wear. At his feet rest three small, opened wooden boxes arranged close together in a semi-circle as well as a pair of crossed blades. He is speaking rhythmically in that foreign voice and brandishing a short curved blade.

He seems to suddenly notice the group (or the first stealthy character) approach for the first time and he stops chanting and opens his eyes to reveal milky white orbs with no pupil. He speaks loudly and wide-eyed in a strongly accented common tongue, “I have seen you! And so I have waited! I give you Servants of the Master, forcefully taken and Servants of the Enemy, willingly ended. Your invitation is now complete and I humbly serve as the key!”

His sentence concluded, he drags the curved blade across his throat, gurgling and releasing ribbons of sanguine fluid all over the ground ahead of him. His face is strangely calm as he chokes and sputters on his own blood. He gathers a pool of the warm red liquid in his hands and flings it in an arc, the spray of blood hitting the boxes and blades in front of him.

Then, he drops to the ground face-first, lifeless.

Night draws nearer and you have confirmed that the blood-soaked boxes and their similarly-bloodied contents are indeed the missing items. As you begin to gather the goods together, the mists close in and surround you once more, bringing a deep chill to your bones. You’ve gathered them up and stowed them away, ready to return them to Samaz and be done with this eerie assignment. You search through the corpses of the attackers as well as the old man and find a small handwritten note on the old man. It simply says, “Bind them to the tarokka. You know their faces. You know the means. Send them to me.”

Okay! Welcome to the IC thread everyone!

Introduce your character and give their reactions to the other characters and any events along the way that have led you to this point if you wish. Also, indicate what you do from here. The group is still in the clearing, wrapping up the process of gathering the equipment and searching the bodies. Do what you will!

MenhirRocksolid
2016-03-31, 01:17 PM
Talk about internal demons... These idiots certainly had their share... Now who will start a proper fire?

Skald
2016-03-31, 06:17 PM
I'm no woodsman, but I would think with all this mist everything's too wet to get a good fire started without difficulty- besides, I wanna get back as soon as possible that last bit was a bit much... Anyone have any idea what that was all about?

Bladehunter217
2016-04-01, 07:16 AM
Best case he was a madman chanting at whatever God he serves, worst case he cast a sending spell of some kind that I've never heard of calling something else to here. I'll hold onto that note in case it becomes clear. Either way, we should build a fire and street about something in case this mist turns to actual rain. Pik wanders about the edge of the clearing gathering twigs and small branches. Fire won't be the problem, bit tricky I expect but not the problem we will be facing. I intend to warm up and head back and use some of that coin to get all of us a drink or two.

Ionbound
2016-04-01, 08:41 PM
Thalia shrugs as she picks up the dagger, wipes it of the dead man's blood, and twirls it into her belt, saying, "Who knows. Dime a dozen crazy cultist. The only thing that worries me is that he looks like he succeeded on whatever he was trying to do. I think it'd be best to get far away from here, as soon as possible, even if it means marching through the night."

Skald
2016-04-03, 06:10 AM
Grimble looks around nervously "I agree with Thaly." he says as he moves to sit with his back against a nearby tree.
I'm no expert, but during that ritual, he mentioned a key, to me that implies some sort of summoning, and the blood sacrifice thing probably means demons.
Grimble commands his familiar, Puff, to fly above the surrounding area, scanning the parameter through the eyes of the owl as he sits against the tree.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-04, 10:30 PM
Through Puff's eyes, Grimblenyk sees little beyond the silvery-grey mist that permeates the forest. The group gathered in the clearing below - through Puff's vantage point - is a gathering of barely more than hazy, indistinct silhouettes gripped by the mists' cold fingers. The familiar is unable to see much of anything else below. Above the treetops, Puff gains altitude a little more and is finally able to see that the mist continues for apparently miles through the forest to the east. More worryingly, in the last few minutes that they have been dealing with the old man and gathering up the boxes and gear, the mist has crept its way at least a mile beyond the forest's edge.

Skald
2016-04-05, 03:04 AM
Nyk beckons Puff to return to him then relays the information to the rest of the party, "... just thought you guys should know.", he finishes.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-05, 03:59 AM
Oh well, lets get going then... Better light a few torches while we're at it.

Ionbound
2016-04-05, 10:05 AM
Thalia frowns nervously and says, "That's not good...We need to get back to the inn, as soon as possible. Let's go."

Bladehunter217
2016-04-05, 07:41 PM
If you lot want to hike now I suppose we can. He tucks the firewood he's collected so far under on arm and looks I'm the general direction of the inn. Lead the way Fizzlebang, you have the best sight line.

Skald
2016-04-05, 08:46 PM
"Well, even Puff can't see very far in this mist but the inn is this way." Grimble has Puff take flight in an overwatch position as he heads towards the inn. When Puff is in position, Grimble switches his senses to see see from the eyes of his familiar, walking dizzily for the first few moments as he adjusts to traveling while watching himself from a slowly spinning third person perspective.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-07, 10:10 AM
Grimble trips and stumbles a few times as his familiar's sight can't penetrate the fog entirely to show the many sticks and roots and small branches that are in his way. With the others' assistance holding his arm and following his guidance, they slowly make their way towards the edge of the forest. Their footsteps through the forest undergrowth are muted and shallow as the mists press ever closer. Soon, the silvery-grey mists grow so thick that they lose track of their companions. The sounds of their footfalls and their voices as they call out to each other are muffled and mangled. The mists seem to take on grotesque shapes. The sounds each person makes echo back to them as though moans of spectral pain.

Grimble's sight through the familiar reveals that the mists have grown so thick as to almost entirely block out all sight of the forest. Since all benefit of this aerial vantage has ceased, he calls the familiar back down to him but before it can reach him, he feels a dizzying, almost nauseating forced return to using his own eyesight. Grimble has experienced this before: he's lost connection to his familiar entirely.

The tension finally breaks as the mists thin again, revealing the landscape once more. But something is very wrong.

The air has become much colder, as though at the tail end of winter. The trees here are tall looming evergreens with branches that claw at the mist, whereas the forest was full of majestic oaks and maples and birches just a moment ago. Gone are the sounds of insects buzzing and chirping. The only noise comes from their own breathing and movements.

A few steps later as the mists recede a little more, the group stumbles out of the forest line much sooner than they expect and onto a lonely, muddy dirt road cutting a swath through the thick evergreen forest. To their left, the trail leads into thick mist after a dozen yards or so. To their right, the trail continues until their sight gives out in the faint illumination. The sky overhead is overcast and dark, well into the night if the group had to guess.

To their right also, a wooden sign rests on the path a few feet from them in the gloom, having once been nailed to a tree. Next to it is a dead crow, frozen by rigor mortis and partially eaten by vermin. In oddly slanted letters, the sign reads:

Welcome to Barovia

Your familiar is gone. Whether it was killed or something else happened, Puff is no longer there. You will have to cast find familiar again.

Where do you go? What do you do?

Bladehunter217
2016-04-07, 04:34 PM
Determined to not let the others know that he was bothered, Pik decides to speak up, the first few words being squeaks. Well, whatever that madman did was magic because we've easily traveled over a hundred miles. Probably north. Well, we're going to have to figure out where we are now, I vote for asking the locals, at least we can probably figure out where we are in relation to something we know, maybe find out how to get back to the sea and take a boat back. Pik nervously looks around, uncomfortable with having his surroundings changed so much.

Skald
2016-04-07, 04:47 PM
"I've lost Puff." Grimble tells the others as he looks around, taking in he new scenery. "Well, it looks like I was right about one thing, but it wasn't a demon being summoned... it was us. Well, guys, what should we do?"

Ionbound
2016-04-07, 09:34 PM
Thalia's eyes widen and she lets out a short gasp of, "No...No...This...I-It can't be..." She takes a deep breath, quickly regaining her composure, and produces her rapier, saying, "Wherever we are, I doubt it's friendly." As she speakings, her hand clasps a small locket on a string hanging from her neck, as though to reassure herself it was present, then continues, "We need to get moving. Find civilization. Woods at night are terrible, no matter where you are. Gods know what could be lurking."

Gastronomie
2016-04-08, 12:47 AM
Sorry for not being able to post, was really busy these several days IRL and even when I logged in here I couldn't find this thread due to never posting in it (wasn't marked, so).
I will just say that Sui Ren has been with the party all this time, but she was keeping really, really quiet.Sui Ren glances around, her garnet eyes gleaming through the mist. She certainly has no idea of what has happened, but her expression is unwavering and relaxed - she was educated to never openly express fear. Even if it was just pretending, it lessened panic and allowed her to maintain her calm attitude.

"Civilization is quite nearby," Sui Ren whispers to Thalia. "In fact chances are this right path directly leads to a city. Wooden signs don't come growing out of the ground...This sign must show travelers the path."

Then she adds with a grim expression, "Unless this whole forest is an illusion or a trap, that is.

"Thalia, could you inspect that sign if it's an illusion or not? If it's a trap, we need to know now."
She means "Thalia! Use Detect Magic!"

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-08, 01:50 AM
So much for returning the stolen goods.... Has one of you ever heard of Barovia by any chance?

Ionbound
2016-04-08, 03:00 PM
Thalia nods to Sui, and hums briefly, eyes glowing green, then shakes her head, saying, "Nada. No magic around at all. To..." She glaces at the sign, "Barovia, I suppose."

SquirrelKing
2016-04-08, 11:00 PM
Leaving the rotted corpse of the raven and the fallen sign behind, the group begins their journey down the muddy road. Pools of still water in the road reflect the faint moonlight above. The fog spills out of the forest to swallow up the road behind them.

After about five minutes of walking down the lonely dirt track, they find the land to be jagged and uneven, with boulders jutting from the edge of the forest. Evidently they're in the foothills of a mountain or range of mountains. They have little time to consider these thoughts however, as a shape looms in the darkness in front of them.

Ahead, jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, are high stone buttresses looming gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two huge headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate, their heads lying among the weeds at their feet. They greet the travelers only with silence.

http://i.imgur.com/zSMPCbD.jpg

Skald
2016-04-09, 01:01 AM
"Well, I'm not going in first" Nyk quips with a nervous grin.
"Hopefully we find a place I can get some charcoal and incense soon. It'll cost me a good chunk of gold, but I won't do well without puff- especially in a place like this."

Ionbound
2016-04-09, 04:58 PM
Thalia looks up at the gates, tilts her head slightly, and says, "Huh...I can't say I've seen anything like this before..." She sighs, and glances at Nyk, saying, "It's just a pair of gates, though. Onwards we go," as she walks confidently forwards, without concern.

Bladehunter217
2016-04-09, 07:46 PM
Pik frowns, uncertain if he's scared or simply nervous. Readjusting his pack, he follows Thalia.Slow down Tlia, fizzlebang needs a moment to enjoy the view. Can't say I expected much more than this. What with how little affection the welcome mat recieved. He offers a wink to Nyk and hops into line behind Thalia humming.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-09, 08:12 PM
Gabriel follows quietly while inspecting the headless statues for symbols or insignias.

Skald
2016-04-09, 10:54 PM
Grimblenyk follows the others through the gates with a quick glance over his shoulder.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-10, 11:57 AM
At Thalia bravely steps forward, the gates creak open slowly and loudly with a grinding screech that pierces the misty silence. Neither Grimble nor anyone else sees any sign of gate attendants or guards to operate them. Nor does Grimble pick out any symbolism on the armor or statues in general when he takes a closer look. A crow sits atop one of the heads, pecking at its stony eye as it watches their approach and passing. The gates are similarly unadorned by any territorial, country, or family symbols of any sort.

As soon as the last person is through the gate, it shuts of its own accord while producing an equally loud screech followed by a loud metallic clang! as it latches into place. This side of the buttresses hosts no guardian statues nor any adornments of any sort. Ahead of them, the road continues into the darkness, still surrounded by the impenetrable, fog-shrouded forest.

Ionbound
2016-04-10, 12:23 PM
Thalia chuckles as she watches the crow futilely peck at the stony eye, shaking her head, but when the gates slam closed behind them, she shivers, and frowns as she looks around and realizes there are no visible people that are operating the gate. But she sighs, shakes her head, and moves forwards in uncharacteristic silence, now on edge and wanting to get to some sign of civilization before too much longer.

Bladehunter217
2016-04-10, 12:34 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that we're going to be ambushed? Maybe we should be ready for the worst. Pik glances back at the gate before moving a few feet to the side of the others, pulling out his switch of yew.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-10, 01:46 PM
Gabriel nods to Pik: I think you're right, this place haunted at the very least.

Gastronomie
2016-04-10, 08:38 PM
Sui Ren's expression is rather grim. No doubt this was the only way to go - as Thalia had mentioned, staying in the forest was not an option - but this place didn't seem like the shelter she had half-expected it to be. Still, if there was a sign, there had to be someone who wrote it. If there was a city, there had to be someone who built it.

If this is of the world we know, at least. Sui Ren mutters to herself in her head.

Sui Ren will move onward, sticking with the others, looking around for any sounds and signs of movement.
[roll0]
Of course, this may not be used if there's no signs in the first place. But from a meta-gaming viewpoint, something has to happen.Sui Ren will be cautious - she wouldn't yell into the mist like "ANYBODY HERE?" or knock a door, or do other things like that. But personally I feel someone could do it. Just a thought.

Skald
2016-04-11, 02:03 AM
As soon as the last person is through the gate, it shuts of its own accord while producing an equally loud screech followed by a loud metallic clang! as it latches into place.

Nyk jumps at the sound of the shutting gate and quickly runs to cling to the nearest tall person, hiding behind them for a moment before his nerves settle.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-16, 04:47 PM
The group travels slowly and carefully down the muddy road. The fog-shrouded forest at their sides is largely silent. Looming. Expectant, as though a hunter funneling its quarry into a trap.

Grimble and Pik notice that there are wagon ruts in the mud, as though someone came through somewhat recently in horse and carriage, as unimaginable as that seems.

After about ten more minutes of walking down the sodden lane, Thalia wrinkles her nose. The smell of death, she thinks. Something dead and rotting is nearby. As she starts looking around for whatever the source of the smell may be, the others start to catch the scent as well.

A few moments later, they note a pair of legs protruding from the forest underbrush. The breeches and calves underneath are shredded and bloodied. The waist, torso and beyond are hidden from sight by the foliage, however.

Ionbound
2016-04-16, 05:57 PM
Thalia wrinkles her nose and swallows as she sees the legs, but shakes her head and bends down, grabbing the pair of legs and trying to drag them out of the underbrush and into full view.

Skald
2016-04-16, 07:43 PM
While everyone else examines the area, Nyk spends the next 10 minutes spinning and twirling a small piece of wood tied to a bit of string while quietly mumbling to himself, preforming the ritual for the spell 'Unseen Servant'.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-17, 10:56 AM
Thalia pulls the partially-rotted, maggot-ridden corpse of a young man out of the forest. A cloud of flies buzz up from around it in protest at the disturbance.

The young man's black hair is matted with old dried blood. His face and torso are clawed and bitten, the wounds now filled with the fly larvae. He is wearing what perhaps used to be commoner's clothing at best - a simple off-white long sleeve shirt and brown breeches - but they're fully shredded and ruined. This young man died in a truly horrible fashion. Judging by the claw and bite marks, he was mauled by animals. But instead of being eaten, the poor man was left to rot at the side of the forest.

Even in death, his right hand is tightly clutched around a partially bloodied and crumpled roll of parchment.

In slanted, cursive handwriting, the note reads:
Hail thee of might and valor:

I, the Burgomaster of Barovia, send you honor—with despair.

My adopted daughter, the fair Ireena Kolyana, has been these past nights bitten by a vampyr. For over four hundred years, this creature has drained the life blood of my people. Now, my dear Ireena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. He has become too powerful to conquer.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the Devil may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours.

There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all long departed for a better life.

Kolyan Indirovich
Burgomaster

Meanwhile, at the completion of Grimble's spell, a low, tortured moan splits the silence before a faint breeze blows up around the gnome as the servant comes to being.

Bladehunter217
2016-04-17, 11:14 AM
After the initial shock of the corpse, Pik jumps into druid mode. Let's have a look, I'd be willing to bet that whomever killed this unlucky bugger wanted anyone finding the remains to think it was an animal attack. It's possible that someone interrupted whatever creature killed him but they would have returned to finish the meal. Pik gulps nervously, looking around for whatever killed the man, forcing himself to not think of the corpse as a person. Mayhap whatever it's holding can shed a clue? Pik points at the scroll but doesn't reach for it, not wanting to touch the body.

Gastronomie
2016-04-17, 06:52 PM
Sui Ren doesn't hesitate to take the scroll out of the corpse's dried and hardened hand. She opens it, reads it, and then shows it to everyone.

"Judging by his clothes," Sui Ren says, "This man assumingly isn't this 'Burgomaster'... 'Kolyan Indirovich'. Perhaps a messenger of him who wished to give this scroll to some powerful band of warriors? Or... this letter is an entire hoax. Or... This man here retrieved this letter from some place within the last few weeks, only to be later killed.

"...'Give us up for dead'...'leave our sorrows to our graves'... the Burgomaster believes his fate is already sealed. And if this parchment is ancient, no doubt his assumption was correct, as there seems to be something lurking in these streets."

Skald
2016-04-17, 08:16 PM
Grimblenyk flinches at the sound of his own spell, then quietly laughs at himself for his reaction.
"Anything else in the area?" he asks, giving his servant the mental command to fetch anything in range that isn't part the terrain and pile it near the corpse.

Ionbound
2016-04-17, 08:48 PM
Thalia reads the letter and then frowns, thoughtfully saying, "Vampires tend to be bad news of the worst sort...And I don't know if I'm cut out for that kind of thing. But...Well, the reward does sound very good...And I suppose there's no harm in visiting this village, wherever it is."

Bladehunter217
2016-04-17, 09:09 PM
Pik taps sui Ren on her arm as high up as he can reach.Don't touch it, there's something wrong. It's been left alone too much. Wolfs or something wolflike killed it. Could be a dog or something else but for some reason it hasn't been eaten, why hasn't anything eaten it? He looks around again and takes a few steps from the corpse.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-18, 03:02 AM
Judging by the walls and statues we just passed this place has been abandoned long ago. However, this corpse should have then been turned into a skeleton or less I'd think if his was from this time. I agree with shorty; at least use a 10 foot pole or something if you want to touch him...

Gastronomie
2016-04-18, 09:07 AM
Thalia reads the letter and then frowns, thoughtfully saying, "Vampires tend to be bad news of the worst sort...And I don't know if I'm cut out for that kind of thing. But...Well, the reward does sound very good...And I suppose there's no harm in visiting this village, wherever it is." "There would be harm," Sui Ren mutters and rings her neck, "But still it's better than standing around doing nothing... given we need to find someone alive to understand the situation."

Pik taps sui Ren on her arm as high up as he can reach.Don't touch it, there's something wrong. It's been left alone too much. Wolfs or something wolflike killed it. Could be a dog or something else but for some reason it hasn't been eaten, why hasn't anything eaten it? He looks around again and takes a few steps from the corpse. "Someone needed to retrieve the scroll. Not you, not Gabriel. And we desparetly need to move on with the situation... I supposed I would do it." She then sinks into deep thought. "...Or... Is there some form of advanced magic that allows you to take it without touching it directly? I've... left... the monastery before I could be taught much about arcane knowledge." INT 8 is a thing.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-18, 12:08 PM
Well, I may not know a lot, but I do happen to have just the right incredibly advanced spell for the job.

*Gabriel cast a mage hand and takes the scroll with it, and then proceeds to search the body of the young man with it*

Ionbound
2016-04-18, 03:35 PM
Thalia frowns and says, "Oh, you both are sissies. It's just a dead body. It's not even animated! There is no reason at all to freak out over it." She sighs as she watches the Mage Hand pat down the body, "Look, that's a waste of a spell. Just let me search him manually," though that said, she doesn't interfere with the magical search.

Gastronomie
2016-04-18, 05:43 PM
Well, I may not know a lot, but I do happen to have just the right incredibly advanced spell for the job.

*Gabriel cast a mage hand and takes the scroll with it, and then proceeds to search the body of the young man with it*Sui Ren stares in wonder.

"...Perhaps," she sighes with a grim expression, perhaps from embarrassment, "I should have asked one of you first..."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-19, 01:22 PM
Don't worry miss, I'll pat you down with another hand once I'm done here. I've got a few spare and I'll make sure not to come over as too sissy...

Ionbound
2016-04-19, 03:20 PM
Thalia blinks a few times as she tries to process the sheer gall of the man, then says, in a very flat and dangerous tone, though still tinged with disbelief, "I'm sorry, what? I must have misheard you."

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-20, 02:13 AM
You heard me right but you must have misinterpreted my figure of speech. Calling a man a sissy might get you into trouble elsewhere and insinuating that someone's wasting cantrips does not show much understanding about magic, unless perhaps if you're one of those magic conservative types.

SquirrelKing
2016-04-23, 01:18 PM
Grimble's phantom servant merely gathers a bundle of sticks and shreds of the young man's clothing at its master's feet, another low torturous groan issuing from the light breeze as it awaits another command.

*****LATER, AFTER LEAVING THE SITE OF THE BODY*****

Having examined the grim note and decided to continue forward to meet their fate, the group puts away the plea from the burgomaster and continues down the faintly moonlit path. Silence greets them on their journey. Silence and a faint breeze that sways the thick foliage on either side of them. The mist does not dissipate in the breeze, but instead swirls and roils in place as if angrily and stubbornly refusing to budge.

An hour later, they finally clear the forest just as the faintest hint of a sunrise hits the horizon behind them. So we're heading vaguely west, they figure. It promises to be a gloomy day, full of thick, heavy gray clouds threatening rain. Inky black clouds of hundreds of birds...no, bats!...flutter overhead soundlessly from the northwest and pass over the forest edge, out of sight heading deeper into the forest behind them. Within the clouds of bats, they could easily make out one or two exceedingly large ones, wingspans longer than two horses nose to tail, their leathery wings beating powerfully to keep them aloft.

When the forest line thins and then ends altogether, they find themselves looking out into an expansive rolling plain. Set against the dark sky to the northwest(?) is a gradually increasingly tall series of cliffs and mountain that blots out the sky. Further southwest and west of where they stand, the plains continue, but they're full of hills and rolling terrain befitting foothills of that massive mountain. Many miles to the south and north both are particularly tall mountains that form the borders of this valley.

The forest line continues due north and due south from where the road spills out from it. In the faint light of that early morning, about two or three miles to the west, they can make out the small silhouette of a town or village huddled at the base of that large mountain. The mist does not spill out from the forest, but instead remains within like a patient hunter waiting for unwary prey to wander too close. Meanwhile, the road beckons them to the west, bound for that village. Perhaps there they will find answers?

You can travel north into the foothills, along the edge of the forest; west, along the road towards that village; or south/southwest into the lowlands of these plains. Those with the keenest sight can make out the slight outline of perhaps a river about a mile south of where the road exits the forest.

Where do you go?

Ionbound
2016-04-23, 08:26 PM
Thalia shivers as she watches the bats fly by, memories of reports she had read on a coven of vampires hiding in Waterdeep city she had read coming to her mind. Innocent people kidnapped, fed upon, and even transformed into creatures of the night themselves. Her hand rests on her rapier as she looks to the west and says, "To town, I think. Let's see what the situation is here...One way or another."

Bladehunter217
2016-04-23, 11:08 PM
Well, we should make contact with these people, hopefully this Burgomaster is still alive. Can't imagine what kind of place that it takes something happening to the daughter of their leader for him to finally admit they have a problem. I miss the songbirds. Pik sighs and starts walking towards town.

Gastronomie
2016-04-23, 11:42 PM
Sui Ren nods to the others. "Walking around in the wilderness wouldn't solve anything. The village it is, I say."

Skald
2016-04-24, 12:51 AM
"I agree, I was hoping to restock on supplies anyway," Nyk says Hopefully they aren't already gone or dead, but, worse case scenario, we could probably scrounge up a few useful things.

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-24, 11:14 AM
Might have to burn the place down if it has become completely infested with whatever is plaguing these lands, but lets indeed see first

SquirrelKing
2016-04-26, 12:02 AM
The group leaves the safety and shelter of the forest and sets out along the muddy trail. Pale morning sun begins to grow a bit brighter at their backs as they travel west, though the sun does little, hidden as it is by the dense clouds and pervasive fog. Tall grasses wet with dew flank their sides along the way. Two or three ruined skeletal remains of old wooden buildings - old, time-worn huts and hovels all - are to their left about fifteen minutes later.

The fog still covers everything but not quite as thick and ominous as it was in the forest. It is still difficult to make out shapes too far in the distance, however.

Thirty minutes pass on the road before shapes begin to loom out of the chilly, cloying mists. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes eventually become recognizable as village dwellings. The windows of each house stare out from pools of darkness. No sound cuts the silence as they enter the village of Barovia. Nestled among these solemn dwellings are a handful of closed-up shops. Even the tavern is shut tight at this early morning hour. Seemingly, each house appears run-down, badly in need of repair. The white-gray fog slithers quietly along its streets, watching as you explore this once-beautiful, now-run-down village.

A soft whimpering gets your attention though. Peering through the gloom, you see two children standing in the middle of an otherwise lifeless street. The girl is taller and older than the young boy, the former perhaps around ten years of age and the latter closer to six or seven. Judging by the similar jet black hair, strong chin and pronounced cheekbones, and because the girl has her arm around the boy, you would guess they were siblings. The young boy is clutching a worn, ragged stuffed doll and is sniffling and evidently the source of the whimpering you heard a moment ago.

As the group draws near, the girl half-steps forward and shushes the boy quietly and then turns to you. "Th...there's a monster in our house!" She points to a tall brick row house that has clearly seen better days. It's windows are dark. It has a gated portico on the ground floor and the rusty gate is slightly ajar. The houses on either side are abandoned, their windows and doors boarded up.

Gastronomie
2016-04-26, 02:39 AM
Sui Ren flinches upon witnessing the two children - fear and regret seem to flicker across her face for a split second - but she quickly regains her calm self and she whispers to the others, "Be careful. It could be a trap. An illusion. …How would those children be able to survive if there was a 'monster' so nearby…?"

Skald
2016-04-26, 03:04 AM
"Sometimes children learn to survive when they don't have any other choice..." Nyk says in hushed tones. "But you're right, this could be a trap, I don't wanna be caught off guard with some kind of trick, but at the same time I don't wanna take this chance of finding out too late that they' were being honest."

Grimble takes a step forward, stifling his external fear as best he can, yet keeping his guard up.

Grimblenyk readies an action to cast the spell 'Fog Cloud' should any aggressive action be attempted against him.

"It's okay, we can help you" The gnome says in a reassuring tone. "Tell us about this monster."

Ionbound
2016-04-26, 07:45 PM
Thalia frowns as she listens to Sui, shaking her head but acknowledging the point, more frustrated that she's right than angry, and peers into the house, trying to catch any glimpse of the 'monster' she can see through the windows or door opening.

Per: [roll0]

MenhirRocksolid
2016-04-27, 10:47 AM
Well, in any case, there is either a monster in that house or it is haunted... Hey kids! Why don't you come out here and draw us a picture of the monster?

Bladehunter217
2016-04-30, 11:07 AM
Well, we cannot simply ignore children in need but we cannot wander into a trap so what kind of monster do they children believe to be in the home? Pik glances at the children before looking for any sign of their so called monster.

[roll0]