PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a Disciple of Chaos.

SangoProduction
2016-03-31, 03:14 PM
I am playing a level 1 Chaos Gnome (races of stone) Cleric. As you can tell by the title, I also want it to be a chaos / chance themed character. He will flip coins to make decisions, roll dice as he casts spells, and so on with the fluff.

But, as for the mechanics....I've never been great with them. Clearly as I progress in levels, I would seek to go for Fateweaver, and Fortune's Favored, or whatever, but what about for level 1? How does LA +1 work at level 1?

I'd appreciate particularly the level 1 information most of all, but tips for what to do with the next couple of levels are still nice.

26 point buy
"high lethality" game

All books allowed, but run it through me, at later stages of the game.

At character creation, I want everyone to use players handbook. Of course if you have a concept that requires you to use material outside players handbook, talk to me and we can discuss that.

Dragon magazine allowed but check by me first.

I want to know the reason for taking X and Y. You should be able to explain why you have a certain item, feat, class etc.

I'm taking Chaos and Luck Domains.

EDIT: news, I get to refluff the mechanics of any race, and be a Chaos Gnome in fluff.

Troacctid
2016-03-31, 03:20 PM
But, as for the mechanics....I've never been great with them. Clearly as I progress in levels, I would seek to go for Fateweaver, and Fortune's Favored, or whatever, but what about for level 1? How does LA +1 work at level 1?

Generally speaking? It doesn't. +1 LA races have a starting ECL of 2, meaning you effectively begin play as a level 2 character. You would either have to get your DM's okay to play a level 2 character in a party of level 1 characters, or use a variant rule system that allows you to begin as a weaker version of a more powerful race, such as the system on page 190 of Player's Guide to Faerun.

SangoProduction
2016-03-31, 03:26 PM
Generally speaking? It doesn't. +1 LA races have a starting ECL of 2, meaning you effectively begin play as a level 2 character. You would either have to get your DM's okay to play a level 2 character in a party of level 1 characters, or use a variant rule system that allows you to begin as a weaker version of a more powerful race, such as the system on page 190 of Player's Guide to Faerun.

I got his OK on the entire thing....that I have so far. I'll look in to the Faerun thing thanks.

SangoProduction
2016-03-31, 05:23 PM

Yeah. That's infact what was intended.

ATHATH
2016-03-31, 05:31 PM
Character Quirk Idea: Decide which spells you'll prepare each morning by pulling up a random number generator and dndtools (open the spell tab, then use the filter to search for 1st level Cleric spells). Ask your DM if he can let you use this (homebrew) quirk to remove your LA.

Remember to check what book a spell is from and ensure you have it before you read the spell's description (it's on the table/list thingy). Not doing that is piracy and thus illegal.

SangoProduction
2016-03-31, 05:43 PM
Character Quirk Idea: Decide which spells you'll prepare each morning by pulling up a random number generator and dndtools (open the spell tab, then use the filter to search for 1st level Cleric spells). Ask your DM if he can let you use this (homebrew) quirk to remove your LA.

Remember to check what book a spell is from and ensure you have it before you read the spell's description (it's on the table/list thingy). Not doing that is piracy and thus illegal.

Cute idea.

Is there a way to make Spell Thematics work with the Chaos idea? Is Chaos a good "theme" for it? If not, what would be a good theme that's close enough to seem chaotic?
Spell Thematics is in Player's Guide to Faerun.

I probably shouldn't take such a feat since this is supposed to be "high lethality" but still. Just for...future reference.