PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help converting this to 3.5 mechanics

fikoantunes
2016-03-31, 03:24 PM
There’s an underground prison complex in a human kingdom where an evil dwarf is the jailer. He’s so strong and violent that even the human guards fear him, letting him run the place as he pleases. He’s a sadist character. By keeping humans prisoners for months without light (he has darkvision after all), he tortures them by the point it “breaks” their minds. Those human beings are turned into lackey dogs, who will lick his boots if he asks to, and fear him more than death.

How can I properly build those lackeys above?

I was thinking making them around level 4 (the dwarf selected the best candidates between the prisoners). Maybe half of them being ranger 4, with human as favored enemies and the PHB II ACF which gives them “distracting attack” in place of the animal companion. The other half would be melee rogue 4 (whose SA will make a good combo with the rangers’ ACF).

But I don’t think this is enough to portray people who had their mind broken by torture to the point they turned into almost mindless lackeys. How can I develop this further, mechanically speaking? It will be for a mid-level adventure, where the PCs will ultimately face the dwarf warden.

Eloel
2016-03-31, 03:27 PM
Refluff Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm), maybe?

fikoantunes
2016-03-31, 03:35 PM
Refluff Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm), maybe?

Interesting PrC that one! I must confess I'm not acquainted with psionics mechanics, but the class description sure has lot of flavor. Heck, it can even be the basis of a solid plot line for an adventure – I'll keep that in mind.

But what I need it's a bit different. That PrC states "those who answer a thrallherd’s call (...) do not appear because they admire the character and want to serve her, but because a hidden psychic resonance connects the thrallherd and her servants." This implies some power under the hood. It need people whose mind were broken by sheer torture and strenght. More "Ex" and less "Su" :smallsmile:

Jormengand
2016-03-31, 03:53 PM
People who are mindbroken by torture should be permanently staggered and possibly be treated as int -. They certainly wouldn't be able to use attacks requiring precision like sneak attacks.

I did actually make a class for people who fight by being crazy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483024-The-Madness-Disciple-%28Class-in-30-minutes-PEACH%29); maybe the first few levels of that would be a possibility.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 03:57 PM
The "Fanatic" listing in diplomacy
Intimidate can be used to induce diplomacy effects. Make sure the guy can hit at least DC 50 easily.
Use poisons to lower their Wis and Cha... BoVD might have rules for torture but I suggest you skip the graphic details and just stick to the fanatic stage. PCs can then help the victims

Flickerdart
2016-03-31, 04:01 PM
You may want to use one of a number of templates that turn creatures mindless or hit their INT hard, since these guys are hardly in a state of mind necessary for long-term planning or really any sort of thinking beyond "do the thing as fast as possible so we don't die". Barbarian is the class for them - they are driven by overpowering fear which manifests as Rage, giving them superhuman strength and resistance to pain that places a huge strain on their bodies.

In fact, you might want to use the mechanics of wolverines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolverine.htm). Just refluff them into humanoid form.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 04:06 PM
You may want to use one of a number of templates that turn creatures mindless or hit their INT hard, since these guys are hardly in a state of mind necessary for long-term planning or really any sort of thinking beyond "do the thing as fast as possible so we don't die". Barbarian is the class for them - they are driven by overpowering fear which manifests as Rage, giving them superhuman strength and resistance to pain that places a huge strain on their bodies.

In fact, you might want to use the mechanics of wolverines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolverine.htm). Just refluff them into humanoid form.
And not much Cha or sense of self...
Zombies with a con score (probably low too) and the humanoid type instead of undead.
A strong will-save against anyone but the dwarf.
Mental array: int 3-8 wis 10 cha 1

Troacctid
2016-03-31, 04:08 PM
If the prison is built on a Lost Site (Magic of Incarnum pp204-205), the dwarf could be dealing Int damage to the prisoners in order to turn them into Lost, while using a Strongheart Vest or some form of disease immunity to make sure he himself remains unaffected.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 04:18 PM
I'd not drain their intelligence. They're still smart just lacking willpower and a sense of identity. Their Cha is what's shot (and their Will saves against him). They'll do what they're told to do and they'll do it well, because the jailor terrifies them.

fikoantunes
2016-03-31, 06:22 PM
Lots of good out there, thank you all. I’m even inclined on mixing them up:

From my understanding, I think it’s better hurting Wis and Cha then Int. “They're still smart just lacking willpower and a sense of identity” Guigarci said, and I think the same.

I liked the Barbarian for a base class. And the wolverine mechanic. About this creature, I read “a wolverine (…) flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead.” Very good for what I need.

But the “Fanatic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#diplomacy)” attitude is also a good translation to those mind-broken lackeys. Instead of getting to that point by an Epic Diplomacy check, it was due to prolonged torture.

I also liked the homebrew “madness disciple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483024-The-Madness-Disciple-%28Class-in-30-minutes-PEACH%29)”. The mechanics of failing Will and getting bonus on attack is quite interesting. Maybe I can apply that to this condition/template.

The prison is not built on a Lost Site, so I can’t use the rules from Magic of Incarnum.

To sum up, maybe something good would be the mechanics from the Frenzy + Fanatic + some heavy penalty to Wis/Cha + any other flavored mechanic (like the aforementioned homebrew).

It can be applied as sort of a permanent condition… Or like a template? I imagine the first must be a short phrase while the second can encompass more rules/phrases. So I’m inclined going with a “mindbroken” template.

Troacctid
2016-03-31, 06:29 PM
The prison is not built on a Lost Site, so I can’t use the rules from Magic of Incarnum.

Well, you are the DM. It could be if you want it to be.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 06:39 PM
It can be applied as sort of a permanent condition… Or like a template? I imagine the first must be a short phrase while the second can encompass more rules/phrases. So I’m inclined going with a “mindbroken” template.
A condition, something like fatigued or exhausted for the mind, a -2 or -6 penalty to Cha and Int? Cha and Wis?
Or ability damage; one could argue that stressful enviornment doesn't allow one to rest and thus heal ability points.

Ruethgar
2016-03-31, 06:40 PM
Do also note that Perform can get you to Fanatic as well and is easier to work with given the wide array it can cover. Perform(Torture) could be a twisted form of art I suppose.

fikoantunes
2016-03-31, 08:04 PM
Do also note that Perform can get you to Fanatic as well and is easier to work with given the wide array it can cover. Perform(Torture) could be a twisted form of art I suppose.

I was flipping pages of the BoVD searching for the torture section. Their approach is entire Intimidate-based: tools of torture can be used to progressively increase the Intimidate check against the victim. The book doesn't cover the way you propose – torture as an art. This twisted Perform skill could then be mastered by others who don't rely on Intimidade. Much more interesting if you ask me. Your concept could even be extended to Profession (Torturer): that would be someone skilled in inflicting pain on a restrained target. It could even be mastered by a not-evil NPC.