PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Module for a First Timer?

Slayer Lord
2016-03-31, 03:38 PM
So my wife has been interested in roleplay for a while, but most of her experience is online RPing with friends and she's a little hesitant about starting tabletop and not knowing how to do anything. I was thinking about doing a first level one shot with her and one or two other people in order to help her get the hang of things. Can anyone think of any PF adventure modules that you consider particularly first timer-friendly? She likes anything that's really story driven, or that's dark in tone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be either so long as it's easy for a new player to get into. Or do you think it would be better to make my own, custom module just for her? We're both pretty busy right now, so a module would be easier to get set-up, but I could totally make something up if needed.

What say you, playgrounders?

Arutema
2016-03-31, 05:19 PM
So my wife has been interested in roleplay for a while, but most of her experience is online RPing with friends and she's a little hesitant about starting tabletop and not knowing how to do anything. I was thinking about doing a first level one shot with her and one or two other people in order to help her get the hang of things. Can anyone think of any PF adventure modules that you consider particularly first timer-friendly? She likes anything that's really story driven, or that's dark in tone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be either so long as it's easy for a new player to get into. Or do you think it would be better to make my own, custom module just for her? We're both pretty busy right now, so a module would be easier to get set-up, but I could totally make something up if needed.

What say you, playgrounders?

It's a bit more railroaded than you might expect from the description, but Murder's Mark is one of the more varied first-level adventures, leaning towards RP-heavy Paizo has put out. You can probably pass on Crypt of the Everflame or The Godsmouth heresy, as those are both dungeon crawls.

Also, while it's shorter than most adventures, you can't beat the price of the free modules We Be Goblins. You get a chance to play through goblin antics and games, as well as some combat.

ComaVision
2016-03-31, 05:35 PM
Also, while it's shorter than most adventures, you can't beat the price of the free modules We Be Goblins. You get a chance to play through goblin antics and games, as well as some combat.

Came in to say this. I haven't ran it myself but I intend to when I get the chance.

Ualaa
2016-04-01, 10:08 PM
I love the FGG (Frog God Games) adventures.
Their slogan is 1st edition feel, 'x'th edition rules.

They have one, adjusted for each of the rulesets, called 'The Wizard's Amulet'.
'The Wizard's Amulet' is a short and free to download adventure, from their website.

It walks you through how to run an adventure, how to set up encounters, etc.
That makes it ideal for someone who is new to an edition or who wants a review on elements to include.

The Sundered Kingdoms is a continuation of 'The Wizard's Amulet'.
It has that, and a few other adventures bundled into one book, which could be run as a campaign.
Plus is showcases a decent chunk of the 'Lost Lands', if you end up liking their setting.

DrMartin
2016-04-02, 09:07 AM
Hangman's noose is an excellent module. If you cut out certain combat encounters it can be shortened into a one-shot, dinner-with-murder style. horror investigation with dark tones ahoy, and there's so many NPCs that you can get through it with only one PC doing only minimal adaptations.