PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Special abilities, please help!

Devigor
2016-03-31, 05:36 PM
So, my DM has homebrewed a feat:

Extra Class Feature~

Benefit:
* Gain one class feature from any class except those for which you have one or more levels in. The class feature you choose must be an extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability; also, you cannot choose a class feature if the level at which it is granted by its class is higher than the highest class level among classes you have levels in. You lose the class feature you chose and pick a new one at the end of each full 8 hour rest period. This allows you to choose a higher-level class feature when you are at higher levels, and provides massive versatility at all levels.

Special:
* This does not grant prerequisite features of a class feature. Choosing the Barbarian's "Tireless Rage" feature does not grant the "Rage" feature. This does not grant improvements to class features based on level, unless the improvements are part of the individual feature. Choosing the Barbarian's "Rage" feature does not grant "Tireless Rage", but choosing the Cleric's "Channel Energy" feature does improve the number of dice based on your highest class level among classes you have levels in. Choosing the Druid's "Nature Bond" feature improves an animal companion as if your highest class level among classes you have levels in were your Druid level; choosing a Sabateur's "Sabateur Trick" feature only grants one trick, though your highest class level among classes you have levels in is used to determine which tricks are available for you to choose from.
* This feat can be selected once or twice. The second time this feat is taken, you gain a class feature normally. In addition, you can exchange both of the features granted by this feat using a full-round action, as if you had waited for a full 8 hour rest period. You cannot choose the same feature with both selections of this feat, and you cannot choose to gain a feature you already have.

Lots of info, so if you don't like reading, skip down to where it says ALLCAPS.

We just recently asked if prestige class features were allowed, and our DM said they are. We are playing a high-power game for kicks-and-giggles. We've played different characters for a while, and we decided to play this campaign (which will be full-length, probably ending around level 22 or 23) on the side. The DM is great at role-playing and keeping us all immersed, and extremely good at balancing encounters so that even epic level characters feel threatened adequately, without having rocket-tag. The only homebrew is additive; he never bans anything. He literally challenged us to break his campaign, and we're level 9 now. I took the feat this level, and at the time I was using stuff from base classes, since we didn't think about using it for prestige classes until last session (and of course, we all feel that this is a fun feat for role-playing, and also just happens to be a mechanical feat tax/necessity while it's available).

I need help finding some extremely powerful class features. My current character is a changeling (not the PF hag version;
https://sites.google.com/site/eberronpathfinder/conversion-info/races/changelings
) factotum 8 (
http://somag.forumotion.net/t135-factotum-pathfinder-conversion
) who has major prosthetics, so he typically uses his changeling ability to look like an android (from the SRD). The DM ruled that appearing as an android makes the prosthetics appear like robotic parts instead of their usual forms, so he has his changeling form and his android form that he swaps between. In addition, at level 6, he took his first level of Chameleon (a prerequisite fixed version of this ported class:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pevk?35-Chameleon-Prestige-Class-Conversion
) which has an added psionic focus and has a special change made to replace the combat/stealth/wild foci so he can "Mimic" extraordinary class features from any class (similar to the feat but ONLY extraordinary features). His android persona is named Blue Rock, and his changeling persona doesn't have a name since he's the only one that knows he's a changeling.

I have collected a list of all extraordinary class features of level 7 and lower from every base class and prestige class from Paizo and every 3rd party (due to the Mimic thing), but I haven't recorded any alternate class features (I wanted to ask the DM first) and I haven't recorded any Su abilities or SLAs.

I currently swap between my entire set of abilities on a regular basis, and it is extremely helpful to the group (though I'm the lowest in strraightforward power). Even so, we usually don't wait 8 hours before any situations come up, so my general thing when I can't prepare is to use some arcane casting with Factotum and divine after-combat healing (saves a bit of gold on wands so we can bribe whoever we feel like we need to) using Aptitude Focus. The rest of the time I use Mimic and skills in all the ways I can think of for combat and out-of-combat utility. These two feats are something that I feel will send my character's power through the roof; swapping as a full-round action? Definitely taking the feat again at level 11.

ALLCAPS

So my question is: what are some game-breaking Su abilities and SLAs from Pathfinder classes that would be useful for a skill-monkey, arcane caster, divine caster, psionic manifester, or claw-natural-attacking flank-buddy? I don't want to have to look throuh the entire SRD again.

Morcleon
2016-03-31, 08:43 PM
Getting an entire class' maneuver progression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/stalker) for the cost of a feat is pretty good. Note that it explicitly states that maneuvers are extraordinary unless specified otherwise, in which case they're supernatural.

In a similar vein, you could get a wizard's casting, but that requires more interpretation because while spells themselves can't be cast in an AMF unless you have special features, you do not lose the actual ability to cast spells.

Devigor
2016-03-31, 08:48 PM
Where does it mention that maneuvers are an extraordinary ability? And spellcasting? I thought they were a separated thing. Like, extraordinary, supernatural, spell-like, spells, initiating.

Even so, those are levels of cheese that I don't know if I'll go for. :smalltongue: I mean, I'd say a single maneuver might be an extraordinary ability... But not the progression.

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 09:12 PM
so essentially you get the factotum capstone as a feat? that's handy.
There is a Prc ability, deep pockets iirc, which is extremely handy for factotums, to the point I suggested it as a level 6 filler for PF

Devigor
2016-03-31, 09:31 PM
Yep! I Mimic Deep Pockets often, since it is an ex. ability. :) The Pathfinder Chronicler Prc. Yeah, it's awesome. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to grab supernatural and spell-like abilites using the feat, since I can Mimic ex. ones.