PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Adding Types/Subtypes to PC Races

Unusual Muse
2016-03-31, 05:51 PM
Greetings, Playground...

I have in mind to run an E6 "Law vs. Chaos" campaign wherein Elves have the Fey type, as well as the Chaotic subtype. I'm trying to suss out whether doing so would be particularly unbalancing or not. Thoughts?

ATHATH
2016-03-31, 05:56 PM
Have you considered just replacing them with Fey'ri?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-03-31, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't call it unbalancing directly, but it would allow elves to alter self into some pretty powerful forms.

Draconium
2016-03-31, 05:59 PM
I believe the only change the Fey type would really bring about (aside from making them immune to Humanoid-only spells like Charm Person) would be that it automatically makes them proficient with all simple weapons. So, yeah, immunity to some of the lower-level spells (even beneficial ones) is about the worst of it. Warforged does the same thing at the same ECL and for even better benefits - I think you'll be fine there.

Normally, alignment subtypes are only applied to Outsiders, and makes them so that they are always counted as that alignment (in addition to their actual alignment) and let's them overcome DR/Chaotic with any weapon they use. I don't think they necessarily need that, but I suppose you could use it. Maybe slap of a LA +1 if you do that, but I don't know if you will. I just think you shouldn't bother with the subtype at all.

Unusual Muse
2016-03-31, 06:03 PM
Have you considered just replacing them with Fey'ri?

I should have mentioned, it's an E6 campaign, so anything with LA is unlikely.

Troacctid
2016-03-31, 06:07 PM
Most creature types don't provide a significant enough boost in power to unbalance a race unless that race was already well above average. Elan, Duskling, Synad, Warforged, Warforged Scout, and Neraph are all nonhumanoid, and Humans are probably still better than all of them.

I should have mentioned, it's an E6 campaign, so anything with LA is unlikely.
Don't the usual rules for LA in E6 (reduced point buy instead of increased ECL) make LA more likely?

Ruethgar
2016-03-31, 06:15 PM
Also, Lesser Fey'Ri are your friends!

Malimar
2016-03-31, 06:23 PM
Most creature types don't provide a significant enough boost in power to unbalance a race unless that race was already well above average. Elan, Duskling, Synad, Warforged, Warforged Scout, and Neraph are all nonhumanoid, and Humans are probably still better than all of them.

Exceptions are the types that give significant immunities -- especially Plant, Undead, and Construct (without Living Construct). Those types are worth at least LA+1 on their own, which is why you never see LA+0 races with these types (except Living Construct)(even Necropolitan isn't really exactly LA+0, by virtue of the "you lose a level" thing).

Fey is not among the types that give major immunities, so it's probably a safe change at LA+0.

The Chaotic subtype doesn't do much other than make you susceptible to effects that affect chaotic creatures even if you're not chaotic, and make your attacks count as chaotic for overcoming DR. Neither is going to come up in play very often (quick, name three monsters that have DR/chaotic! the three different kinds of Inevitables only count as one), plus being adversely affected by dictum and protection from chaos even if you otherwise wouldn't be roughly balances out the overcoming DR thing, so the Chaotic subtype is also probably safe at LA+0.

Unusual Muse
2016-03-31, 06:26 PM
Don't the usual rules for LA in E6 (reduced point buy instead of increased ECL) make LA more likely?

We don't use point buy; we're old-school 4d6-drop-the-lowest kinda guys. I suppose it might be possible to work out some kind of general "reduce your stats by X amount per level" thing.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-01, 01:08 AM
There are a couple of rituals in SS that can change your character in this way; everything from simply adding a subtype to a full-on race swap. You could either use those or base a homebrew ritual on them.

Psyren
2016-04-01, 09:34 AM
Also, Lesser Fey'Ri are your friends!

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? He wants the Fey type, and the first thing those Lesser races do is convert to Humanoid.