PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Low-Level Spell Abuse

JNAProductions
2016-03-31, 08:21 PM
So I know that Haste is a 1st level spell on the Trapfinder (something with Traps...) spell list, making an Artificer able to craft a 1st level Haste item with ease. What other spells are open for abuse like this?

Gildedragon
2016-03-31, 08:44 PM
pretty much all the trapsmith list.

JNAProductions
2016-03-31, 08:44 PM
Trapsmith! Thank you!

dextercorvia
2016-03-31, 08:46 PM
Bargain Bin for Artificers and Archivists (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661.0)

Khedrac
2016-04-01, 06:49 AM
Remember the Duskblade spell list - e.g. Polar Ray as a 5th level spell.

Jormengand
2016-04-01, 07:21 AM
Remember the Duskblade spell list - e.g. Polar Ray as a 5th level spell.

Please; I wouldn't cast Polar Ray out of a third-level slot (except maybe at high levels when fireball's damage cap kicks in) let alone a fifth-level one. Eighth is ridiculous.

Dread_Head
2016-04-01, 08:15 AM
Telflammar Shadowlord has some decent spells at lower spell levels as well. As does Runescarred Berserker.

thethird
2016-04-01, 09:32 AM
Well the bargain list has already been brought up. But going to point out summon giants.

Ikitavi
2016-04-03, 04:38 AM
http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/spell-compendium--86/amanuensis--3785/index.html

"This spell copies 250 words per minute and creates a perfect duplicate of the original."

So, the writers of the spell thought they could prevent it from being abused by not allowing it to copy magical texts. But they reckon not with mischievousness of true rules lawyers.

See, a perfect duplicate includes the INK. I mean, if the original was written in diamond dust, it would be pretty obvious if the duplicate was not also written in diamond dust.

It doesn't completely upend the economy, just the really expensive ink and jewel dust economy. There is still the labor cost of scraping "ink" off the paper, and whether or not the paper is reusable and all that. But using a Rules As Written cantrip to overthrow the world economy should qualify as "low-level spell abuse".

As a GM, I would rule that amanuensis copies the INFORMATION, not the substance. Even without the ink trick, it should be able to copy non-magically sealed letters without disturbing the seal, which allows all kinds of devious mischief.

ace rooster
2016-04-03, 06:37 AM
I'm going to point out the (BoVD) demonologist spell list. Not large, but low level planar binding is fun. Greater curse in a wand is fun too, even with the fairly crappy DC.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-04-03, 01:45 PM
There is a PRC from dragon magazine called mind mage:

http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm

one of it's abilities lets you spend power points to lower spell costs.

"When casting a spell, the mind mage may lower its effective spell level (and thus the spell slot it occupies) by spending 8 power points per level of reduction (minimum level 1st). "

Due to magic/psionics transparency, you can boost ML insanely high, and prepare a spell in a 1st level spell slot, as a sanctum spell, lowering it to an effective 0th level spell.

continual ring of time stop for 4k gold, anyone?