PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [d20] Optimizing the Ubue

Thurbane
2016-04-01, 04:56 AM
So...Tome of Horrors (Revised).

In terms of monsters, I love it. :smallsmile:

In terms of playable races, it's pretty awful. :smallannoyed:

Reading through it today, I came upon the Ubue. If I was wanting to optimize one of these as a PC in a 3.5 game, what's the best way to tackle it?

Large Giant, 3 RHD, LA +2; Str +6, Dex -2, Con +4, Int -2, Cha +2; 3 slams; Multiweapon Fighting bonus feat; +6 natural AC. Weakness: multiple personalities that sometimes bicker with each other. FC: Barbarian.

Despite the RHD and LA, I think it has some potential as a melee brute.

Assume you could use LA buyoff, and no hinky mehtod of losing the RHD.

What can you do with this thing?

Cheers - T

dysprosium
2016-04-01, 01:32 PM
A classic monster!

Based upon those stats and racial preferences Barbarian is a given.

I would also consider Totemist just based upon the Constitution bonus. Maybe possibly go into Totem Rager

Another possibility could be Warblade and/or Swordsage for the Tiger Claw discipline. You may have to work out any two weapon fighting with multiweapon fighting issues that may come up.

Good thing about racial Hit Dice is that they count toward the initiator level for choosing maneuvers.

ATHATH
2016-04-01, 01:54 PM
Eh, this race seems so-so. The stats aren't really comparable to what an LA+0 could get from some well-chosen templates, and this race's only interesting features are the Giant type (for which Half-Giants are a better option) and the three slam attacks (which could be done better by a Totemist that wasn't three HD behind).

Inevitability
2016-04-01, 02:33 PM
The charisma bonus is interesting; perhaps a gish? The abilities are all melee-oriented, and spellcasting will net you versatility and general useful buffs.

Thurbane
2016-06-08, 11:08 PM
The charisma bonus is interesting; perhaps a gish? The abilities are all melee-oriented, and spellcasting will net you versatility and general useful buffs.

If you could buy off the LA, might be able to make a semi-decent Suel Arcanamach build...