PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for playing a Diviner?

infinitum3d
2016-04-01, 11:47 AM
I'm tired of the standard hack and slash. I have a Cleric with a high intelligence score and I'd like to focus on Divination.

My thoughts so far are that he would be like a 4e controller or leader in combat. He would give "orders" to direct the battle because he can figure out (divine) who is the greatest threat, who is going to attack whom, which enemy is the leader, etc.

Non combat is easy. He's a source of all knowledge. But in combat he's almost useless.

Suggestions?

JumboWheat01
2016-04-01, 12:00 PM
A Wizard diviner would be a great controller, since they can use their fancy dice to affect their target's saving throws, letting them land the hard "save-or-suck" spells nicely.

But I don't really know how one could go about playing a Divination-focused cleric in combat.

eastmabl
2016-04-01, 01:38 PM
My thoughts so far are that he would be like a 4e controller or leader in combat. He would give "orders" to direct the battle because he can figure out (divine) who is the greatest threat, who is going to attack whom, which enemy is the leader, etc.

So, by "divine," do you mean that the character is able to determine use his smarts to figure out who the combat leader is?

JellyPooga
2016-04-01, 03:07 PM
1) Get yourself some robes (colour and cleanliness optional) and a gnarled staff (no, not a quarterstaff, a staff; if your GM's generous, he might let you treat it as a club). Leave the armour and weapons at home, or better yet, sell them/donate them to charity (the party Fighter might like a decent backup weapon). Done that? Good, now you're starting to look the part. Grow a beard whilst you're at it (unless you're female, I suppose).

2) Be kind of trippy. Heck, get hold of certain "poisons" *ahem* and actually trip out in game. Religious trances, hallucinations, staring into the middle distance, talking to thin air or inanimate objects...these are you on a good day. On a bad one? Yeah, you're a liability. Play it to the hilt; there's no point in being a proper "conduit of the gods" if you're not going to milk it for what it's worth. See if you can't arrange certain compensations (hints, clues, straight up direction) from the GM for being said liability; no-one said that the only way to get divine guidance is through spells.

3) In combat, Guidance and Resistance will be your bread and butter. They might not seem that good, but Guidance can make the difference between a successful Shove prone and a failed one and Resistance will do the same with Saves.

Bless, Bane, Prot.vs.E/G, Sanctuary and Shield of Faith are all good combat spells that fit thematically.

Blindness/Deafness and Silence could also be considered appropriate from the "vow of silence" type of Prophet/Diviner.

4) Outside of combat is where you should shine and if you do so to tip the odds of an upcoming combat in your favour, then your activity in the combat itself need not be so dramatic/critical; you've already done your part by using Clairvoyance to spy out the enemy camp and arrange the ambush or Speak with Dead to interrogate the Guard that the Fighter just killed about the layout of the dungeon ahead. Locate Object might reveal hidden treasures and Tongues may reveal hidden allies...

There's plenty of useful things an Oracle can achieve for a party of adventurers.

HoarsHalberd
2016-04-01, 06:47 PM
1) Get yourself some robes (colour and cleanliness optional) and a gnarled staff (no, not a quarterstaff, a staff; if your GM's generous, he might let you treat it as a club). Leave the armour and weapons at home, or better yet, sell them/donate them to charity (the party Fighter might like a decent backup weapon). Done that? Good, now you're starting to look the part. Grow a beard whilst you're at it (unless you're female, I suppose).

Or he may well, as per RAW, let you use it as a quarterstaff. PHB 147: "In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the DM’s option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it were that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus."

Inevitability
2016-04-02, 06:14 AM
You could use the Help action to aid others' attack rolls. As long as their damage output is far superior to yours (or you have a rogue in the party) it's a defendable action optimization-wise.

Alternatively, refluff your spells as tactical advice. You aren't casting Bless, you're directing your allies through divine inspiration.

Either way, I strongly advice against deliberately trying to be useless in-combat. The system assumes all characters are at least somewhat capable of fighting, so building something that isn't will put more pressure on the other party members.

infinitum3d
2016-04-06, 06:45 PM
Either way, I strongly advice against deliberately trying to be useless in-combat. The system assumes all characters are at least somewhat capable of fighting, so building something that isn't will put more pressure on the other party members.

I agree fully. My point is that I'm trying to be useful, but without using a weapon. Are there other skills that someone can use in combat, like Leadership skills, knowledge checks, INT checks, things that would make Sun Tzu proud?

infinitum3d
2016-04-06, 06:46 PM
So, by "divine," do you mean that the character is able to determine use his smarts to figure out who the combat leader is?

Yes, exactly! Brains in combat, not bran.

infinitum3d
2016-04-06, 06:47 PM
Not bran??? And not barn either.

You know I meant brawn, right?. :-)

unwise
2016-04-07, 07:30 AM
Can you spare a few levels in Rogue for Mastermind? It lets you use Aid Other as a bonus action, that is pretty defining. If you were to take an oath of pacifism, might your DM let you take an ability like that? In exchange for something else? For a Feat?

I think the relevant abilities are spread out over too many classes. You have Cleric stuff, Diviner wizard, bard for inspiration, rogue for aid or heal as a bonus for starters.

Specter
2016-04-07, 09:23 AM
1) Go Variant Human. Grab 'Lucky' as a feat.
2) After your first Cleric level (probably Knowledge Domain), grab two Wizard levels on the divination school.
3) With Portent + Lucky, enjoy being the greatest fatespinner in the game.