PDA

View Full Version : 5e- the Generalist challenge!

Black Socks
2016-04-01, 05:07 PM
Note: although I put time and thought into this challenge, it is primarily an April Fool's joke, and should be read in the spirit of April Fools Day.

A Generalist takes many forms. You could be a fighter who was never very good, but picked up a bit of mage training. You could be a wizard who lost most of your power in an experiment gone wrong. Or you could be someone who was just never exceptional at anything. Ladies of gentleman, I present to you:
The Generalist Challenge
The rules are simple: I challenge anyone to complete Lost Mine of Phandelvar (the 5e starter set adventure) playing as a Generalist (description below). The description only goes to 5th level, because that's what you are supposed to be at the end of LMOP. If you have reached 5th level by the end of your adventure, than congratulations, you have completed the Generalist Challenge and you can proudly call yourself a Generalist Master! Good luck!
Class description:

The Generalist Class
Class Features
Hit die: d8
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: One type of artisan’s tools of your choice
Saving throws: Intelligence, Dexterity
Skills: Choose any two
Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-a) a quarterstaff or b) any simple weapon
-a) a sling and 20 bullets or b) 20 darts
-Leather armor
-a) a scholar’s pack or b) an explorer’s pack
- A component pouch (no super-cool arcane focus for you!)

Table 1-1: The Generalist

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Cantrips Known
Spells Known
1st level Spell Slots
2nd level Spell Slots
3rd level Spell Slots

1st
+2
Spellcasting
-
-

2nd
+2
Jack of all Trades
-
-

3rd
+2
Fighting Style
-

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement
-

5th
+3
Generalist Knowledge

Spellcasting
Your spellcasting ability is Intelligence:
Spell save DC= 8 + proficiency bonus + Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier= 8 + Intelligence modifier
You know a number of spells, as shown on the Spells Known column of the Class Features table. You learn more spells as you gain levels. When you gain a level, the new spell can be any spell from the wizard spell list that you are capable of casting (in other words, you must have at least one spell slot of the new spell’s level.)
You have a certain number of spell slots. You can cast any spell you know by expending a spell slot of that spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
You know two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. At 3rd level, you learn another cantrip.
Jack of all Trades
At 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to any ability check you make that doesn’t already involve your proficiency bonus.
Fighting Style
At 3rd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your speciality. Choose one of the following options:
Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a+2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Ability Score Improvement
At 4th level, you may increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or two ability scores of your choice by 1. As usual, you can’t increase an ability score above 20.
Generalist Knowledge
At 5th level, you choose between gaining one feat of your choice, or gaining proficiency in three skills of your choice.

So there you have it! Feel free to tell me what you think, and make sure to tell me if you become a Generalist Master!

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-02, 12:41 AM
Fighting style and feat/skills should switch places. Style comes way too late noe. Even for a fullcaster

You can get 3 skill proficiencies with a feat...
Why would you choose two skills (well, if you took the feat already but REALLY ABSURD) situation

Think of another name than feat/skills. Just a boring name...

Next to that. Doesn't seem bad. Not really unique but most low level characters look like each other. Although you just stole features and give a feature with a disappointing name. I think it just doesn't add much

Edit: and no subclass. Maybe one subclass gers the fighting style. Other feat/skills. Then nothing on level 5 because fullcaster

And although this is all just a prank. I gave serious feedback :)

Calen
2016-04-02, 12:24 PM
Edit: and no subclass. Maybe one subclass gers the fighting style. Other feat/skills. Then nothing on level 5 because fullcaster

But if you are specializing in a subclass wouldn't that mean you are no longer being a generalist?

Black Socks
2016-04-02, 03:13 PM
Fighting style and feat/skills should switch places. Style comes way too late noe. Even for a fullcaster

You can get 3 skill proficiencies with a feat...
Why would you choose two skills (well, if you took the feat already but REALLY ABSURD) situation

Think of another name than feat/skills. Just a boring name...

Next to that. Doesn't seem bad. Not really unique but most low level characters look like each other. Although you just stole features and give a feature with a disappointing name. I think it just doesn't add much

And although this is all just a prank. I gave serious feedback :)

Thanks for the suggestions! You're like me... you take your jokes seriously. :smallsmile:

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-02, 05:48 PM
Personally, I would absolutely play this class, joke or otherwise. Don't suppose you can extend it further?

Black Socks
2016-04-02, 06:26 PM
Personally, I would absolutely play this class, joke or otherwise. Don't suppose you can extend it further?

Sorry, but I'm not very good at developing classes beyond the basic idea. (This may be due to my habit of playing a character until 5th level, abandoning it and starting a new one.) If I ever get a good idea for higher level features, I will definitely add it, but right now I can't guarantee I will.
Thanks though! :smallsmile: