PDA

View Full Version : Fun Build: The Clumsy Bladesinger

orcafromthesky
2016-04-01, 05:28 PM
It's new. I call it the 'Emu' style. Here, let me demonstr...oops. That wasn't
supposed to happen...here, let me just...alright. I'm going to start over...
- The Clumsy Spellsinger

Hey! I wanted to throw this out there and get some feedback. I thought it might be a fun, flavorful build to play.

The whole idea is to build a Bladesinger with terrible physical stats, who dips into Monk for Unarmored Defense and Druid/Nature Cleric for Shillelagh (I prefer Cleric, because you get a free skill to boot). That way Wisdom becomes your primary attack/damage/AC stat, at least until level 16 when Song of Victory kicks in. Primary weapon would be a quarterstaff.

It's not the strongest build out there, but you can easily tweak it to make it stronger (by bumping Dex instead of Cha, for example, you could get some pretty monstrous AC), and I definitely think it stands on its own two feet.

Monk 1/Nature Cleric 1/Bladesinger 18

Half-Elf Sage
STR 8
DEX 8
CON 10
INT 16
WIS 16
CHA 16

1 (Monk): Unarmored Defense
2 (Cleric): Nature Domain, Shillelagh
3 (Wizard):
4 (Wizard): Bladesinging Tradition, Bladesong
etc.

ASIs would go +2 WIS, +2 INT, +2 INT (to cap INT before Song of Victory), +2 WIS. You could add Polearm Master or Warcaster (for Booming/Green-Flame Blade as an AoO, which is always fun), depending on if you wanted to focus more on melee combat or spellcasting. Of course, if the DM allows a Variant Human Bladesinger, it makes all of this wayyy easier.

At Level 10, he would have (while bladesinging):
AC: 17
Melee Attacks: (1d8+4) x 2, magical.
SAVES: Str +3, Dex +3, Con +0 (+4 for spell concentration), Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +3.

Which isn't terrible.

For skill proficiencies, I'd probably go Investigation, Religion, Arcana, History, Nature (to reinforce the whole martial scholar thing).

What do you think? Would it work? I know level 1 would be a slog, but once you get Shillelagh I think it would be fun to play.

JackOfAllBuilds
2016-04-02, 06:30 AM
Need Dex of 13 for monk, in addition to its Wis requirement

Corran
2016-04-02, 07:39 AM
Those mc requirements always ruin a good fun. Op build seems very fun to play!

tieren
2016-04-02, 08:49 AM
Why bother with unarmored defense when the nature cleric dip gives heavy armor? Even with that str you can wear ringmail w/o penalty.

RickAllison
2016-04-02, 12:04 PM
Why bother with unarmored defense when the nature cleric dip gives heavy armor? Even with that str you can wear ringmail w/o penalty.

Because Bladesong doesn't work in heavy armor (or medium armor, for that matter).

orcafromthesky
2016-04-02, 01:50 PM
Need Dex of 13 for monk, in addition to its Wis requirement

Not if it's your Level 1 class.

SharkForce
2016-04-02, 01:54 PM

you must meet multiclass requirements to multiclass in or out of a class. so yes, even if it's your level 1 class.

Mellack
2016-04-02, 01:55 PM

You need to qualify in both your old class and the one you want to go into.

ninja'd

Waffle_Iron
2016-04-02, 01:56 PM

No, then you need DEX 13 to multi-class out of monk.

orcafromthesky
2016-04-02, 01:57 PM
you must meet multiclass requirements to multiclass in or out of a class. so yes, even if it's your level 1 class.

Oh crap! I never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out. That's easily fixed:

STR: 8
DEX: 13
CON: 10
INT: 16
WIS: 16
CHA: 12