PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Plot thread ideas?

Tanuki Tales
2016-04-01, 07:30 PM
So, I'm doing a campaign that will concentrate on an anthology of plot threads that will grow and progress, regardless if the players interact with them or not, instead of one overarching narrative.

The issue is that I'm finding a block on what kernels to plant out in the game world and was hoping for some suggestions/ideas.

Below is what I have already:

So, a little bit on what the game world is like is necessary for the direction of this thread. It'll concentrate mainly in the confines of an Imperial/Militant society that is based somewhat on Amestris from Full Metal Alchemist and the Pax Transylvania from Girl Genius. The tech level will lean more towards Amestris, with WWII firearms and motor vehicles/trains becoming more common.

The setting's religion revolves around a pantheon of ascended mortals who overthrew/slew the previous gods worshiped in the area and lead to the forming of the Empire.

The strongest mortal NPCs peak out around level 15.

The group is brought together by a mining company contracted out to the Empire for harvesting iron ore. They dug somewhere they ought not have and uncovered a whole mess of morlocks that drove out the crew and now infest the mine. The group is being payed to clear out the mine, so that work can be started back up.

These hooks all branch off something framed by the main hook.

- An agent of Imperial Intelligence is investigating a lead that a cult of undead worshipers have an interest in the local area. They have infiltrated the mining company, as it is currently one of the power players in the area.

- A member of the Imperial Museum of History has been drawn by rumors that, prior to being initially attacked and overwhelmed, the mine workers had breached into what sounds like a buried temple. They are searching for willing individuals to aid in clearing out the mine and bringing back anything of possible historical significance so the museum can maneuver to have the site declared under their purview.

- When the temple was breached, the cult of undead worshipers were made aware by their divine patron that inside the temple is the means to unleash a horrific blight onto the world (the temple has a map and ritualistic instructions on how to unleash a sealed Nightwave).

- An out of the way community will have children start disappearing once a month, stolen away by a malevolent force. This will not cease till all the children have been taken and an Imperial response won't occur until 10 children have been taken (so 10 months into the disappearances).

- A mad, secluded mage is enlisting hapless travelers and curious individuals to unknowingly help them create a horrific abomination. The mage has hatred for the Empire and will turn the creation on the nearest settlements.

- A Phistophilus Devil is roaming the country side, seeking to bind 666 souls to itself, in order to evolve into a Pit Fiend and make a bid for Archdevilhood. The Church will doggedly pursue it's destruction as soon as they're made aware of its existence.

- The heir of a political influential family from the capital has eloped with a common girl. The heir's father is a staunch proponent of non-human rights in the Empire and the lynch pin blocking radical pro-human factions in the Imperial Court. As time goes on, agents of the family and agents of the radicals will attempt to locate the couple, with the couple evading them. The three possible results are either that the couple continues to be in hiding (until they can successfully fake their deaths or leave the Empire), the agents of the family will return them to the capital or the pro-human faction will kidnap the heir, kill the girl, and use this as leverage against the patriarch to make sweeping, pro-human changes in the Empire.

- A rogue member of the Hounds of War (a program of selectively bred and trained lycanthrope soldiers the Empire uses as elite shock troops) has stylized himself as The Wolf King. He is amassing followers, trying to turn native tribes under his sway, with the aid of a fallen druid.

And that's all I have.