PDA

View Full Version : 5e Monk\master thrower recreation?

Ulrik the Fell
2016-04-02, 12:03 AM
Howdy all,
I'm building an alt for a campaign I'm in, and am trying to recreate some of the craxy shenanigans I got up to in 3.5 with Mc-ING the master thrower and any one of several flavors of monk. Still kinda new to 5e and was hoping for some throw-it-against-the-wall ideas. Not really going for min\max or optimizing, but also not wanting to play a useless character, I'd say 65% flavor and 35% utility. Leaning towards the improvised thrower aspect, but I know that might be hard to do in 5e. Thanks for any ideas!

Foxhound438
2016-04-02, 12:44 AM
there are 2 good routes to go for you

1) use daggers and dueling style. take a level of fighter for dueling fighting style, adds 2 damage since it's still a "melee weapon" even if you throw it. Additionally, it's a monk weapon, meaning bigger dice later on and a bonus kick if you close into melee.

2) use darts and archery style. Take a level of fighter for archery, adds 2 to your attack rolls with ranged weapons. You'll also need the sharpshooter feat, which gives you "ranged power attack", as well as attacking at long range without disadvantage; between that and archery, you take a net -3 to attack and deal an extra 10 damage. Biggest con here is that darts aren't a monk weapon, so this turns off a few of your things such as bigger dice and matial arts.

In either case you still get unarmored defense, monk speed, deflect missile, evasion, empty body, and all the utility monk stuff. Best subclass is probably shadow (open palm is melee focused for all its stuff, elemonk is generally not great for a lot of reasons, sun soul's ranged option is redundant for you, long death is more tanking focused).