PDA

View Full Version : no mummy puns please

Wraithy
2007-06-21, 02:09 PM
I've recently bought libris mortis, after looking through the book I became interested by the prospect of playing a mummified human.
the idea for the character is that he comes into consiosness to find that he is about to kill some adventurers, he has stopped suddenly because he does not know. . . who he is? what he's doing? who he was? what he is?
(cliché, I know)
his attention turns to the adventurers who are fighting off his fellow undead. on instinct alone he:
a) turns undead (if cleric)
b) fireballs the undead (if arcanist)
c) opens up a can of monk (probably not)
d) other

he wants to be real again, or just left to be himself, he doesn't want to kill all life or destroy all undead, he doesn't care about those things, he just wants peace and order. the world is too chaotic, too confusing, and he wishes it made more sense. (LN Aligned)

the problem I'm having with this character is which direction to take it in? which class would be the most versitile for roleplaying this scented dustball?
i have access to the following books: libris mortis, MM1, PHB, DMG, complete adventurer, races of the wild.
I usually play skill monkeys but whenever I play those I tend to go a bit waky with intelligence (something Mummies get -4 to). so I want to try out another class. so far sorceror seems to be the best option, but if there are any other classes which would soften the blow to logic that incorporating a mummy into the party creates i would love to know about them.
I would probably take about 3-4 levels in mummy before following another class, maybe I'd return to the mummy class later but not after a few levels in this class, preferably no prestieges.
and if there are any tips for playing a reluctant undead character or any do's and don'ts would be really helpfull.
i wouldn't be playing this character for ages, by which time i'd be joining the group at lvl 5+.
also if I did play a cleric it would turn undead (not controll), so would i kill myself by turning if i did?

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-21, 02:12 PM
1st tip - You know who the mummy is, but who's the daddy? :smallbiggrin:

On a more serious, I'm pretty sure you have to complete your Mummy racial hit dice before beginning on an actual class/PrC.

Wraithy
2007-06-21, 02:28 PM
really? well if that's true then for want of a more child friendly word... BU***R. but that makes it literally impossible to play a non-epic mohrg.
also, if it wasn't possible to take other levels earlier, why would the books bother assigning a progression to the developnment of such characters? (eg: dr/1- lvl 2 etc.)

PlatinumJester
2007-06-21, 02:30 PM
You spelt Bastard wrong.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-21, 02:39 PM
really? well if that's true then for want of a more child friendly word... BU***R. but that makes it literally impossible to play a non-epic mohrg.
also, if it wasn't possible to take other levels earlier, why would the books bother assigning a progression to the developnment of such characters? (eg: dr/1- lvl 2 etc.)

The specific book was 'Savage Species'. It was a 3.25 book (it's technically 3.0, but has some of the content that ended up in 3.5). I'm not sure if they have a formula or not, but you can extrapolate around what level monsters should get stuff at. I used it to make a progression for someone who requested a Nymph (13 level progression).

TomTheRat
2007-06-21, 02:42 PM
A full caster is probably a bad idea if you're taking levels in Mummy.

PlatinumJester
2007-06-21, 02:49 PM
Make hima devine caster since we need a healer and already have 2 arcane casters and a monk.

Wraithy
2007-06-21, 02:51 PM
You spelt Bastard wrong.

wrong word, I spelt my one right

Bassetking
2007-06-21, 03:07 PM
You really seem wrapped up in this exercise...