PDA

View Full Version : Irregular Webcomic

Fri
2016-04-02, 04:53 AM
Print collection!

Well, since I can't see kickstarter thread for webcomic forum, I guess I'll start a thread about it.

Remember Irregular Webcomic? Which despite its name is years and thousands of regularly updated webcomic that never skip a day?

It's having kickstarter for print collection. First one is collection of the fantasy one. All of the comics are good ones, in my opinion, though might be a bit too punny for some people.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dmmaus/irregular-webcomic-burning-down-the-alehouse

Just in case any of you are interested :smallwink:

Oh, and irregular webcomic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1.html) thread, I guess

PallentisLunam
2016-04-03, 09:16 PM
I love Darth & Droids, but I'm having trouble getting into IWC. I'm starting at the beginning... do they get better?

The Glyphstone
2016-04-03, 09:21 PM
I love Darth & Droids, but I'm having trouble getting into IWC. I'm starting at the beginning... do they get better?

Eh, it's pretty much all the same the way through, though different stories come and go, and if you find a theme you like, there's an option to repeatedly skip to the next strip in that theme.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-04-04, 02:16 AM
IWC is really rough at the beginning, because it was one of the first webcomics and rules were getting written along the way. You can follow individual groups in their stories, but that'll leave you kind of confused later on as the stories begin interweaving (with predictably explosive results).

dmmaus
2016-04-05, 04:12 AM
Well, since I can't see kickstarter thread for webcomic forum, I guess I'll start a thread about it.

Thanks for doing that!

I'm biased as the author, of course, but I do think IWC improves as you get further into it and it evolves from one-off gags to more story based (a bit like OotS, really, if I may be so audaciously bold). Unfortunately like many comics with huge archives it can take some getting into, and especially as it chops and changes between stories so much.

For a first timer who's struggling to get started, I'd recommend picking either Fantasy, Space, or Cliffhangers (an Indiana Jones parody), depending on your genre taste, and reading a bunch of strips just in that theme - using the theme navigation buttons underneath the strips. If you start enjoying how it's developing after 100 strips or so (each strip is short and quick to read), you can go back to the beginning and read all the themes sequentially, knowing roughly how they'll develop in story and quality over time.

If not, well, I'll be happy that you gave it a try. I don't pretend to be all things to all readers.

The other option, of course, is to back the Kickstarter and read the book, and then try and get into the online archive. :-)

Fri
2016-05-04, 07:49 PM
Whoa, it's funded! I honestly thought it'd miss it. Congrats DMM I guess. You deserve it. Honestly, I think if kickstarter is a thing earlier when the comic was still active, you'd easily get it funded.