PDA

View Full Version : Rewards for Druid & Monk.

Officer Joy
2016-04-02, 05:14 AM
So I'm DMing a group of heroes, they are awesome players and I want to give them a steady supply of improvement.

The group consists of A half-Orc Barbarian that has received a trowing axe that returns to his hand after trowing it, and now a black Dragonscale armour. Btw does 2 resistances stack into inmunity? The halfElf warlock has already enough inate toys, and will be getting a title if he takes it. The human wizard gets a bag of holding to drag all his loot around. The player will be happy with it. But what kinds of windwalls can I let a woodElf monk and Druid get? I got no idea.

Espesially the monks damage is pretty sub par.

Ps: they are lvl 4 next session.

Mhl7
2016-04-02, 05:35 AM
Double resistance doesn't stack.

Staff of Defence from Lost Mine of Phandelver is nice for both (you can rule that it can be used as a quarterstaff and you don't need to be a caster to use it)

Amulet of Claws: +1 to natural and unarmed attacks

You can look up the 'flying stones' from the DMG. Actually, there are tons of super useful items on the DMG that can be used by anyone (I like the 'figures of wondrous power' or the 'tokens'), even though they are not pure damage item.

For the monk: on the DMG there are quite a lot of magic properties for swords. Give one of those properties to a short sword, which is a monk weapon (call it Kama if you like more fluff and want to make sure that the Barbarian doesn't steal it).

For the druid: there are objects to summon elementals on the DMG, it is very druidic, even though lvl 4 might be too soon.

Just a short reminder: the monk damage is low because it is not his role to do a lot of damage, he should be picking out enemy casters/leader and disabling them (stunning). Use hit and run tactics to stay away from damage and so on.. but there are already a lot of discussions about this on the forum.

Officer Joy
2016-04-03, 04:07 AM
Double resistance doesn't stack.

Thanks, saves me the time to go look it up ;)

Staff of Defence from Lost Mine of Phandelver is nice for both (you can rule that it can be used as a quarterstaff and you don't need to be a caster to use it)

Amulet of Claws: +1 to natural and unarmed attacks

would those stay active once wild-shaped?

For the monk: on the DMG there are quite a lot of magic properties for swords. Give one of those properties to a short sword, which is a monk weapon (call it Kama if you like more fluff and want to make sure that the Barbarian doesn't steal it).

Dinki-Di uses an Axe, that's what he uses, he wouldn't consider a sword even if in certain situations it could be better.
and his player doesn't have the desire to upstage anyone else. I doubt he would ask for it.

Trouble with the magic shortsword is that the monk is hitting everything with his fists, and doesn't use weapons.

I guess I'll have them fight some evil monk soonish that is caring some handclaws of +1 or something for the monk.

indemnity
2016-04-03, 04:29 AM
From the very recent archive:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids&p=20545595

Officer Joy
2016-04-03, 05:01 AM
From the very recent archive:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids&p=20545595

I remember that topic (now). But clearly I didn't look hard enough for it.

Dizlag
2016-04-03, 11:15 AM
Have you looked at the Blessings in the DMG? They are permanent boons for characters granted to them by the gods. Might make for a pretty kewl gift and add to the story a bit.

Dizlag

Officer Joy
2016-04-03, 03:02 PM
Have you looked at the Blessings in the DMG? They are permanent boons for characters granted to them by the gods. Might make for a pretty kewl gift and add to the story a bit.

Dizlag

Maybe a bit early to start handing them out al 4th lvl.

Lycanthrope13
2016-04-03, 05:18 PM
I would give the druid some kind of armor. Maybe it's the groups I've played with before, but anytime I've played a druid, I've had to settle for leftovers in the armor department, usually whatever the rogue was upgrading from.

I'm clueless on what to do for the monk. I'll ask my brother. That's his favorite class.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-04-03, 05:32 PM
But what kinds of windwalls can I let a woodElf monk and Druid get?

Permanent Wind Walls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/windWall.htm). Useful in any number of social situations.

"Oops... Sorry about your furniture... Sorry... Oh, sorry, did I do that... Sorry about your inventory... Sorry about that... Sorry about your livestock... Maybe they'll come back later... Oops, sorry... Sorry about your town, sheriff..."

Cyan Wisp
2016-04-03, 09:52 PM
Instead of trying to enhance the monk's fighting, what about broadening his capabilities/options? After all, base class abilities are already balanced against challenges - no arms race! So, how about...(from uncommon list)

Three doses of dust of sneezing and choking. Get the stunning happening early.
javelin of lightning, baby! Gives the monk an area effect.
bag of tricks (whatever colour), gives the monk a fighting companion in the back lines, or mount or whatever.
eyes of charming. That monk is now making mates in the back lines, eliminating threats to himself.
eversmoking bottle Spellcasters have a hard time targetting people they can't see!
boots of springing and striding. The speed does nothing, but now the monk can grasshopper jump all over the ruddy place with no ki needed.

As for druids, hmmm, yeah. Already pretty versatile, so maybe thematic stuff:

bag of tricks. Druid = wild buddies
eyes of the eagle The druid sees all.
hat of disguise Not shaping, as such, but fairly thematic and echoes of "mask of many faces", spirit of the woods kind of vibe.
gloves of swimming or climbing Who's king of the jungle now?
javelin of lightning. Because druids and lightning...you know.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-04, 08:01 AM
eversmoking bottle Spellcasters have a hard time targetting people they can't see!

Don't forget partially charged wa...wait, wrong edition.