PDA

View Full Version : Succubus PC advice

Falcos
2016-04-02, 07:28 AM
Hi all!

So I'm currently playing a campaign in which my DM has permitted me to play a Savage-Species-Progression Succubus.

My original intent was to have them adventure through the Succubus Progression levels in the party with an Exalted character, and by the time they can take class levels, if the Exalted character had done enough things to convince me in-character to see Good, become a Paladin. DM approved of this plan, and I've been playing up to now level five.

However, I've started to wonder if Paladin is the best plan. And even if it is, what should I do if the Exalted character hasn't converted me to Good by that point?

So here I am asking input.

Obviously, I'd like as much Charisma-emphasis as can be reasonably afforded, as Succubi have Charisma something insane, but I'm open to other options as well.

So far, my strategy in-combat, for what that's worth when I start picking up class levels, is to claw/grapple opponents, then repeatedly claw them while my Animal Companion (Picked up with Wild Cohort for flavour on creation), which is a Medium Viper, bites them repeatedly. It doesn't do much damage, but in the event that they fail a save, the poison is nice, and if they don't fail a save, I can generally hold them still until a more damage-minded party member can come and pick them off.

So! Asking input on what good build paths could be for this lovely little Succubus of mine, what classes may be ideas to take at my first class level, and as a side-note, if I should change my AC out as I level up.

Please and thank you all in advance?

Ualaa
2016-04-02, 07:42 AM
I like that the Paladin is melee focused, whether the flavor of the class or the story fits is up to you. A melee class is good, in that you'll have lost a large number of caster levels if you were to go with a spell caster. Other melee classes could provide a similar benefit; a Monk or Rogue will get you Evasion, and could be a decent in character choice in that the Exalted character has helped mitigate your evil nature, but that the process is not complete and that you're a shade of gray, as opposed to purely good (Paladin) or purely evil (Demon/Tanar'ri).

That is not saying that a spell caster is wrong, as going with a Sorcerer could get you a bunch of lower level spells which provide situational boosts. Mage Armor and Shield for AC, Invisibility, things like that... the damage per level abilities are so far back of a human or elf of your equivalent level, that they're not going to offer much benefit.

The Succubus has a pretty decent charm ability, that is racial. You could play on that, and use that tool to great effect.

Falcos
2016-04-02, 07:52 AM
I hadn't even thought about the Caster Level problem.

I've toyed with Rogue and Monk, but I feel like those classes aren't stressing the Charisma-esque side of things enough. I dunno.

Paladin still seems a really solid choice to me, story permitting, but I'm kind of paranoid I'm overlooking a more solid one.

I've dismissed Crusader because too few maneuvers work while Grappling (although I could be wrong on that), I've toyed with Bard and Sorcerer, but they seem a bit too heavily gimped by starting at such a late level... What other, more obscure, Charisma classes am I overlooking?

OldTrees1
2016-04-02, 08:06 AM
What power level does your group play at? You have given us some hints to that as you are using a Savage Species monster class and another player is using a Paladin (although Paladin can range from PHB-only Paladin thru A-Game Paladin).

Bard is commonly used for Cha based warriors but not for its spellcasting(so the delay will not hurt much). Bardic Music is prerequisite and fuel for the feat Snowflake Wardance(Cha to hit). The alternatives(Bow of Song and Slippers of Battledancing) don't work well in a grapple(not much does).

However something good or faith related (like Paladin) does sound more fitting for the planned story reasons.

Falcos
2016-04-02, 08:19 AM
We have a Scout who is the lowest-power member of the party and comfortable that way. In terms of strategy, they're doing a basic Skirmish-with-ranged-weapon tactic.

We have a Healer who is the Exalted character I was discussing. They have a ranged weapon that they're using to fill time, and they're also throwing around a few Sanctified spells, although they're a bit more cautious now after inadvertently blinding me temporarily.

We have me, a currently-classless Succubus who has pencilled in the goal of Paladin. As I said, grappler and lockdown with a snake for bitey fun.

And we have a Sha'ir, although he has been captured in the last session and I believe the player is going to make a Spellthief filler character. As a Sha'ir, they were doing a lot of AoE magic like Zone of Glacial Cold and summoning Celestial Badgers. ...They really like(d) their Celestial Badgers.

So nobody is really in the upper echelons of power here.

OldTrees1
2016-04-02, 08:54 AM
So nobody is really in the upper echelons of power here.

Paladin (maybe the CG Paladin of Freedom?) sounds just right then. It is in line with the other players and fits the story reasons quite well. I would suggest Bard if the conversion does not complete in time but it sounds like you don't need to look for much Cha synergy. Feel it out as you get closer to that critical level. If you feel you need a boost, take a few levels of Bard before the levels of Paladin.

MisterKaws
2016-04-02, 09:08 AM
You might try Paladin of Freedom from UA if you don't completely convert into LG; it's one of the few balanced things in UA.

Incarnate and Soulborn might also work, if you're into soul-stuff.

Âmesang
2016-04-02, 09:12 AM
Perhaps combine bard and paladin via Devoted Performer?

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-02, 11:15 AM
There's also the Marshall for Charisma synergy (in the Miniatures Handbook, same book as the Healer class). It gets auras that let you add your Cha bonus to various kinds of rolls made by you and your teammates (within 60 feet of you).

Also, it's possible that your succubus levels might qualify you for some prestige classes on their own. Just something else you might look into.

Gildedragon
2016-04-02, 11:35 AM
With a late level start: a prestige bard maybe?

Arael666
2016-04-02, 01:54 PM
Why not just build arround your charisma with itens and dips?

a one lvl dip into battledance from dragon compendium will grant CHA to AC; Slippers of Battledancing will let you use your cha on damage and to hit (might be good if you combo with devish); iajutsu master 5 will grant cha to damage and initiative; a one lvl dip in marshall will grant you and your allies nice bonuses

Dragrun
2016-04-02, 02:37 PM
If its on the table ur-priest is a good choice, and depending on how your DM rules it, you still qualify for paladin of LG/CG, due to your evil subtype. Having access to it gives you cleric shenanigans as well as a path to sapphire hierarch via totemist, because girallon arms are kinda good.

stack
2016-04-02, 04:44 PM
Any way to switch manifesting stat to charisma? Because then ardent could work.

darksolitaire
2016-04-02, 08:01 PM
Hexblade is pretty much the non-good version of Paladin.

tiercel
2016-04-02, 09:22 PM
Also, it's possible that your succubus levels might qualify you for some prestige classes on their own. Just something else you might look into.

Suel Arcanamach (gishy Cha-based arcanist, own spell progression) (Complete Arcane)
Holy Liberator (prestige-y CG paladin, has Divine Grace at L4) (Complete Divine)
Divine Crusader (prestige-y cleric, own limited spell progression, Cha-based) (Complete Divine)

Falcos
2016-04-02, 09:50 PM
I've consulted the DM, and he's said that he'd rather not variant Paladins from UA. So Paladin of Freedom is out.

Of the Paladin-alternative options, the ones suggested that grab me are Bard, Battle Dancer, Iaijutsu Master (Although I'm not sure if I can qualify for that with just my Succubus levels), and Marshal.

Although I'm now looking into Holy Liberator, and it seems a good choice if I make it to Good, but not Lawful.

Still taking further input, if anybody has any.

Also taking side-note input on good Animal Companion swapouts for my Viper if anybody has suggestions. :)

Mikalo
2016-04-02, 10:11 PM
Dread necromancer succubus
I played a half-nymph dread necro, it's fun being hot and cold at the same time

KillingAScarab
2016-04-02, 10:19 PM
Although I'm now looking into Holy Liberator, and it seems a good choice if I make it to Good, but not Lawful.I would suggest holy liberator over paladin of freedom, in your case. You gain a faster spell casting progression, a simpler rule for what spells are on the list, and a looser code of conduct. You do miss out on turn undead to power feats, but if you were going to use your feats for other things, that's not a problem.

Also taking side-note input on good Animal Companion swapouts for my Viper if anybody has suggestions. :)The celestial companion you gain as a holy liberator improves based upon your character level, which is much better than by class level. It gains dexterity, as well as two 10' speed increases. A celestial eagle would have weapon finesse on multiple natural attacks and fly at a speed of 90 or 100 feet.
And it would be in addition to your wild cohort.

Dragrun
2016-04-02, 11:47 PM
These ideas assume you are playing with tier 3-4 characters as party mates. As a high ecl monster race, you already put yourself at a disadvantage in the fact that you still have dead levels, a large amount in fact. Your class choices impact how you do, even more so than other races. Ive personally played a character similar to yours, and my build was
Succubus/Ur-Priest1/Totemist1/Sapphire Hierarch8. You qualify for Ur-Priest due to your evil subtype, and since you are going lawful you can sapphire hierarch. If ur-priest is too cheesy, sub it with fiend of blasphemy. An evil cult fighting for justice is quite flavorful, and giving your party buffs is good.

Ger. Bessa
2016-04-03, 06:47 AM
As above, look for prestige classes that you qualify for with your rhd. Here are a few suggestions :

-Knight of the Weave (CoV) : a FR arcane paladin with fast cha-based spellcasting. You can prestige over it a second time and get other class features while keeping it's progression. Setting dependant. (Suel Arcanamach is in the same vein)

-#Mindspy?# (CW) Can't remember its name, always confuse it with psibond agent. It's the one with a picture of a Doppelganger swashbuckler. If you wanna keep brawlin' this one uses the succubus' natural telepathy to read the oponent in battle and add the class level to hit and AC (and has full BAB).

-Iaijutsu Master : You thought of it and I guess why, it's like a melee nova blaster with your charisma. The big two requirements are 1) Lotta martial feats and 2) Requires Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill. So only think of it if you can reassign your outsider skill points once you take a level in samurai/factotum.

-OA shaman has divine grace by another name, domains and TU. Can get you into Dweomerkeeper quite easily. TU by itself is very good for you, as well as any other form of turning. Pack on those divine and devotion feats. Maybe get some smites.