PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Does Encouraging Roar buff the damage of spells/powers?

Feint's End
2016-04-02, 08:50 AM
Titel of the Thread.

Encouraging Roar reads:
ENCOURAGING ROAR
Discipline: Golden Lion (Boost)
Level: 1
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Range: 30-ft.
Target: Allies
Duration: One round
The disciple lets out shouts of encouragement to
bolster his allies in battle. All allies within 30-ft. of the
Golden Lion disciple gain a +2 morale bonus to attack
and damage rolls for one round."

Now it definitely applies to rays however my question is if it also applies to powers such as energy missile or spells such as fire ball. My argument was yes since it is the same form of damage as in, say, Energy Ray. It came up in one of our recent games where another player used encouraging roar and I was wondering if the damage bonus applies to the non lethal damage of my Stomp Power.

Opinions?

Sayt
2016-04-02, 06:01 PM
If the spell uses a attack roll and deals damage, then sure. It's an attack. Encouraging Roar buffs attacks.

Necroticplague
2016-04-02, 07:36 PM
Yes. A damage roll is a damage roll is a damage roll. It doesn't say it just increases the damage of attacks, so it applies to any time damage is rolled.

Feint's End
2016-04-03, 11:09 AM
Yes. A damage roll is a damage roll is a damage roll. It doesn't say it just increases the damage of attacks, so it applies to any time damage is rolled.

Yes that is also my argument. The maneuver doesn't specify that it only applies to weapon attacks or attacks with both attack and damage rolls. Therefor it should also apply to spells and powers without an attack roll but which have a damage roll such as fireball.

Sayt seems to disagree however if I understood him correctly.

Anyone else cares to chip in?

stack
2016-04-03, 11:43 AM
Probably should go in the DSP FAQ thread around here somewhere to get an official answer from the devs, as they frequent this board.