PDA

View Full Version : Half Orc blade/beam master of awesome

Spacehamster
2016-04-02, 09:31 AM
So came up with this build and idea for a future pc of mine, dark brooding shamanistic like warrior half Orc. His levels would be:
12 champion fighter(gwf style and defense style) 2 levels warlock(Devils sight and agonizing blast) 6 favored soul sorcerer(quicken meta magic, lvl 3 spells and bonus spells from domain of choice).

Take lvl 1 as fighter for heavy armor and gwf, 2-3 as warlock so you got that offensive cantrip goodness until more features are unlocked. 4 fighter for action surge 5-10 fav soul for feat/asi, spells, 2nd attack and meta magic. Take remaining levels in champion and profit.

Even works with point buy 15(17)/8/15(16)/8/8/15. Take first asi as plus 1 to CHA and STR, next take GWM, remaining 3 to pump CHA and STR to 20. Congratulations you are now a melee char with 3-4 attacks, possibility to cast eldritch blast 3 times at one turn, lots of 1-3 spells, that can fight in darkness with advantage and crits on 19-20. :)

In any case I do not really see any real weaknesses to the build as eldritch blast keeps you floating until first ASI and your 2nd attack. Thoughts?

Biggstick
2016-04-02, 12:58 PM
So came up with this build and idea for a future pc of mine, dark brooding shamanistic like warrior half Orc. His levels would be:
12 champion fighter(gwf style and defense style) 2 levels warlock(Devils sight and agonizing blast) 6 favored soul sorcerer(quicken meta magic, lvl 3 spells and bonus spells from domain of choice).

Take lvl 1 as fighter for heavy armor and gwf, 2-3 as warlock so you got that offensive cantrip goodness until more features are unlocked. 4 fighter for action surge 5-10 fav soul for feat/asi, spells, 2nd attack and meta magic. Take remaining levels in champion and profit.

Even works with point buy 15(17)/8/15(16)/8/8/15. Take first asi as plus 1 to CHA and STR, next take GWM, remaining 3 to pump CHA and STR to 20. Congratulations you are now a melee char with 3-4 attacks, possibility to cast eldritch blast 3 times at one turn, lots of 1-3 spells, that can fight in darkness with advantage and crits on 19-20. :)

In any case I do not really see any real weaknesses to the build as eldritch blast keeps you floating until first ASI and your 2nd attack. Thoughts?

I mean you're going to fail pretty much every wisdom save there is out there. The other thing to look at is you're playing a primary martial who won't have it's second attack until level 10. Your Darkness shenanigans also won't be online until 7 with this all over the place build (from the Sorcerer levels). You're also not getting your first feat until level 9!

I'd instead recommend starting Fighter and making it to at least level 5, and then going 3 levels of Warlock for your Darkness shenanigans. Now that you're level 8, figure out where you want to go from here. I personally don't really craft builds past level 10 as most games don't tend to make it too far past 10.

Spacehamster
2016-04-02, 02:02 PM
I mean you're going to fail pretty much every wisdom save there is out there. The other thing to look at is you're playing a primary martial who won't have it's second attack until level 10. Your Darkness shenanigans also won't be online until 7 with this all over the place build (from the Sorcerer levels). You're also not getting your first feat until level 9!

I'd instead recommend starting Fighter and making it to at least level 5, and then going 3 levels of Warlock for your Darkness shenanigans. Now that you're level 8, figure out where you want to go from here. I personally don't really craft builds past level 10 as most games don't tend to make it too far past 10.

Well as I said you got Eldritch blast with agonizing blast until you get the 2nd attack anyways. :) And also just said it can be done with point buy, with my rolled stats I would have a +3 on my non-proficient wis saves. :)

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-02, 02:27 PM
It's not bad but isn't awesome. 2 Warlock/X sorcerer (+2 fighter?) will have almost the whole game same or higher DPR with pulling back the enemy. Less mad. More sorcerery points and possibly wish (no fighter then). This just works too late. You could use EB till level 10 but worse than a 2 warlock / 8 sorcerer and wfter that you are a period behind in DPR

Spacehamster
2016-04-02, 04:53 PM
It's not bad but isn't awesome. 2 Warlock/X sorcerer (+2 fighter?) will have almost the whole game same or higher DPR with pulling back the enemy. Less mad. More sorcerery points and possibly wish (no fighter then). This just works too late. You could use EB till level 10 but worse than a 2 warlock / 8 sorcerer and wfter that you are a period behind in DPR

How is it worse then Lock/Sorc? Lock Sorc aint as good in melee and canīt do 3 Eldritch blasts in one round if he wants? Also its online from level 1, at lvl 1 you whack ppl over the head with big sword, at level 3 you can choose to do that or shoot beam at range, at 4 you can do both with action surge. Itīs never weak. Sure it does not get a huge boost before itīs late 2nd attack but it works just fine before too. :)

Oh and should have clarified that Iīm not after high level spells but a nice mix of good melee and some spell utility + good range. :)

Biggstick
2016-04-02, 05:13 PM
How is it worse then Lock/Sorc? Lock Sorc aint as good in melee and canīt do 3 Eldritch blasts in one round if he wants? Also its online from level 1, at lvl 1 you whack ppl over the head with big sword, at level 3 you can choose to do that or shoot beam at range, at 4 you can do both with action surge. Itīs never weak. Sure it does not get a huge boost before itīs late 2nd attack but it works just fine before too. :)

Oh and should have clarified that Iīm not after high level spells but a nice mix of good melee and some spell utility + good range. :)

Having access to Sorcerer meta magic allows you to Quicken a spell, this includes Eldritch Blast. At level 5 for 1 SP you can shoot off 2 EB's (4 actual beams) on a single turn. At level 11 you can shoot off 6 EB's (6 beams) for 1 SP a turn. You can also use Hex for pure DPR or cast Darkness upon yourself (abusing Devil's Sight from your Warlock Invocations). Casting Darkness on yourself gives you advantage on attack rolls against people who can't see in magical darkness as well as allows you to bail out of melee combat against targets who can't see.

You're going to be a weaker martial character if you lack a secondary attack. You're going to have a hard time even making it through a campaign unless you have a DM who's merciful (or you happen to roll extremely well in your levels 1-10).

What is the actual purpose of the character in combat? Is it a Tank? Is it a DPR? Is it a Nova character? What exactly are you trying to achieve in combat with this character?

Spacehamster
2016-04-02, 05:29 PM
Having access to Sorcerer meta magic allows you to Quicken a spell, this includes Eldritch Blast. At level 5 for 1 SP you can shoot off 2 EB's (4 actual beams) on a single turn. At level 11 you can shoot off 6 EB's (6 beams) for 1 SP a turn. You can also use Hex for pure DPR or cast Darkness upon yourself (abusing Devil's Sight from your Warlock Invocations). Casting Darkness on yourself gives you advantage on attack rolls against people who can't see in magical darkness as well as allows you to bail out of melee combat against targets who can't see.

You're going to be a weaker martial character if you lack a secondary attack. You're going to have a hard time even making it through a campaign unless you have a DM who's merciful (or you happen to roll extremely well in your levels 1-10).

What is the actual purpose of the character in combat? Is it a Tank? Is it a DPR? Is it a Nova character? What exactly are you trying to achieve in combat with this character?

Achieve a char that is good in both ranged and melee equally, but aint quicken 2sp or am I remembering wrong? This char will have quicken too as I stated so he can do 3 eldritch blasts in a Nova round, or 1 blast + attack action + action surge another attack action. But now that I think about it, it's much more practical to start with 6 levels of fighter and after that go for the other classes. Better to get two feats/ASI's by level 6 then 1 by level 8. :)

On a different note: What is the % of getting a critical hit when attacking with advantage and 19-20 criticals? Thinking of darkness + devils sight combo.