PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd

Ticklewish
2016-04-02, 10:08 AM
Just a bat signal for help. A group of us have decided to return to role playing and figured Strahd would be the perfect opportunity.
Thus far we have a classic paladin, and have two more players. In times past we would try and shore up the party so we could be as versatile as possible.

My questions are:

1-can we reliably run the module with three players only?
2-what classes would supplement the paladin well in this edition?
3-what classes would be solid and fun for this module?

Many thanks!
tw

gullveig
2016-04-02, 10:18 AM
1. Yes.
2. Anyone.
3. Anyone.

pwykersotz
2016-04-02, 10:20 AM
It'll be tough with less than 4, but should be doable.

A Cleric would be good to have along. Other than that, any mix you like should do well.

Ticklewish
2016-04-02, 10:30 AM
I am a big fan of fluff characters and I wanted to play a gypsy lore bard but didn't know if that would be a waste.

pwykersotz
2016-04-02, 10:34 AM
I am a big fan of fluff characters and I wanted to play a gypsy lore bard but didn't know if that would be a waste.

I've read the module and I can't imagine that it would be a problem. That sounds like a great character!

coredump
2016-04-02, 11:43 AM
Mechanically, a party of 3 increases the "Encounter XP difficulty modifier" by a level. So it assumes a single creature is 1.5 its listed CR, two creatures would be 2x their listed CR, etc.

So the players will want to be extra cautious and the DM may want to scale some things back. Another option is for the DM to create an NPC that travels with the players.

pwykersotz
2016-04-02, 11:45 AM
Mechanically, a party of 3 increases the "Encounter XP difficulty modifier" by a level. So it assumes a single creature is 1.5 its listed CR, two creatures would be 2x their listed CR, etc.

So the players will want to be extra cautious and the DM may want to scale some things back. Another option is for the DM to create an NPC that travels with the players.

This is readily done in the module without any extra effort.

Ticklewish
2016-04-02, 11:51 AM
So understanding that any characters will be fine...

A Paladin, a Cleric, and a Bard? This will be interesting!

kaoskonfety
2016-04-02, 12:15 PM
This is readily done in the module without any extra effort.

it's actually Strahd helping the party. The guy in the castle is a simulacrum...

Tarvil
2016-04-02, 12:21 PM
A Paladin, a Cleric, and a Bard? This will be interesting!

Two holy men and theit Vistani guide? Awesome.