PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Breaking the Outcast Champion

mabriss lethe
2016-04-02, 02:09 PM
Outcast Champion looks like a lot of fun and it also looks like there should be a number of ways to exploit and expand on the 5 level PrC.

I'm looking for ways to juggle Desperate Fury close to at-will.

I'm thinking of either Half-orc Barbarian or Half-orc paragon as one of the cores of the build, since it would grant rage, letting the character jump right into deseperate fury when a rage ends. ( I'm also considering dipping marshal and grabbing draconic aura and dragontouched feats. (I suppose Deepwyrm Half-drow Barbarian would also work as a core component and remove the need for dragontouched.)

I'm looking for any abilities that cause fatigue in exchange for something useful. As well as any abilities that can cure fatigue. I'm really just drawing a blank right now.

The Viscount
2016-04-04, 03:29 PM
If you want to skip dragontouched you can always simply go frostblood half-orc.

If you're going marshal be careful about switching your marshal auras for the ones offered, you can normally only project 1 draconic aura at a time, unless you have double draconic aura.

I'm confused on what you mean triggering Desperate Fury "at will" since the ability is only 1/day. If you want to be able to trigger it any time I suppose you could trade some marshal levels for dragon shaman and use vigor to keep yourself at just above half, so you activate whenever you are damaged.

If you want to get there by simply fatiguing yourself, Cumbrous Dodge will do it.

To cure it, combine healing with the Caduceus Bracers.

MisterKaws
2016-04-04, 04:54 PM
Can you IHS fatigue?

ATHATH
2016-04-04, 05:01 PM
Why is a +2 morale bonus to your physical stats worth 3 levels and debuffing yourself to you?

mabriss lethe
2016-04-05, 08:04 PM
If you want to skip dragontouched you can always simply go frostblood half-orc.

If you're going marshal be careful about switching your marshal auras for the ones offered, you can normally only project 1 draconic aura at a time, unless you have double draconic aura.

I'm confused on what you mean triggering Desperate Fury "at will" since the ability is only 1/day. If you want to be able to trigger it any time I suppose you could trade some marshal levels for dragon shaman and use vigor to keep yourself at just above half, so you activate whenever you are damaged.

If you want to get there by simply fatiguing yourself, Cumbrous Dodge will do it.

To cure it, combine healing with the Caduceus Bracers.

Funny. I'd read through the PrC multiple times and somehow always skipped over it being 1/day. Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that it triggered any time one of the criteria had been met. (probably because it seems like a waste for a 1/day and like most 1/day abilities doesn't bother to reference that fact in the table.) Ah well, never mind. That sort of punks the whole idea I had.

As for the race, I'd been avoiding frostblooded half-orc because of the fire vulnerability. I figured Deepwyrm half-drow would work out better anyway.

The Viscount
2016-04-06, 02:37 PM
That's a fair reason to avoid it. You can cover for that weakness with Blazing Berserker, or for the below idea just use any other dragonblood race as normal.

Related to this ability is the Berserker Strength ACF from PHBII. The advantage is that it activates unlimited times per day when your health falls below a cap. It grants +4 Str, +2 saves, and DR 2/- (which stacks with other) in place of normal bonuses, and increases at appropriate levels. The downside is that it only activates when your health is below 5x your barbarian level so to keep it viable you have to stay in and not PrC out. That being said if you do stay in you can activate it pretty easily (especially since you don't need Con anymore) and it explicitly activates anything that activates during rage. There's fun to be had here, because there are a good number of feats that are strong because they only act during rage (like Blazing Berserker and Frozen Berserker, which can be taken together.)