PDA

View Full Version : Highest Possible AC and HP

Aldarin
2016-04-02, 05:51 PM
Highest Possible AC/HP
Note: For the purpose of this exercise, I will not consider books that improve ability scores.

Highest Possible AC:
Barbarian with Con 24/Dex 20. Makes AC 22
Throw on a +3 shield, makes AC 27
Be behind 3-quarters cover, makes AC 32
Have the barbarian take Magic Initiate and take Shield. When cast, makes AC 37
Be attuned to a Defender and transfer all bonus to AC, makes AC 40
Be attuned to Wand of Orcus, protection feature makes AC 43
Be granted a Blessing of Protection, makes AC 44
Be attuned to a Ring/Cloak of protection, makes AC 45
Take Martial Adept and roll a 6 on the superiority die, makes AC 51
Have Shield Of Faith cast on you, makes AC 53
Have Warding Bond cast on you with the other within 60 feet of you, makes AC 54
Have Haste cast on you, makes AC 56
IN YOUR FACES, TARRASQUES!

Highest Possible HP:
Barbarian with Con 24. Roll 12s on all hit dice. Makes HP 380
Be a hill dwarf. Makes HP 400
Take the Tough feat, makes HP 440
IN YOUR FACE AGAIN, TARRASQUES!

If there's anything I'm missing on either of the calculations, I'll add it in straightaway.

Thanks,
Aldarin

Mjolnirbear
2016-04-02, 07:04 PM
Blessings, Defender, +3 shield, and a WAND OF ORCUS, but a manual of gainful exercise is too much??

JumboWheat01
2016-04-02, 07:11 PM
Gods, that's a character who could survive a DM-induced "rocks fall, everyone dies" fit of angst.

...Did we just design up Chuck Norris in 5th Edition?

pwykersotz
2016-04-02, 07:11 PM
Blessings, Defender, +3 shield, and a WAND OF ORCUS, but a manual of gainful exercise is too much??

Yes. He plans on skipping leg day, which the manual would not allow.

RickAllison
2016-04-02, 07:12 PM

Probably because the manuals have a theoretically infinite maximum AC, while the other ones are limited in some way.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-04-02, 07:26 PM
"Come out from behind 3-quarters cover and fight, you coward!"

"Never! ... I wouldn't be optimized any more."

JumboWheat01
2016-04-02, 07:30 PM
"Come out from behind 3-quarters cover and fight, you coward!"

"Never! ... I wouldn't be optimized any more."

Disintegrate is the go-to solution for any and all cover problems.

Zman
2016-04-02, 07:47 PM
And you'll still die to an army of Goblins with Shortbows! A 20 is a 20, d6+1 HP at a time.

NewDM
2016-04-02, 08:04 PM
You forgot Mirror Image for virtually another +30/20/10 AC and Stone Skin for virtually 2x hp.

Shaofoo
2016-04-02, 08:07 PM
You could also add in Martial Adept and evasive foorwork so you can also add up to +6 AC avg +3 AC while moving

Aldarin
2016-04-03, 10:15 AM

Did you not see that I said that no manuals would be used? Read my post next time, if you please. My reason for that is that you could get infinite AC and HP with the manuals of quickness of action and the constitution manual.

HoarsHalberd
2016-04-03, 10:15 AM
Probably because the manuals have a theoretically infinite maximum AC, while the other ones are limited in some way.

No they don't Manuals only go to 30. So an extra potential 8 AC.

Aldarin
2016-04-03, 10:16 AM
No they don't Manuals only go to 30. So an extra potential 8 AC.

Incorrect. They go infinitely.

Aldarin
2016-04-03, 10:25 AM
Disintegrate is the go-to solution for any and all cover problems.

When you're behind cover, you get a bonus to DEX saves as well.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-03, 10:27 AM
And you'll still die to an army of Goblins with Shortbows! A 20 is a 20, d6+1 HP at a time.

A 20 is a crit, so while 95% of them miss, the remaining 5% will do 2d6+1 each (average 8 dmg per crit, or 0.4 per attack).

It would take about (440/0.4) = 1,100 shortbow shots to KO our barbarian. If he's raging the whole time, that doubles to 2,200.

supergoji18
2016-04-03, 10:29 AM
Incorrect. They go infinitely.

incorrect. They go to 30.

5e has a hard cap on ability scores at 30. Hence why the Tarrasque isn't boasting a 50+ strength score, and the Dragons have been cut down to a 30 as well. If you want a score above 30, you need to change one of the fundamental rules of the 5e system, which is pointless because then it doesn't make it the same system anymore.

So you could go up to 30 as the maximum.

who said he was aiming for the barbarian?

Aldarin
2016-04-03, 10:34 AM
incorrect. They go to 30.

5e has a hard cap on ability scores at 30. Hence why the Tarrasque isn't boasting a 50+ strength score, and the Dragons have been cut down to a 30 as well. If you want a score above 30, you need to change one of the fundamental rules of the 5e system, which is pointless because then it doesn't make it the same system anymore.

So you could go up to 30 as the maximum.

who said he was aiming for the barbarian?

DMG p.180. 'If you spend 48 hours over a period of 6 days or fewer studying the book's contents and practicing its guidelines, your Constitution score increases by 2, as does your maximum for that score. The manual then loses its magic, but regains it in a century.'

Seeing as the DMG is the core rulebook for 5e, I'd say that it can go beyond 30, but you can think what you want.

Nobody said he was aiming for the barbarian, but as he said that disintegrate 'solved all cover problems' I told him that cover boosts DEX saves.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-03, 10:40 AM
DMG p.180. 'If you spend 48 hours over a period of 6 days or fewer studying the book's contents and practicing its guidelines, your Constitution score increases by 2, as does your maximum for that score. The manual then loses its magic, but regains it in a century.'

Seeing as the DMG is the core rulebook for 5e, I'd say that it can go beyond 30, but you can think what you want.

That's referring to the 'soft cap' of 20 that can be exceeded by magic items and certain class features. The 'hard cap' of 30 cannot be exceeded by any means. It is the highest possible ability score unless WotC decides otherwise.

PHB 173. It says the range of possible ability scores is 1 to 30. Even monsters and divine beings cannot exceed that number.

Aldarin
2016-04-03, 10:43 AM
That's referring to the 'soft cap' of 20 that can be exceeded by magic items and certain class features. The 'hard cap' of 30 cannot be exceeded by any means. It is the highest possible ability score unless WotC decides otherwise.

PHB 173. It says the range of possible ability scores is 1 to 30. Even monsters and divine beings cannot exceed that number.

All of my DMs have lowered, lifted, or entirely ignored that cap. That's just the way I have played and I currently play. I respect your opinions, as I hope you respect mine. If you wish, I will add a Manual to the calculations.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-03, 10:48 AM

But the cover doesn't get a DEX save. It doesn't get a save at all. It just gets disintegrated.

NewDM
2016-04-03, 11:26 AM
But the cover doesn't get a DEX save. It doesn't get a save at all. It just gets disintegrated.

Wait, so as a Wizard I can line 2 enemies up and fire at the further one to instantly destroy the closer? I like disintegrate now.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-03, 11:42 AM

If I can get the bad guys to waste their 6th level spell slots and their actions disintegrating a table or a wall segment instead of my team, I'm happy.

All of my DMs have lowered, lifted, or entirely ignored that cap. That's just the way I have played and I currently play. I respect your opinions, as I hope you respect mine. If you wish, I will add a Manual to the calculations.

If you want. It's a fine houserule, just try not to present it as RAW.

Princess
2016-04-03, 09:59 PM

Pretty good chance that's already included if you have 2 20's and still can take all those feats. Barbarians don't get extra ASI's, and you'd need like 16 dex/18 con to start, which means you are already much loved of the gods. Or they would be jealous and smite you, and there are no stats for them in this edition so that means the DM just takes your character sheet away.

ShikomeKidoMi
2016-04-03, 11:33 PM
Well, it's only good against one attack per round, but if you make that Defender a finesse sword, then you can also take Defensive Dueling and crank your AC even further.... if you have the feats to spare after cranking those attributes so high.

krugaan
2016-04-04, 12:21 AM
Yes. He plans on skipping leg day, which the manual would not allow.

I laughed way harder at that than I should have

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-04, 12:27 AM
Be behind 3/4 cover...

Just be behind full cover and do not care about your AC!

No books with bonusses in ability scores but you do have all those legendary and (very) rare item. Even the wand of Orcus...

Princess
2016-04-04, 01:16 AM
Well, it's only good against one attack per round, but if you make that Defender a finesse sword, then you can also take Defensive Dueling and crank your AC even further.... if you have the feats to spare after cranking those attributes so high.

That's actually a better plan than the magic initiate feat, at level 20 anyway.

Firechanter
2016-04-04, 08:37 AM
Yes, in your face, Tarrasque... but... what do you do in the _second_ round? And every round after that?

Aldarin
2016-04-04, 11:16 AM
Pretty good chance that's already included if you have 2 20's and still can take all those feats. Barbarians don't get extra ASI's, and you'd need like 16 dex/18 con to start, which means you are already much loved of the gods. Or they would be jealous and smite you, and there are no stats for them in this edition so that means the DM just takes your character sheet away.

Or they rolled their stats. I always roll stats.

Douche
2016-04-04, 11:52 AM
And yet a crit will automatically hit, no matter what. That's why I dislike crits (and after reading the Angry GM article on why they suck)

Fun exercise, though. Cool to see someone thought this out :smallbiggrin:

Now what's the highest + to hit modifier any monster has? Can't be higher than +20, right? Cuz really you'd only need 39 AC maximum, I think. That way they can roll a 19 and still not hit you regardless of their modifier.

Unless there's a monster with like +40 to hit, in which case, goddamn it WotC

Aldarin
2016-04-04, 12:08 PM
And yet a crit will automatically hit, no matter what. That's why I dislike crits (and after reading the Angry GM article on why they suck)

Now what's the highest + to hit modifier any monster has? Can't be higher than +20, right? Cuz really you'd only need 39 AC maximum, I think. That way they can roll a 19 and still not hit you regardless of their modifier.

Haha. The Tarrasque and Tiamat both have +19 to hit, if memory serves. Although, I'll work out highest possible to-hit.

EDIT: Here it is, highest possible to-hit.

Manual of Quickness of Action bringing DEX to 30
20th lvl character with Ioun stone of Mastery, makes to-hit +17
Archery fighting style, makes to-hit +19
Epic Boon of peerless aim, when used makes to-hit +39
A +3 bow, makes to-hit +42

Wow. Just wow.

Aldarin
2016-04-04, 12:14 PM
Yes, in your face, Tarrasque... but... what do you do in the _second_ round? And every round after that?

In the second round and every round after that, you still have 35 AC. Pretty damn good in my opinion.

Douche
2016-04-04, 12:33 PM
Haha. The Tarrasque and Tiamat both have +19 to hit, if memory serves. Although, I'll work out highest possible to-hit.

Wow. Just wow.

Amazing. I'd give you a high five right now if I could

PeteNutButter
2016-04-04, 12:47 PM
Highest Possible AC/HP
Note: For the purpose of this exercise, I will not consider books that improve ability scores.

Highest Possible AC:

Highest Possible HP:
Barbarian with Con 24. Roll 12s on all hit dice. Makes HP 380
Be a hill dwarf. Makes HP 400
Take the Tough feat, makes HP 440
IN YOUR FACE AGAIN, TARRASQUES!

If there's anything I'm missing on either of the calculations, I'll add it in straightaway.

Thanks,
Aldarin

A Bladesinger 2/fighter 10/barbarian 1/Ranger 7 with, defender weapon, bracers of defense, ring and blessing of protection. Has 15+5+5+3+2+1+1= 32 while singing and can spam cast shield for days for 37.
That's 42 with your 3/4 cover, and 45 if you managed to get that wand of orcus. Then you are a 10th lvl BM so you can roll a 10 on your superiority die, making AC 55. But since the bladesinger isn't burdened by a shield, he can take the DW feat and bump it to 56.

That seventh level in ranger gives a stacking +4 AC to for each time they hit you potentially adding (x-1)*4 AC where x is the number of attacks the foe makes a round. Offhand the Marilith makes 7 attacks, so thats 24 more AC assuming she rolls all nat 20s, or 28 more AC against an attack than can't happen unless she somehow makes you provoke an AoO on her turn.

Potentially 84 AC? Unless there are monsters that have more attacks.

Hps would suffer a tad though.:smallcool:

EDIT: If we are factoring in teammates adding buff spells, your cleric could cast shield of faith on you and your wizard haste for another +4.

Douche
2016-04-04, 12:57 PM
Actually, couldn't you also have a cleric cast Shield of Faith on you for another +2 AC? Or are we trying to get all the AC out of a single source?

krugaan
2016-04-04, 01:36 PM
If you want. It's a fine houserule, just try not to present it as RAW.

Hah, it's not the ignorance, it's the hubris that's galling.

On the Internet, the only crime is being wrong!

And I am not a criminal! Therefore, you must be wrong.

... You criminal.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-04, 01:59 PM
Didn't read all responses. Friends protect you with shield of faith, haste (+2 and dodge action), and warding bond.

Oramac
2016-04-04, 02:34 PM

I may have missed it, but if your friendly neighborhood paladin casts Shield of Faith on you that's another +2 AC.

EDIT: dammit. Sliceanddicekid beat me to the punch. Well played.

Douche
2016-04-04, 03:19 PM
I may have missed it, but if your friendly neighborhood paladin casts Shield of Faith on you that's another +2 AC.

Douche beat both of y'all to the punch

But he had the cleric cast it cuz the Paladin is too busy spamming smite to use a spell slot on this uber-AC thought experiment

Rhaegar
2016-04-04, 03:28 PM

Tarrasque has a +19 to hit, if there's any higher I haven't seen it. Of course that's just the base +hit. The next obvious question is what is the highest possible +hit anyone can have.

Aldarin
2016-04-04, 03:36 PM
What's ridiculous is that theoretically, rolling all 2 18s, the highest AC and HP could be on the same person.

What have I created...

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-04, 04:19 PM

Don't hate the poster, hate the...
Naw, the game is pretty frickin cool.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-04, 04:24 PM
Highest Possible AC/HP

Highest Possible AC:

Aldarin

This has been fun. Thanks for posting!

Giant2005
2016-04-04, 09:36 PM
Highest Possible AC:
Have Shield Of Faith cast on you, makes AC 53
Have Warding Bond cast on you with the other within 60 feet of you, makes AC 54
Have Haste cast on you, makes AC 56

You can get 6 more points by being a Were-Bear for +1, ditching the Shield spell for the sake of Defensive Duelist, and ditching the Ring/Cloak of Protection for the sake of a Dragon Mask (and having 20 Charisma).

Goodberry
2016-04-05, 07:28 AM

Wow. Just wow.

+3 ammo stacks with +3 bow, and I believe there is a Battlemaster maneuver that adds to attack roll. There's more too, but I don't have my books.

Douche
2016-04-05, 07:32 AM
+3 ammo stacks with +3 bow, and I believe there is a Battlemaster maneuver that adds to attack roll. There's more too, but I don't have my books.

And if we're adding in allies helping, you have Bless and Bardic inspiration. Probably other stuff too

ProphetSword
2016-04-05, 07:49 AM

...your well-armored character screams, as he flees the battlefield from failing the Frightful Presence check given off by the Tarrasque... :smallcool:

Princess
2016-04-05, 07:55 PM
Or they rolled their stats. I always roll stats.

Rolling that high means you are much loved by the *dice* Gods. Some sort of divine favor is present in a character with amazing stats.

What's ridiculous is that theoretically, rolling all 2 18s, the highest AC and HP could be on the same person.

What have I created...

And the highest saves, too, if they are a Paladin who also rolled well on Charisma. But then all the monsters just avoid you and try to kill your friends and loved ones instead.

...your well-armored character screams, as he flees the battlefield from failing the Frightful Presence check given off by the Tarrasque... :smallcool:

Every party benefits from having a maximum charisma Paladin hanging out, sharing those auras. And now they come in every alignment, for added convenience for the murderous drifters who like to impersonate heroes.