PDA

View Full Version : Almighty Claw of Malar

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-03, 02:38 AM
WARNING: It was my first build and contains some bugs. So take this with care. The new version you can find here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518880-Almighty-Claw-of-Malar-(v2-0)-a-monk-warlock-gish).

Introduction:
Welcome to my first build here on the forum. I hope that my POV on some abilities/rulings is not in conflict with RAW/RAI ( I guess some things will be up to the DM, like always when it comes to optimization^^). I'll try to explain my understanding of the rules for the few shady points as good as possible.

The Build is inspired by many cartoon/manga/anime super-heroes. If you want to have some Dragon Ball Z feeling with your hero, you are welcome:smallbiggrin:
Another big impact on the build had "Buddhas Hand", a special attack as shown in the comedy film Kung Fu Hustle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Etw_BwRoY)

I thought an unarmed dive/charge build would be a nice idea for a build. It should be something monkish with some arcane power added, to rise the Powerlevel up to OVER 9000 !!!
Than I stepped over Eldritch Claws from the Dragon Magazine and the idea was born for a Monk/Warlock/Enlightened Fist/X build.

A few weeks and dozens of rulebooks later, I finally wanna show you the...

Almighty Claw of Malar

Dogma
Survival of the fittest and the winnowing of the weak are Malar's legacy. A brutal, bloody death or kill has great meaning. The crux of life is the challenge between the hunter and the prey, the determination of who lives or dies. View every important task as a hunt. Remain ever alert and alive. Walk the wilderness without trepidation, and show no fear to the hunt. Savagery and strong emotions defeat reason and careful thought in all things. Taste the blood of those you slay, and never kill from a distance. Work against those who cut back the forest and who kill beasts solely because they are dangerous. Slay not the young, the pregnant, or deepspawn so that prey will remain plentiful.

Starting Ability Scores:
(32-Points buyout)
STR: 16 (all Points insert here, from lvlUp / Tome)
DEX: 14
CON: 10
INT: 14
WIS: 14
CHA: 10

Level
Class
BAB (*)
Feats
Class Features

1st
Monk (1)
+0 (+0)
Imp.Disarm
Stunning Fist
Deflecting Arrows
Unarmed Strike 1D6
Flurry of Blows (-2)
Monk AC Bonus

2nd
Monk (2)
+1 (+1)
Combat Reflexes
Evasion

3rd
Warlock (1)
+1 (+2)
Combat Casting
Eldritch Blast 1D6
See the Unseen

4th
Warlock (2)
+2 (+3)
-
Detect Magic
Spider Walk

5th
Warlock (3)
+3 (+3)
-
Eldritch Blast 2D6
Damage Reduction
1/cold iron

6th
Enlightened Fist (1)
+3 (+4)
Eldritch Claws
Ki Strike (magic)
Speed Bonus: +10ft.

7th
Enlightened Fist (2)
+4 (+5)
-
Unarmed Strike 1D8
Fist of Energy
Hideous Blow

8th
Enlightened Fist (3)
+5 (+6)
-
Eldritch Blast 3D6
Monk AC Bonus (+1)
Arcane Fist

9th
Enlightened Fist (4)
+5 (+6)
Beast Strike
Speed Bonus: +20ft.
Fell Flight
-Spiderwalk-
Entropic Warding

10th
Enlightened Fist (5)
+6 (+7)
-
Eldritch Blast 4D6
Arcane Rejuvination

11th
Enlightened Fist (6)
+7 (+8)
-
Unarmed Strike 1D10
Fist of Energy (Burst)

12th
Enlightened Fist (7)
+8 (+9)
Power Attack
Speed Bonus: +30ft.
Hold Ray
Ignore the Pyre

13th
Enlightened Fist (8)
+8 (+9)
-
Monk AC Bonus (+2)
Eldritch Blast 5D6

14th
Enlightened Fist (9)
+9 (+10)

Diamond Soul
Walk Unseen

15th
Enlightened Fist (10)
+10 (+11)
Combat Expertise
Unarmed Strike 2D6
Speed Bonus: +40ft.
Eldritch Blast 3D6
**Hellspawned Grace**

16th
Monk of the Enabled Hand (1)
+10 (+12)
-
Shim Soo "Mind over Hand"

17th
Monk of the Enabled Hand (2)
+11 (+12)
-
Ki Strike (lawful)

18th
Monk of the Enabled Hand (3)
+12 (+13)
Flying Kick
Monk AC Bonus (+3)
Flurry of Blows (-1)
Speed Bonus: +50ft.
Kal Soo "Reverse Hand"

19th
Monk of the Enabled Hand (4)
+13 (+14)

Unarmed Strike 2D8
Kong Soo "Empty Hand"

20th
Monk of the Enabled Hand (5)
+13 (+15)

Lung Soo "Dragon's Tail Sap"

* fractional BAB
**Hellspawned Grace** is just for the flavor and exchangeable
-Spiderwalk- once you have Fell Flight this gets exchanged

Necklace of Natural Weapons +5 (+9 for pricing*)
+ Collusion (+2) = +5 damage
+ Valorous (+1) = x2 multiplier for charge
+ Warning (+1) = +5 initiative
+ Sizing = choose any size for your weapon (unarmed strike)
+ Vanishing = short range swift action teleport for utility/flavor
*if one +9 item is to expensive you can split this into 2 items. e.g. Bracers of Striking +5 for the attack/dmg bonus and the necklace +1(+5) for the named weapon bonuses.

Rings of Force Armor
+5 armor, ghost touch + 1W4 force dmg unarmed

Sandals of the Tiger's Leap
x2 multiplier for unarmed charge

Monk's Tattoo
+4Monk lvl for unarmed dmg, speed and AC

Belt of Battle
extra actions for utility

+6 Str Gauntlets

+5 Str Tome

Bracers of the Blinding Strike
Improved Initiative for free

Combat

Kill the "Big Ones" first, so that the weaker have a chance to beg for mercy

How-to execute the "Almighty Claw of Malar":
You should have all your invocation buffs already on (24h). You are flying, invisible, have energy resistance 13 to a chosen type.
The only thing to to before combat is to charge your "Hideous Blow".
When the combat starts:
- activate "Fist of Energy" (fire or lightning)
- activate your "Eldritch Claws" (free action)
- declare to use "Shim Soo" & "Lung Soo".
- size your claws to colossal (the unarmed damage part, Eldritch Claws doesn't scale) into.
- +15 Power Attack
- stand up, raise your hand like a claw in the air and yell:

"By the Power of Malar... I have THE POWER!"

- dive/charge attack the biggest enemy :smallfurious:
- Enjoy the bloodbath that you caused :smallcool:

The Attack Roll:
+15 BAB (fractional)
+12 Str Bonus
+5 Necklace of Natural Attacks
+2 Invisible
+1 Attack from Above
+2 Charge
-8 Colossal Size Unarmed Strike
-15 Power Attack
= +14
At first +14 may sound low for a lvl 20 character/encounter, but you have to keep in mind that you are invisible, which denies dex/dodge bonuses, and that "Shim Soo" ignores (natural-) Armor. This leaves your enemy with his base AC of 10 + size + deflection bonus, which should be a guaranteed hit.

Charge Damage:
Now we get to the tricky part. The unarmed dmg of a lvl20 monk is 2D10, Eldritch Blast deals 6D6.
Eldritch Claws: 2D10 + 6D6 + Str
Beast Strike: 4D10 +6D6 + 12
colossal size Beast Srike: 20D8 + 6D6 + 12
now add the additional attack from "Hideous Blow", "Power Attack"(15), "Collision" & +5 to it
= 20D8 +6D6 + 6D6 + 15 + 5 + 5 + 12 = 20D8 + 12D6 + 37
add the Charge multiplier (Dive, Valorous, Flying Kick, Sandals of the Tigers Leap) = x5
= 100D8 + 60D6 + 185

min. = 345
~ = 845
max. = 1345

and now the "Lung Soo" Damage:

The foe takes an additional amount of damage from the attack equal to the number of feet she is knocked back.
Since "Lung Soo" damage is declared as additional damage, it is part of the charge damage. Therefor it should profit from the charge multipliers.
= 1 x feet x 5
= 1 feet = 5
the enemy moves 5 feet per point difference, that you rolled higher on the Bullrush-check (+22).
min. 1 Point (5ft.) = 25
~ 10 Points (50ft.) = 250
max. 21 Points (105 ft.) = 525

Full Damage of the Attack:
min. = 345 + 25 = 370
~ = 845 + 250 = 1095
max. = 1345 + 675 = 2020 (crit 4040)

Well, not over 9000, but still impressive I guess:smallsmile:
Oh.. I forgot the 1D6 for Fist of Energy, may bad. But it doesn't get multiplied, so it won't have any real meaning in the calculation.

Still not dead?
If someone should somehow manage to survive your Almighty Claw (because your target was possibly a god or something like that), you can use "Vanish" to follow him immediately. You'll teleport in your enemies path from "Lung Soo" and just wait for him to pass by and let him provoke an AoO from you:smallwink:

IMHO it is a bit hard to guess fully, how it should be handled in damage calculation.

If you hit, the target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast (including any eldritch essence applied to the blast). This damage is in addition to any weapon damage that you deal with your attack, although you need not deal damage with this attack to trigger the eldritch blast effect.
The 2nd sentence implies, that it should/could be handled as extra damage dice to your weapon damage. But on the contrary, the 1st sentence says that "the target is affected as if struck by your eldritch blast" and Eldritch Blast can crit. You also have to consider that "Hideous Blow" is just a Blast Shape, which further implies that it still possesses its ability to crit. Imho "Hideous Blow" isn't an weapon enchantment, it is a Double-Attack. This is the reason why I used full charge multipliers for "HB". You(r DM) may rule otherwise, but I don't think that I am alone with this opinion/way of ruling. Feel free to share your thoughts/rulings on this (just be gentle^^). And even if you don't multiply the Hideous Blow dmg, it won't make that much of a difference in your dmg output. The Beast Strike (unarmed attack Sizing) part is much bigger than the Hideous Blow part of your damage. In the end, who cares if your enemy is going to die anyway:smallbiggrin:

Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
The first paragraph is just about the penalities. It means that for 4 times size increase, we lose -8 on the attack roll. The second paragraph says, that if due to size difference the weapon is not considered at least as a two handed weapon, you can't wild it. But..

An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon So you can wild your unarmed strike, despite their size and attack roll penalities.
Chouji - Baika no Jutsu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6kbdlm0bPo)

Other Stuff

Movement Speed:
Base: 30 ft.
Monk Speed Bonus: +60 ft. (to all forms of movement the monk possesses)
Landspeed: 30 + 60 = 90 ft.
Fell Flight: landspeed + monk speed bonus = 90 + 60 = 150 ft. flyspeed
From the official D&D FAQ Updated 6/30/08

Does the monk’s fast movement class feature apply to
all forms of movement?
Since the entry doesn’t limit the bonus to just the character’s land speed, it’s fair to apply it to all speeds the character possesses.

Hellspawned Grace:
As said, this Invocation is just for the flavor. It fit's the character background as a servant of Malar. The downsides are the Polymorph Subschool rules. And compared to spells from other classes, who always have some kind of expections to the rules to make it useable, Hellspawned Grace doesn't. You replace your Stats completely with that of a Hellhound. No Spells, no Class-Ablilities, stuck on the creatures BAB & Saves, just no progress at all. You get some nice combat abilities, but you lose much more from your classes&lvl. So it' isn't really combot reliable expect from a few scenarios (when you want to abuse the improved invisibility, or the damage reduction against hordes of small trash enemies).
The telepathy ability is the only real utility you get from it. As said, just for flavor and easy replaceable.

Replacement for Hellspawned Grace:

Voidsense:
Blindsense 30ft. isn't that bad, you may have see invisible you might say, but checking trough doors/walls is allways nice. Wanna break in trough the roof and charge your enemy to death? Take this :smallwink:

Enervating Shadow:
Concealment in areas that aren't brightly lit. creatures in 5ft. range get Str-4/Fortitude Save (don't expect the debuff to work with your low Cha^^). Further the Save is froced on your enemies turn, so your charge attack on the 1st round woun't profit from it :( It's just for the concealment bonus.

Caustic Mire:
Excelent CC for this build. No Save/SR allowed. Each square cost 2 movement and deals 1D6 damage. Your groups caster will profit from it too (+1dmg per dice with firespells). Imho the best replacement for Hellspawned Grace, but it isn't a must have neither for this build.

Vitriolic Blast:
Wanna add some laughable DoT to your "Hideous Blow"? The real point is, that it is ignoring SR. Again nice, but no must-have.

Eldritch Cone/Line:
If you wanna have some AoE tools, you could take them. Just keep in mind that your EB only does 6d6. But it would add some more DBZ feeling to it. Wanna power up your Ka-me-ha-me-ha? Than this is for you.

The Dead Walk:
Doesn't fit the theme, but if you want some undead servants, you can make some use of it.

Sudden Swarm:
Doesn't fit the theme. You cast if before the fight (24h duration), so you don't need a action for it in combat. You just need to kill something (yeah, really hard to accomplish^^).

END

Ty all for reading up till here. I hope you enjoyed it and get inspired maybe for your next character. If you have anything to say (opinion, ruling, flavor, critic, suggestions), fell free to share it.