PDA

View Full Version : Fiery Burst Sorcerer v.s. Fire Resistance Enemies!

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 06:44 AM
Is there a way to pierce fire resistance? I'm stuck spamming magic missiles after a few BFCs like glitterdust!

fikoantunes
2016-04-03, 06:56 AM
The feat Searing Spell is your friend.

It's just a +1 metamagic feat, but it would redeem all your fire spells.

I made a revision of the Elemental Savant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482844-The-Elemental-Savant-%96-fixed-using-your-feedback) PrC, which also may interest you, as the original one sucks a lot.

{Scrubbed Links}

DrMartin
2016-04-03, 07:13 AM
nothing that would work with Fiery Burst that I know of, as most options to change energy types or bypass resistances and immunities require you to cast a spell, and as far as i know using a reserve feat is a supernatural ability so =/= casting a spell. The only way to modify them would be getting the feats meant for binders in the Tome of Magic I guess, but none of those allow for changing energy types or similar abilities.

You can get the Searing Spell feat as mentioned above, or get a level of Paragnostic Apostle for the Manifest Ethos ability.

another option is getting either a level as Sanctified One of Kord or a few level as Silver Pyromancer (there's a good build for it on enworld), but both these classes will cost you a caster level.

Or energy substitution (acid or sonic i think are the less resisted energy types) is a quick-n-dirty solution if you're not relying on other abilities that only work on [fire] spell

Mr Adventurer
2016-04-03, 09:56 AM
There's no way to pierce elemental immunity with an elemental (Su) attack that I'm aware of.

LTwerewolf
2016-04-03, 10:02 AM
Don't link to unauthorized content.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 12:55 PM
Alright thanks... magic missile it is unless I decide to pickup a 2nd blasting spell.

animewatcha
2016-04-03, 02:42 PM
As a sorceror, do you have heighten spell? Use a reserve feat of another elemental spell you know. In this case of magic missile, the invisible dart that deals 1d4 per spell level force damage. Do to you casting spontaneously and having heighten spell, you can you use the highest spell level slot avalable you can cast as a basis. 1st level sorceror that has the reserve feat, heighten spell, and that feat that gives up 2 n spells level slots for 1 n+1 spell level can use 2nd level spell level slot available dart for 2d4 points of force damage.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 04:21 PM
As a sorceror, do you have heighten spell? Use a reserve feat of another elemental spell you know. In this case of magic missile, the invisible dart that deals 1d4 per spell level force damage. Do to you casting spontaneously and having heighten spell, you can you use the highest spell level slot avalable you can cast as a basis. 1st level sorceror that has the reserve feat, heighten spell, and that feat that gives up 2 n spells level slots for 1 n+1 spell level can use 2nd level spell level slot available dart for 2d4 points of force damage.

Getting additional feats is not really an option. Using fiery burst alone requires precocious apprentice + fiery burst feat at level 1 because otherwise sorcerers have to wait until level 6. In addition I need heighten spell and arcane spell preparation to not waste a spell known every level on a fire spell.

Troacctid
2016-04-03, 05:23 PM
Precocious Apprentice is not a great option for qualifying for Fiery Burst, as it stops giving you its 2nd level spell once you become able to cast 2nd level spells. So if you're able to take Fiery Burst, it means you do not have the spell from Precocious Apprentice.

ATHATH
2016-04-03, 05:29 PM
nothing that would work with Fiery Burst that I know of, as most options to change energy types or bypass resistances and immunities require you to cast a spell, and as far as i know using a reserve feat is a supernatural ability so =/= casting a spell. The only way to modify them would be getting the feats meant for binders in the Tome of Magic I guess, but none of those allow for changing energy types or similar abilities.

But you can get the Searing Spell feat as mentioned above, or get a level of Paragnostic Apostle for the Manifest Ethos ability, or (but these options cost you a caster level) get either a level as Sanctified One of Kord or a few level as Silver Pyromancer (there's a good build for it on enworld)

Or energy substitution (acid or sonic i think are the less resisted energy types) is a quick-n-dirty solution if you're not relying on other abilities that only work on [fire] spell
Paragnostic Apostle doesn't cost you a CL.

You could be a Domain Sorcerer and pick up the Fire domain, allowing you to rebuke most of your Fire-Resistant foes.

Ger. Bessa
2016-04-04, 03:56 AM
I think 'manifesrt ethos' or whatever the ability is called lowers the CL by 1 when used, but CL is useless when activating a feat.

DrMartin
2016-04-04, 04:33 AM
Paragnostic Apostle doesn't cost you a CL.

You could be a Domain Sorcerer and pick up the Fire domain, allowing you to rebuke most of your Fire-Resistant foes.

I meant that the two following options (sanctified one and pyromancer) entail a loss of CL. will edit my post for clarity :)