PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Are Wizard's spells known list completely independent of their spellbook?

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 07:13 AM
A wizard can use a borrowed spellbook to prepare a spell she already knows and has recorded in her own spellbook

Under replacing a spellbook

If she does not have the spell prepared, she can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.

So does this mean that:
1. In order to prepare a spell from a borrowed spellbook, you MUST have written it down the spell in your own spellbook at least once. You cannot prepare a spell from a borrowed spellbook that you've never written down in your own spellbook even though you may have written it down in a scroll through cooperative crafting.

2. A wizard's spells known list is INDEPENDENT of her spellbook. If she written it down in a spellbook once, she knows that spell even if that spellbook is destroyed. I mean, that's the only conclusion you can draw from the above quotes right? You can only prepare spells you know from borrowed spellbooks, and you can use borrowed spellbooks to recreate a lost spellbook.

3. You can grab feats like Spell Mastery and select spells that were in your lost spellbooks and prepare them. So if magic missile was in your spellbook, and you lost your spellbook, and civilization is nowhere in sight, you can grab spellmastery as your next feat and prepare magic missile after a rest even if you don't have a spellbook.

4. Spontaneous Divination. You can spontaneously convert heightened read magic spells into divination spells you written down in your spellbook even though the spellbook is destroyed or lost.

Coidzor
2016-04-03, 04:15 PM
If this is 3.5, just use the rules from Complete Arcane or Complete Mage and master the spellbook.

If this is PF, then I would urge you to port those rules over, DCs should be fine as-is.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 04:18 PM
If this is 3.5, just use the rules from Complete Arcane or Complete Mage and master the spellbook.

Wait.. what???? Where is this rule in complete arcane or complete mage?

edit: nvm. You meant mastering a foreign spellbook.

#3 and #4 is what I want to do, cast spells when spellbook is lost.

Coidzor
2016-04-03, 04:33 PM
Wait.. what???? Where is this rule in complete arcane or complete mage?

edit: nvm. You meant mastering a foreign spellbook.

#3 and #4 is what I want to do, cast spells when spellbook is lost.

If you're expecting to lose spellbooks and not get one by murderhoboing or returning to civilization, don't play a wizard.

Or play an Easy Bake Wizard, with Eidetic spellcaster so your spell book is your mind and/or brain. (Watch out for illithidae, though).

3 seems to be completely houserule/homebrew territory to me though, fwiw. So the DM might like the idea as a way to preserve a character in a tight spot.

4 has more promise, tho, as, IIRC, the RAW is such that it can be any divination spell, not even limited by your spell book or necessarily even the wizard list. Is a mite cheesy depending on how far you go.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-03, 04:39 PM
Or play an Easy Bake Wizard, with Eidetic spellcaster so your spell book is your mind and/or brain. (Watch out for illithidae, though).

It's because dragon magazine isn't allowed that I'm doing all these shenanigans XD.

How would you refute #2's claims? #3 exists if #2 is true.

4 has more promise, tho, as, IIRC, the RAW is such that it can be any divination spell, not even limited by your spell book or necessarily even the wizard list. Is a mite cheesy depending on how far you go.

I believe this was errata'd to be only divination spells you KNOW.

gogogome
2016-04-04, 12:19 AM
Yeah, as a DM, I think you're right. Your logic is sound, and all this is in the core rules.
1. When your spellbook is lost, you can prepare a spell from a borrowed spellbook and write it down.
2. You can only prepare spells that you know from borrowed spellbooks.
3. Therefore, even if your spellbook is lost or destroyed, there are spells that you know and spells that you don't.

magicalmagicman
2016-04-05, 12:55 AM
Re titled and BUMPED! I WANNA HEAR PEOPLE'S THOUGHTS ON THIS!