Closet Monster
Medium Aberration (Shapeshifter)
Hit Dice: 4d8-4 (14 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacles +0 melee (1d4+1) and Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Menacing presence
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., fear leech, light weakness, minor change shape
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +12, Disguise +6 (+16 when shapeshifted), Hide +6, Intimidate +12, Move Silently +6
Feats: Dodge, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 5-7 HD (Medium), 8-10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

Closet Monsters, also known as bogarts or bogeys, are shapeshifters who feed on fear. Because of their physical feebleness, they most commonly resort to preying on children, who are less strong and more easily frightened. Closet Monsters are both nocturnal and extremely vulnerable to light, meaning they do most of their feeding during the night. During the day, the prefer to hide in small dark spaces near their current prey, often in closets or under beds, which lends them their name. Closet Monsters can take on many forms, and will often try to take on either a frightening and gruesome form, or that of a person trusted by their prey. In their natural form, they are tumor-like masses of flesh, amorphous and grey, with two tendril-like tentacles and a small, razor-toothed mouth ringed by eyes.

Menacing Presence (Su)
A Closet Monster can inspire fear by attacking or charging. All creatures with fewer HD than the monster within 30 ft. of it when it charges of attacks must make a DC 14 Will save or be shaken for 1d6 rounds, although they cease to be shaken if they go further than 30 ft. away from the Closet Monster. If they are already shaken, then they become frightened, although they do not become panicked if they are already frightened. The save is Charisma-based. Once a creature successfully saves against a Closet Monster’s menacing presence, then it is immune to that ability for 24 hours.

Fear Leech (Su)
A Closet Monster draws energy and nourishment from the fear of those around it. Each round, a Closet Monster is healed 1 hp for each other creature that is shaken, frightened, or panicked within 30 ft. of it. If

Light Weakness (Ex)
A Closet Monster is extremely sensitive to light. If exposed to natural daylight, it is blinded and takes 1d6 points of damage for each round of exposure, with no save. A Closet Monster exposed to another source of light must make a DC 12 Fortitude save or be dazzled for as long as that light source is present. If it saves successfully, than it does not need to make any further saves for that light source.

Minor Change Shape (Ex)
As a standard action, a Closet Monster may change its appearance to that of any Medium creature or Medium-sized non-magical object, similar to the disguise self spell. This grants it a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to disguise itself. A Closet Monster can remain disguised indefinitely, but if it is exposed to daylight, then it immediately reverts to its natural form and cannot use this ability until it is out of the light.

Skills
A Closet Monster has a +8 racial bonus on Bluff and Intimidate checks.

Green Bean
2007-06-21, 03:41 PM
Very creepy indeed. Maybe you should add to it the ability to disguise itself as an inanimate object. Sort of a "Oh, silly Jimmy, its' not really a monster. It's just a pile of clothes," technique.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 03:45 PM
Heh, I can never resist a good Metallica reference. Ah well, looks good. I think the reflex Save is slightly off. Should be 1(6), I believe.

Otherwise looks okay, except I think in the Attack Line, Tentacle Attack should be 3(5) (1D4+2 20/x2), as it's not a Secondary Attack.

The Demented One
2007-06-21, 03:49 PM
Very creepy indeed. Maybe you should add to it the ability to disguise itself as an inanimate object. Sort of a "Oh, silly Jimmy, its' not really a monster. It's just a pile of clothes," technique.
Good idea.

Otherwise looks okay, except I think in the Attack Line, Tentacle Attack should be 3(5) (1D4+2 20/x2), as it's not a Secondary Attack.
Tentacles are secondary attacks, the Bite is the primary.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 04:01 PM
Okay. It's very odd to list it in the Attack Routine, though, which is what was confusing me. Ghouls and Owlbears, for instance, only list their Primary Attacks in the Attack Line. Is it part of the new Monster Formatting?

What about the Reflex Save?

The Demented One
2007-06-21, 05:33 PM
Okay. It's very odd to list it in the Attack Routine, though, which is what was confusing me. Ghouls and Owlbears, for instance, only list their Primary Attacks in the Attack Line. Is it part of the new Monster Formatting?
Just a quirk on my part, I like including them all. I guess I'll cut them out.

What about the Reflex Save?
Yeah, forgot to factor in Lightning Reflexes. Just a second...

adanedhel9
2007-06-21, 06:58 PM
Absolutely awesome.

Will save should be +4.

Why doesn't this thing have any ranks in intimidate? It seems like it should. Maybe move them over from bluff?

MITP=Yes

The Demented One
2007-06-21, 07:01 PM
Duly noted.

Matthew
2007-06-21, 07:10 PM
Whoops, forgot to vote.

MITP: Yes