PDA

View Full Version : Mystic, a better Wizard?

NewDM
2016-04-03, 08:29 AM
I'm reading through the mystic (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf) and they have

Medium armor
Cleric hit dice
all simple weapons
same skills and saves as a Wizard
Talents (cantrips)
Psychic Focus (always on benefit, changeable with a bonus action)
Hp recovery when they use psi-points on a discipline they know (spell equivalent ability)
Variable saving throw proficiencies at 4th
Trade HP for psi-points (spell slots)
Expertise (awakened order)
Psionic Investigation at will (equivalent to the use of a divination spell + locate object with no maximum range)
Order of the Immortal gives heavy armor, martial weapons, and shield proficiencies (almost equivalent of taking 1 level in fighter)
Order of the Immortal gives temp hp = Int mod, each round for free.
None of their disciplines (spells) require components of any kind
Some of the disciplines grant immunity to damage, no falling damage (talent), charm like effects without the drawbacks, self healing through hit dice, mass charm, proficiency with any weapon or tool or armor, learn traps or passwords or treasure locations, many are as powerful or more powerful than spells such as the always on focus that replicates the Magic Weapon spell.

To me this thing looks like a Wizard with fighter levels and cleric levels all rolled into one. Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't get the same number of disciplines as a Wizard gets spells.

HoodedHero007
2016-04-03, 11:20 AM
In some ways, it isn't as versitle as other classes and is not that good if you want to deal damage with spells, in general, I like taking a great old one warlock, giving it spell points and regular spells known progression, removing aras arcanum, reskinning some ablilities, then calling it a psion

NewDM
2016-04-03, 11:24 AM
In some ways, it isn't as versitle as other classes and is not that good if you want to deal damage with spells, in general, I like taking a great old one warlock, giving it spell points and regular spells known progression, removing aras arcanum, reskinning some ablilities, then calling it a psion

Reskinning is one of the best things about 5E.

Yeah, its horrible for spell damage, but it it awesome as a weapon damage dealer. Extra attacks, regeneration, hit mitigation, full weapon, shield, and armor.

For utility it is pretty insane where it has disciplines that cover something. They put Charmizards to shame.

Also added the Mystic Unearthed Arcana link to the OP.

pwykersotz
2016-04-03, 01:07 PM
Reskinning is one of the best things about 5E.

Yeah, its horrible for spell damage, but it it awesome as a weapon damage dealer. Extra attacks, regeneration, hit mitigation, full weapon, shield, and armor.

For utility it is pretty insane where it has disciplines that cover something. They put Charmizards to shame.

Also added the Mystic Unearthed Arcana link to the OP.

Hahaha, Charmizards. That's clever. :smallbiggrin:

Saeviomage
2016-04-03, 09:06 PM
To me this thing looks like a Wizard with fighter levels and cleric levels all rolled into one. Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't get the same number of disciplines as a Wizard gets spells.

Which is what a wizard is: the right spell for the job. Power through preparedness. So no, he's not a better wizard.

rollingForInit
2016-04-04, 04:55 AM
An Order of the Awakened is abysmal in combat. We've a player that play-tested one just recently. Unless they go into melee (which they may not want if they do a glass cannon build) and use the Discipline that empowers a weapon, they suck at combat.. They've got cantrip level damage, and that's it. No way to add the Intelligence modifier to it. No Disciplines that that offer ranged combat abilities.

They are monsters in social and skill-based situations, though. They have pretty great utility. But, in the end, D&D is a combat-heavy game, and having a class that cannot do many useful things in combat makes it quite lacking. That advantage on Intiative is really not exciting when the only thing you do in combat is "I look intently on the enemy and try to fry the brain for 1d8 psychic damage".

I think a full Order of the Immortal would do much better, but I haven't seen one in action.