PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Leprechauns as PC race?

Uhtred
2016-04-03, 11:24 AM
Pretty much what they say on the tin. For my St. Patrick's day session I introduced Fergus and Angus the Magevexes, a pair of 3.5 Spellthieves using Leprechaun nonsense and Spellthief class features to be a real pain to the party's casters. I essentially took Leprechaun, straight out of the books, and dropped 15 Spellthief class levels onto it and called it a day, ganked the Shaman's Harm spell and the Kineticist's Elemental Defense, it was a good day.
Then the party ignored/forgot about them. And if you blatantly ignore an antagonist in my game, then they become recurring. And they get equipment and I allocate skill points and pick feats.
Which means real stats.
So my question is this: Leprechauns are 4HD creatures. Yes. They should be. Their at-will spell-likes allow them to be serious jerks, and since they treat caster level as being +4 when they are BEING serious jerks, they are obviously not intended initially to be a playable race. So assuming they get the standard +2 Dex and -2 Str from being small-sized, what other ability bonuses/penalties should they get while still being on the 4HD chassis? I'm thinking a bonus to Charisma, since they're historically pretty personable, manipulative, and deceptive, and maybe a penalty to Con since they also tend to run away from fights, and, when caught, typically just give up?

Cyrocloud
2016-04-03, 12:47 PM
From the monster entry format in the bestiary

Ability Scores The creature's ability scores are listed here. Unless otherwise indicated, a creature's ability scores represent the baseline of its racial modifiers applied to scores of 10 or 11. Creatures with NPC class levels have stats in the standard array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8), while creatures with character class levels have the elite array (15, 14, 12, 11, 10, 8); in both cases, the creature's ability score modifiers are listed at the end of its description. Ability scores are capitalized and their names are listed in bold.

Since leprachauns have no class levels you can assume then leprechauns have -4 STR, +6 DEX, +2 CON, +4 INT, +4 WIS AND +6 CHA. The +4 SLA isn't out right stated as being a flat +4, so that is up for interpretation on whether it is +4 or just treated as CL 8. Including their native SR, DR, SLA's, 4 HD, speed and racial skill bonuses they are a very very strong race to play as a PC. Heck if you play by the monsters as PC rules you get all of this for just 1 character level by level 4. This is just RAW though, so I'm not sure how much it helps.

Uhtred
2016-04-03, 12:53 PM
From the monster entry format in the bestiary

Since leprachauns have no class levels you can assume then leprechauns have -4 STR, +6 DEX, +2 CON, +4 INT, +4 WIS AND +6 CHA. The +4 SLA isn't out right stated as being a flat +4, so that is up for interpretation on whether it is +4 or just treated as CL 8. Including their native SR, DR, SLA's, 4 HD, speed and racial skill bonuses they are a very very strong race to play as a PC. Heck if you play by the monsters as PC rules you get all of this for just 1 character level by level 4. This is just RAW though, so I'm not sure how much it helps.

It helps a lot; I've never actually read that monster part in the bestiary although I sorta figured all stats were initially base 10. I'll probably be rolling the standard "4d6 drop the low value" method here, and that +6 to Dex and Cha is going to be VERY helpful for a Spellthief. They're probably going to really regret turning their backs on these guys.
Although I AM going to give them a weapon other than their shillelagh. Doesn't exactly scale with level, that.