PDA

View Full Version : Little Bit of Factotum Feat Help?

SMWallace
2016-04-03, 03:14 PM
Alright so I'm playing a level 6 human Factotum right now. My GM and I agreed for both flavor and balance reasons (the rest of the party is comprised of relatively weaker classes) to trade arcane dilettante and sudden strike for a no-point-cost Skirmish progression. I'm fluffed as a monster-slayer, and the only really useful feats I could figure for my character to take were Knowledge Devotion and lots of Font of Inspiration. But now my GM thinks I have too many points, so he asked if I was cool with only having Font of Inspiration once so that there was a real risk of running out of points in a typical fight, and I agreed. For fluff reasons, I think I'm going to change one to either Iron Will or the feat to get a maneuver so I can replace my Will saves with Concentration checks, because the poor Will presence of mind I'll display from not being able to burn a point every time I need to make a Will save is just not cutting it for my character concept, but I don't know what my other replacement should be. I don't have the accuracy for Power Attack, and my character only has one arm anyway, so that's worth keeping in mind.

(And since I'm here, for what it's worth, if a character only has one arm anyway, is the Einhander feat worth it? I'm considering taking it later. I know it's inferior to the two-handed Power Attack approach, but I don't have the choice of switching to that. So yeah... Is Einhander a worthwhile option in my case?)

Gildedragon
2016-04-03, 03:26 PM
1 FoI is worthless; 1 point won't do much of anything
As to feat suggestions there's a link to the handbook in my sig

It feels like the DM is nerfing you out the wazoo though. You can't use your class features much (limiting your inspiration and taking your SLAs... Rather than skirmish why not ask for martial maneuvers?) and one armed: can I ask why?

SMWallace
2016-04-03, 03:29 PM
Uh... You don't seem to have a signature.

And anyway, I don't see how it could hurt. One last point could be what boosts my AC to not getting hit against a boss or something else panic button-y. I haven't seen much else to do with the feat slot.

Gildedragon
2016-04-03, 03:30 PM
Huh it seems to have vanished
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?272130-Getting-the-Facts-Straight-A-Factotum-Handbook-(WIP-PEACH)

There are a lot of things better than the 1 inspiration: keen intellect for one

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-03, 03:36 PM
Wedded to History (Survivor) allows you to use Will saves in lieu of Fort and Reflex saves, while Keen Intellect gives +Int to Will saves and Wis-based skills. Try combining the two and boost your Will saves pretty high?

And you can always obviate your melee AC altogether through a combination of large amounts of reach, Combat Reflexes, Evasive Reflexes, and Karmic Strike. Since AoOs take place prior to the effect that provokes them, you can use Karmic Strike's AoO in combination with Evasive Reflexes to hop out of the way of any melee attack that would normally hit you.

SMWallace
2016-04-03, 03:42 PM
The only part my GM originally wanted to nerf was the spells, since they're arguably the strongest feature on the Factotum and the rest of the party is T4/5 melee characters with a rather "meh" approach to optimization in general. I was like "alright, I was imagining my character as more of a brave striker type anyway, so let's get rid of the sneak attack nonsense too and I'll take the constant Skirmish and fast movement."

The one-armed thing is an essential part of my character's backstory and concept, and although he might not necessarily say no, it would feel off to me to ask the GM to treat it mechanically as if I were two-handing.

Anyway, part of my character's whole deal is that he's an effective monster-slayer but generally the weakest link against groups of humanoids, and having fewer points will possibly bring that closer to reality. Inter-party balancing is a whole three-act play, y'know?

Anyway, thanks a ton for the link!

EDIT: Actually, wow! Keen Intellect seems amazing for this guy! I actually like that a lot. I'll look over the link, but yeah, very promising, thanks for the suggestion.