PDA

View Full Version : Battle Master Tactics: Action/Maneuver/Feat combinations

orcafromthesky
2016-04-03, 05:41 PM
Hey! I'm trying to come up with a list of possible Battle Master action/maneuver/feat combat combos. Rules: no feat, maneuver, or action is off limits, and the combo must be able to work without writing in a house rule. Also, assume the Battlemaster is going Fighter 20. I prefer combos that incorporate non-maneuver actions/feats whenever possible (a.k.a., the Shield Master Shove vs. Pushing/Tripping Attack), for the sake of preserving superiority dice and action economy.

Here's what I have so far (combos suggested by other posters have been labelled blue):

MELEE COMBAT
• Precision Attack + Great Weapon Master: Pretty basic. Use Precision Attack to mitigate the accuracy loss on the -5/+10 GWM move.
• Incoming AoO (Polearm Master, Sentinel): Also pretty basic. When a creature enters the reach of your 10 ft. polearm, shut down their movement to prevent them attacking you. If their reach is more than 5 ft., you can couple the move with Pushing Attack to shove them further away. You could then attack them and step our of their reach (if they have a >5 ft. reach, you'll need Mobility or Evasive Footwork to dodge the AoO), rinse, repeat.
• Menacing Attack + Shield Master Shove (5 ft.): If your target fails their Wisdom save and opposed Athletics/Acrobatics check, you push them back and, if they have a 5 ft. reach, prevent them from attacking you for 1 round. If their reach is >5 ft., use Pushing Attack instead of Shield Master Shove.
• Menacing Attack + Move Out of Targets Reach: Same as above, but without the shove. Works best with the Mobility feat or Evasive Footwork maneuver so you don't provoke an Attack of Opportunity.
• Grapple + Shield Master Shove (Prone): Requires a free hand. Grapple your target (which is done by taking the attack action), and then follow up by shoving them prone. Immobilizes them until they escape the grapple. Great against spellcasters if coupled with the Mage Slayer feat. Can also use Tripping Attack instead of the Shield Master Shove, if you have the extra attack/superiority die to spare.
• Shield Master Shove (Prone) + Full Attack: According to this sage advice (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/), you can use the Shield Master bonus action shove before or after you attack, meaning you could shove your opponent prone and then full attack them at advantage. Can also use Tripping Attack instead of the Shield Master Shove, but you lose advantage on one of your attacks.
• Disarming Strike + Free Object Interaction (Kick) + AoO (Sentinel): Disarm your opponent, kick their weapon away, and then shut down their movement if they try to run get it.
• Incoming AoO (Polearm Master) + Menacing Attack: For when your target attacks first. When they enter your reach, AoO them using Menacing Attack, causing them to attack you at disadvantage. Could also use Riposte instead, if you don't have Polearm Master, but it doesn't work quite as well (since they get that first attack in before you frighten them).
• Trip Attack + Great Weapon Master: Use the advantage of your opponents prone position to mitigate the accuracy loss on the -5/+10 GWM move. Thanks Foxhound438

RANGED COMBAT
• Precision Attack + Sharpshooter: Like the GWM combo above. Use Precision Attack to mitigate the accuracy loss on the -5/+10 Sharpshooter move.
• Menacing Attack + Menacing Attack: Not really a combo, but super strong nonetheless. Use Menacing Attack on multiple targets (assuming multiple attacks) to prevent them from approaching you.

I'm sure I've missed tons, so any and all feedback is welcome!

Foxhound438
2016-04-03, 09:48 PM
Trip attack is pretty good with GWM, knock them prone for advantage on your attacks for a turn.

orcafromthesky
2016-04-03, 10:26 PM
Trip attack is pretty good with GWM, knock them prone for advantage on your attacks for a turn.

That's a good one, I'll add it to the list!

Moctzal
2016-04-04, 07:27 PM
Trip Attack + flying enemy = hit the ground prone. Works with ranged attacks too.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-05, 09:52 AM
You can potentially add trip attack to the sentinel+polearm master one. If the attack hits and he fails the save, the target is at 0 speed, and is prone 10ft away. That keeps him from entering melee range and gives your team advantage to hit him the whole round.

Foxhound438
2016-04-05, 10:26 AM
Oh, and trip attack with an improvised weapon -> tavern brawler grapple as a bonus action. They're on the ground, you aren't, they can't get up, you have advantage, they have disadvantage unless they waste their action to break free

R.Shackleford
2016-04-05, 01:16 PM
Climb Onto A Bigger Creature + Push/Trip/Maneuvering/Riposte

Not only will it be hard for the dragon to get you off it's back or neck... But when it attacks you, you get a reaction attack.

I treat sweeping attack as if you made the creature being rode to have bucked and got another creature.

RulesJD
2016-04-05, 01:22 PM
Shame you aren't allowing Multiclassing.

Riposte + Sneak Attack + Sentinel is one of the most powerful uses of BM + Rogue. Significantly increases Rogue's DPR.

Anyways:

Commander's Strike + Rogue = off-turn Sneak Attack. Rogue's will love you.

MrStabby
2016-04-05, 01:52 PM
Not really a combo, but feinting attack doesn't require a weapon attack. Within your rules you could use a cantrip (from magic initiate/spell sniper/elf) and feinting attack. Of course it is nicer if you have multiclassed for contagion or whatever...

Oramac
2016-04-05, 02:01 PM
Also, assume the Battlemaster is going Fighter 20.

Well crap. That shoots my plan out of the sky. Plan is taking Rogue 2 for Cunning Action. Then use Goading Attack and Cunning Action to hide. Assuming you roll a decent stealth check, the enemy just has straight disadvantage on attacks.

But ok, so that won't work. It's not particularly complicated, but how about:

Goading Attack + Menacing Attack

As a ranged BM with Sharpshooter (and maybe Mobile): Use Goading attack from max range (600 feet with a longbow) and just stay at max range. Even the most mobile monsters will take a turn or two to get to you, or they have disadvantage on attacks against your party.

And when the monster gets close, use Menacing Attack to scare it away. Rinse and repeat.

Ruslan
2016-04-05, 02:33 PM
• Shield Master Shove (Prone) + Full Attack: According to this sage advice (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/), you can use the Shield Master bonus action shove before or after you attack, meaning you could shove your opponent prone and then full attack them at advantage. Can also use Tripping Attack instead of the Shield Master Shove, but you lose advantage on one of your attacks.

Add Great Weapon Master to that. What's that you're saying, GWM is a non-combo with Shield? Well, after you did the Shove, drop the shield as your free Object Interaction, grab the Versatile Longsword in two hands, and go to town with GWM - a full complement of attacks at Advantage, each dealing (1d10+STR+10+possibly a superiority die).

Corran
2016-04-05, 02:39 PM
Add Great Weapon Master to that. What's that you're saying, GWM is a non-combo with Shield? Well, after you did the Shove, drop the shield as your free Object Interaction, grab the Versatile Longsword in two hands, and go to town with GWM - a full complement of attacks at Advantage, each dealing (1d10+STR+10+possibly a superiority die).
To equip or drop a shield is an action unfortunately so it wouldnt work ideally. It could work if you houseruled a fighting style that lets you do that as an object interaction (versatile weapon figthing style anyone?), or if you houseruled a one-handed heavy weapon (although that could break a thing or two).

Ruslan
2016-04-05, 02:43 PM
To equip or drop a shield is an action unfortunately so it wouldnt work ideally. It could work if you houseruled a fighting style that lets you do that as an object interaction (versatile weapon figthing style anyone?), or if you houseruled a one-handed heavy weapon (although that could break a thing or two).My understanding (and that's the way we have always been playing it) is that it takes an Action to store your shield in an orderly manner (eg. sling it over your back), but to just drop it on the ground is a free action. Although I see this might not be RAW. Anyway, ignore this advice if it doesn't match the way your group handles dropping shields.

RulesJD
2016-04-05, 02:54 PM
My understanding (and that's the way we have always been playing it) is that it takes an Action to store your shield in an orderly manner (eg. sling it over your back), but to just drop it on the ground is a free action. Although I see this might not be RAW. Anyway, ignore this advice if it doesn't match the way your group handles dropping shields.

Don or Doffing a Shield takes 1 Action. Perfectly fine to have a houserule but RAW is pretty clear.

Alejandro
2016-04-05, 02:58 PM
If you are a battlemaster with a good CHA, Rally, and Inspiring Leader (like my PC) you can make it quite hard for the enemy to take down one ally of your choice/potentially more. :)

Icewraith
2016-04-05, 03:15 PM
I call this the "Make sure the DM never sends a single opponent of large or smaller size at the party ever again."

Requirements:

Shield, one-handed weapon, rogue ally in melee with available Reaction, Shield Master feat, 5th level, attack-granting maneuver.

Shield Master Shove prone. (Bonus)

If successful, attack action.

Attack 1: Grant Rogue ally off-turn Sneak Attack with advantage using their reaction.
Drop weapon. (Free interact)
Attack 2: Grapple.

If Rogue's next turn comes before Grappled opponent, Rogue makes a Sneak Attack with advantage. Otherwise, Grappled opponent must break your grapple (or kill you) to stand up and avoid another Sneak Attack with advantage.

Bonus points: Party Warlock with active Hex, targeting opponent's STR or DEX, whichever is better.

Note: This assumes that replacing one of your melee attacks (damage die+ mod) with an off-turn Sneak Attack is a significant boost to the party's DPR, that you're in an important enough fight to burn some maneuver dice, and that the opponent has a large enough HP pool that you'll need several turns to whittle it down. If your two attacks are fairly close in damage to the Rogue's one sneak attack and the opponent's AC is fairly low, just swing at it. The higher level you are, the more dice the Rogue will throw per attack and the better this gets.

Edit: ...I'm wondering if you could make an improvised ranged (thrown) weapon attack with a shield instead of using your entire action to doff it.

8wGremlin
2016-04-05, 03:43 PM
Requirements:

Shield, one-handed weapon, rogue ally in melee with available Reaction, Shield Master feat, 5th level, attack-granting maneuver.

Shield Master Shove prone. (Bonus)

If successful, attack action.

Attack 1: Grant Rogue ally off-turn Sneak Attack with advantage using their reaction.
Drop weapon. (Free interact)
Attack 2: Grapple.

Commanders Strike - requires you to give up your bonus action to grant the Rogue an attack.
However

Action: attack action:
1. Attack
2. Give up second attack
Bonus action: Commanders strike: allow rogue to sneak attack as reaction

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

(bolded mine for emphasis)

You are next to the target
You are an enemy of the target
You are not incapacitated
Therefore, Rogue can sneak attack target as normal

They can even do this at range, if they have a ranged weapon.

Icewraith
2016-04-05, 03:55 PM
Commanders Strike - requires you to give up your bonus action to grant the Rogue an attack.
However

Action: attack action:
1. Attack
2. Give up second attack
Bonus action: Commanders strike: allow rogue to sneak attack as reaction

(bolded mine for emphasis)

You are next to the target
You are an enemy of the target
You are not incapacitated
Therefore, Rogue can sneak attack target as normal

They can even do this at range, if they have a ranged weapon.

The point is to get advantage on the roll. Rogue damage is extremely front-loaded, and they only get another chance to land a melee sneak attack on their turn if they dual wield and give up their bonus action (never mind making off-turn attacks). Also, Rogue crits are absolutely devastating, and having advantage just about doubles the chance of critting.

Also, I'll have to check that out, it seems the guy playing the Battlemaster in my group hasn't been using that ability correctly. You can still use a normal melee attack to trip, but it means one Rogue and one Battlemaster can't pull off the combo (trip, grapple, and grant extra attack) until 13th level.

Badwater13
2017-04-26, 09:44 PM
Precision strike + charger + great weapon master? Dash, get the bonus action to attack, be from 10 ft away to get +5, use gwm to get plus +10, use precision strike to offset gwm, for +15?

RSP
2017-04-26, 09:52 PM

Also, a Longsword isn't a Heavy weapon so no -5/+10. And wouldn't need to drop the shield for the first part of the feat (the bonus action attack) as that works fine with one-handed melee weapons.