PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Sound Barrier: an Exercise in Theorycrafting

RickAllison
2016-04-03, 09:47 PM
Okay, our DM posited this challenge to us: break the sound barrier. Everything is free to use: monsters as the chassis, magic items, boons and blessings, caster allies, the works.

What we have so far is a Solar (150 ft fly speed) with 2 levels in Fighter (Action Surge to Dash), 18 in Monk (+30 ft), Longstrider (+10 ft), Step of the Wind (bonus action to Dash), action to Dash, Haste (action to Dash), and Dissonant Whispers (reaction to basically Dash). That gives 190*6 ft of fly speed, with Haste doubling that to 380*6 ft or 2280 ft fly speed, 259 mph.

In another thread, we discussed Female Steeder druids with Boots of Striding and Springing, Jump, and Step of the Wind to get 1620 ft jumps or a round speed of 184 mph.

A high walking speed might be able to beat those speeds. The bonuses available to them include 5 Elk Barbarian (+25 walk speed)/2 Bladesinger (+10 walk speed) at the cost of -10 speed on the Monk side, Boots of Speed to double walking speed, and Boon of Speed (+30 walk speed). That gives a speed of (base+95)*2*2*6. The highest walking speed I can think of is the Phantom Steed (100 ft) or the Allosaurus/etc. creatures (60 ft). That gives a walking speed of 4680 ft or 3720 ft (532 mph or 423 mph).

Without using teleportation or cheese (I'm looking at you, dual Vengeance Paladins with Tunnel Fighter), is there any way to get a faster speed?

EDIT: I did find one creature that beats out the Allosaurus and below, but not as fast as Phantom Steed. The Vampire only has a base speed of 30 ft, but he has 3 Legendary Actions that give another Dash. That would put him at 125 ft*2*2*9 or 4500 ft, 511 mph.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-04, 04:19 AM
Cast Find Vehicle (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_ModernMagic.pdf) at 5th level or higher to produce a supersonic aircraft - say, an FD2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Delta_2). Simples.

Hell, if the DM approves it, you can use a seventh or higher slot to produce a Space Rocket, or a Spelljammer, or the freaking Starship Enterprise, which should be enough to be getting on with. Though that 8 hour duration could prove a little troublesome.