PDA

View Full Version : 5e Weapon Critique

TheWretched
2016-04-04, 12:50 AM
In my previous session we happened into an Underdark town where a vendor traded/sold me a Sentient Warhammer. As awesome as this thing Im trying to figure out if its too OP for me to have at my current level (3 almost 4). To sum it up shortly it does 2d12 with a +1 to my damage and attack rolls. On a successful killing blow the mob has to make a successful wisdom saving throw or its soul is consumed into the hammer and my STR is increased by 1 up to 20 max. Oh did I mention it can also cast up to 4 magic missles a day that refresh on a short rest. I'm also a EK Fighter so its bonded to my person and I can summon it. I just feel like its way more thany character needs at this point but I'd be lying if I said I dont love it. Thoughts?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 07:56 AM
Thoughts?

Is the strength increase permanent or temporary? If it's permanent, this is ludicrously powerful, since it functions as an unlimited Manual of Bodily Exercise as well as a weapon. You could share it with all your allies and give everyone a strength of 20 in a matter of days.

Since the weapon is also sentient, I am wondering if your DM is actually using it as more of a plot element than an actual weapon. Since it was found in the underdark, devours souls and apparently didn't take much effort to acquire, I'm willing to bet it's very evil. Therefore, it surely has the capacity to turn on you, or work against you more subtly. You might find that it suddenly doesn't do what you want in an important boss fight, or perhaps it conspires to get itself stolen and then goes on to possess a weak monster that you then have to fight.

So, if that's the case, the actual mechanical balance of the weapon is less important. Sure, it'll have a significant impact, but it won't spoil anyone's fun; it actually becomes a source of fun for everyone when it turns on you!

Or something.

Mith
2016-04-04, 09:33 AM
Go kill a bunch of goblins to pump up Strength and save you the ASI. It's ridiculous, but if the Strength boost is permanent, then it will not take long before that part of it's design is irrelevant. It would be cool if you lose strength over time if you do not kill with it until you cannot hold the weapon anymore.

Overpowered? Only if there are no catches.

TheWretched
2016-04-04, 02:34 PM
Is the strength increase permanent or temporary? If it's permanent, this is ludicrously powerful, since it functions as an unlimited Manual of Bodily Exercise as well as a weapon. You could share it with all your allies and give everyone a strength of 20 in a matter of days.

Since the weapon is also sentient, I am wondering if your DM is actually using it as more of a plot element than an actual weapon. Since it was found in the underdark, devours souls and apparently didn't take much effort to acquire, I'm willing to bet it's very evil. Therefore, it surely has the capacity to turn on you, or work against you more subtly. You might find that it suddenly doesn't do what you want in an important boss fight, or perhaps it conspires to get itself stolen and then goes on to possess a weak monster that you then have to fight.

So, if that's the case, the actual mechanical balance of the weapon is less important. Sure, it'll have a significant impact, but it won't spoil anyone's fun; it actually becomes a source of fun for everyone when it turns on you!

Or something.

The strength bonus provided from devouring souls resets at every short or long rest. For instance we had a battle ans the end of our session where I killed 4 enemies l, two made their saves while the other two didnt so I have 19 total strength right now and its normally 17 but when we rest I'll go back to 17 until it consumes more.

Rogem
2016-04-06, 07:31 PM
I'd definitely start looking for the first possibility to get rid of it, it sounds simply too good to be true, and that usually means that it is a trap.

manny2510
2016-04-06, 08:12 PM
A cool thing for anyone looking to become a lich is to sell your phylactery as a powerful magic item. IIRC there are some soul stealing weapons that take your soul when you die too, right?

kardillamo
2016-04-22, 01:16 AM
Perhaps you could take it to an artificer, find out what's going on with it, because it sounds OP at your level just with the 2d12 +1.