PDA

View Full Version : Will Hinjo's junk still be there?

holywhippet
2007-06-21, 04:43 PM
Remember this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0452.html ?

Some of the soldiers mention heading to the docks looking for ships to escape on. Hinjo has specifically said that only his junk remained. This is confirmed by this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html

So if the soldiers are fleeing and looking for a boat to escape on, will the junk still be at the docks? For that matter, Redcloak ordered his army to keep securing the city. Surely some of them have reached the docks by now. Under those circumstances I'd expect them to have sailed off or risk being overrun. It is full of civilians after all.

mockingbyrd7
2007-06-21, 04:48 PM
Holy whippet, holywhippet! You might be right.

Edit: I JUST HIT BARBARIAN STATUS! ROAAAAAAAR! :furious: :furious: :furious:

David Argall
2007-06-21, 09:00 PM
If we get real, no, it should not be, unless it was sunk.

While this is supposed to be a major port, no city has enough ships to carry off even a large percentage of its population, much less a majority, much less so many that the remaining population fleeing murderous hobgoblins won't be able to swamp the last ship that is able to leave town with sheer numbers.

Sticking to fantasy, it is ready and waiting.

Now the hobgoblins have not come close to the docks yet. These strips are happening at the same time in different areas. So things have not yet changed much from http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html

Moreover, the invading army should move slowly thru the city. Each building is a potential location of enemy troops, and of valuable loot. So the invaders will largely carefully investigate each building along the way [Telling Red, if he asks, that the search for enemy troops was the prime consideration]. That means the party has [just barely] enough time to get to the ship and sail away [as the hobs shoot arrows at the departing ship].

Gavin Sage
2007-06-21, 09:16 PM
I certainly hope Hinjo's junk is still there... :smallbiggrin:

squidthingy
2007-06-21, 09:29 PM
Two things; one: the comic's don't have to nessicerly go in chronilogical order, refer to team evil, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html) they leave the tunnel, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0117.html) they enter, nearly two days has passed in between. Even if they rest, I doubt that the tunnel took two days to get out of; two: Hinjo's junk could have some spell to ensure that hinjo has to be on board for it to sail

TheNovak
2007-06-21, 09:44 PM
Heh. So you think Hinjo needs to operate his junk himself? But poor Lien's been patiently holding it for him for so long, now!

Gundato
2007-06-21, 10:49 PM
I sincerely doubt there would be a spell forcing Hinjo to be on his junk. That just ain't his style. Hinjo is what paladins SHOULD be (his raison d'etre). He isn't going to screw over the people he is sworn to protect because he doesn't feel like having to call a taxi.

Douglas
2007-06-21, 10:56 PM
Yes, but he inherited it from Shojo, a chaotic Aristocrat. He could have inherited such a control scheme along with it.

kirbsys
2007-06-21, 11:01 PM
Maybe Hinjo was unaware that he was the only one qualified to deal with his massive junk. Now the real question is, can all of the Order of the Stick get onto his junk, and get away without the goblins seeing them on his junk?

Gundato
2007-06-21, 11:10 PM
Yes, but he inherited it from Shojo, a chaotic Aristocrat. He could have inherited such a control scheme along with it.

Also doesn't seem like a Shojo thing. Say what you will about his methods, that guy had the best interests of Azure City and the entire world in mind. He just wasn't a Paladin.

DrivinAllNight
2007-06-21, 11:15 PM
I have never had my mind race to both sides of good and evil on one topic as this one has. I don't know if someone is trying to put the OotS strips into play for their visual reference or just using the double entendres.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-21, 11:48 PM
Even if the deserters did make a rush for the junk (hehe) Lien has been waiting there patiently. Given that she is seemingly an important/moderate level paladin, I doubt that ship has gone anywhere until she says it's time, which will be when Hinjo says its time. Besides, if it was gone, what would the OOTS do? They cant teleport and there are no other boats. The Junk HAS to be there, or if not there when they arrive then simply moved out to sea a bit to avoid enemies then make a quick stop to pick them up.

factotum
2007-06-22, 01:16 AM
We know for a fact the junk was still at the docks in #460, because Miko could see it when she looked over the burning city after escaping. I would have thought there would be plenty of time for the deserters to have reached it by then (there was quite a lot of action happening between those two strips), so I don't think there'll be a problem.

RyQ_TMC
2007-06-22, 02:02 AM
:belkar: Heh-heh, his junk...

(sorry, I just had to do it)

cheesecake
2007-06-22, 05:53 AM
:sabine: maybe already be on Hinjo's junk?

Lenny
2007-06-22, 06:53 AM
As he does not appear to be wearing the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity, I would assume that, yes, Hinjo's junk is still there.

Alfryd
2007-06-22, 07:31 AM
While this is supposed to be a major port, no city has enough ships to carry off even a large percentage of its population, much less a majority...
That is a good point. I had thought that most of the city's civilians were evacuated. It bodes poorly, then, that many buildings appear to be on fire.

PaladinFreak
2007-06-22, 07:45 AM
I think that Hinjo's junk is still being held by Lien, and she is tough enough to hold off the Hobbos for a while, but if the OotS doesn't grab Hinjo's junk pretty Soon, the Hobbos will be lining up to get on Hinjo's junk.

TheNovak
2007-06-22, 09:17 AM
Ugh. No one wants those nasty, orange dudes putting their hands on their junk.

Demented
2007-06-22, 01:32 PM
I'm sure Lien is taking good care of Hinjo's junk, whatever the case.

That is a good point. I had thought that most of the city's civilians were evacuated. It bodes poorly, then, that many buildings appear to be on fire.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought it was acknowledged that there were still many civilians waiting to get put on a boat, and Hinjo had instructed Lien to keep loading up his junk.

Of course, thinking that, I was also surprised to find out that Hinjo's junk had yet to leave port. Surely it's not so big that it takes the duration of an entire battle to get it loaded?

Garland
2007-06-22, 02:15 PM
Lien will hold Hinjo's Junk to the death.

slayerx
2007-06-22, 02:16 PM
Also doesn't seem like a Shojo thing. Say what you will about his methods, that guy had the best interests of Azure City and the entire world in mind. He just wasn't a Paladin.

True, but this was Shojo's private junk... if i recall, Lien said that Shojo never allowed anyone on his junk. Sure, in an emergancy like this he would allow poeple to ride his junk, but it could be possible that he would through in that control scheme

David Demola
2007-06-22, 02:36 PM
Maybe Hinjo was unaware that he was the only one qualified to deal with his massive junk. Now the real question is, can all of the Order of the Stick get onto his junk, and get away without the goblins seeing them on his junk?

So what you're really asking is if the OotS can get off on Hinjo's massive junk, and not be too torn up.

~Dave

Angel in Black
2007-06-22, 03:04 PM
Ugh, these double entendres are getting painful...

So what you're really asking is if the OotS can get off on Hinjo's massive junk, and not be too torn up.

~Dave

That one crossed the line for me >.<

David Demola
2007-06-22, 03:24 PM
That one crossed the line for me >.<

Always glad to push that one extra step over-the-line.

~Dave

Ithekro
2007-06-22, 05:01 PM
This thread makes me smile. It is just a fun joke for some reason.

Hungry Kobold
2007-06-22, 05:04 PM
It'll be there or they all die. Is everyone forgetting about that? :smallconfused: A group of their size does not simply walk out of a city that's been overrun. They'd draw attention and be swarmed.

basilisk 89
2007-06-22, 05:07 PM
Lien is female? Huh...I thought (s)he was male..

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-22, 06:08 PM
Lien is female? Huh...I thought (s)he was male..

Probably no men strong enough to take charge of Hinjo's junk as effectively as Lien. All the rest of the paladins were trying to protect his family jewel.

Green Bean
2007-06-22, 06:25 PM
Probably no men strong enough to take charge of Hinjo's junk as effectively as Lien. All the rest of the paladins were trying to protect his family jewel.

It's a shame that Miko crushed Hinjo's family jewel. It couldn't have been pleasant for him.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-22, 06:32 PM
When they finally get to Hinjo's junk, they should yell something cool when they shove it off.

Maybe something along the lines of; JUNKIN' OFF!

Dausuul
2007-06-22, 06:51 PM
When they finally get to Hinjo's junk, they should yell something cool when they shove it off.

Maybe something along the lines of; JUNKIN' OFF!

The real question is, will Haley make it back with Roy's great cleavage before then?

galdon
2007-06-22, 07:11 PM
The real question is, will Haley make it back with Roy's great cleavage before then?

sorry, that one just flopped. >.> there is no real connection between that jokes first appearance and now.

but the deserters will try to board regardless of lien, so it may end up being one big fight over who gets hinjo's private junk.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-22, 07:22 PM
Don't be silly people. It looks like Lien is a moderately high level paladin, and there were probably some more guards. I mean, with that many people holding your junk, I doubt anyone could sneak off with it.

Gales
2007-06-22, 11:25 PM
Lien has a tight hold of Hinjo's junk, it won't be slipping to other people's hands.

Angela Christine
2007-06-23, 03:34 AM
Besides, if it was gone, what would the OOTS do? They cant teleport and there are no other boats.

They could use the booty talisman to summon Celia, who could call in some of her airborne friends to carry everyone to safety. :smallbiggrin:

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-06-23, 03:42 AM
With all the civilians and soldiers looking to beat it...it is probably safe to say that even though this is a port town, there are plenty of people who have never been on hinjo's or anyone elses junk before...with that many first time junk riders...things could get a bit messy...could be quite painful for some...

Hopefully Haley and company can make it back in time, I know she wants to be with Elan when he hops on Hinjo's junk...

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-23, 04:17 AM
What's amazing is that there seems to be maybe one or two at the most posts on this thread that dont make a "Hinjo's Junk" joke. Considering its now two pages long, thats pretty impressive. I particularly enjoyed the "family jewel" addition, very well done.

Oh yeah. If V has already made it there, maybe he/she and Lien can sit on Hinjo's junk and talk about how they have both been mistaken for both genders.

warmachine
2007-06-23, 05:13 AM
With the city overrun and an explosion for added emphasis, plenty of civilians are going to start panicking. After all, hobgoblins aren't nice people. They're going to jump off the docks, swim and climb on the junk. That's if a criminal gang haven't decided to attack the guards and take the junk themselves.

Curunir
2007-06-23, 05:19 AM

Ehhe. Roy has Boobies

(couldn't resist)

Gez
2007-06-23, 05:44 AM
Shojo never allowed anyone on his junk.

That's why his heir is his nephew rather than his son...

Inhuman Bot
2007-06-27, 04:07 PM
Nice. Hehe Junk. Hehe "family jewel". As Lein said there will be no shortage of people who want to get on Hinjo's junk. everbody loves Hinjo's junk. And lastly, Ofcourse his junk will still be there.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-27, 04:08 PM
every1 knows his junk will be available for all to enjoy. It will sail off to distant lands, at everybody's pleasure.

Uzraid
2007-06-27, 04:30 PM
Given what's shown in #460, I think some of us are overlooking the fact that Hinjo's junk is unusually large, probably large enough to handle a lot of people before it sinks.

outlander
2007-06-27, 09:56 PM
It's a shame that Miko crushed Hinjo's family jewel. It couldn't have been pleasant for him.

She didn't crush it, she cut it apart with a sword. Swords cut, warhammer and clubs crush, dearie.

outlander
2007-06-27, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure hinjo's junk will be there, ready to serve any and all in need. Hinjo believes his junk should always stand at the ready, and should forever be a strong, rigid force for good, ever up to dealing with any situation that requires a large, strong, tireless junk.

Yes, Hinjo will see to it his junk will forever be ready to rise to any occasion.

It's too bad that Miko's dead now, or she could have taken a ride on Hinjo's junk, it might have given her a new attitude.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-28, 12:33 PM
I think Hinjo's junk may well be the driving thrust of the next story arc.

With the fall of Azure City, Our Heroes are in desperate need of Hinjo's junk. Haley and Belkar are racing out to grab Roy's body, Hinjo is running to the pier to take command of his junk. Lien has a firm grip on Hinjo's junk, and is making sure that it doesn't launch too soon. As soon as Haley gets back, Hinjo's junk will be all ready to go.

Afterwards, there is the possibility that the traitorous Kubota will have a blockade, but Hinjo will drive his junk straight up the middle, bursting though to safety. After the Kubota problem is resolved, Hinjo may join the OotS, or may let Roy take command of his junk. Either way, we will be seeing a lot of Hinjo's junk for most of the next story arc.

Now that Our Heroes will have to cross the ocean to the Western Continent, the only way to get there is to ride Hinjo's junk all the way. And since no D&D adventure at sea would be complete without pirates to beat off, exotic places to explore, we may see many interesting things along the way.

Pirates are cooler with a female pirate in the lead, and if Roy and Hinjo are taken out, it will be up to Haley to use Hinjo's junk to defeat the Pirate Queen. I feel that Haley will be more than up to the task, expecially with Elan's help in some of the stickier places.

There may also be an Odysseus homage, where Hinjo's junk may have to carefully slip through a deep, dark cave. But once the pirates are dealt with, there should be enough Treasure Type "O" to satisfy Haley's needs.

Then after enduring many storms, and scraping across the reefs surrounding the Western Continent, we will have to leave Hinjo's battered and tattered junk behind. Or possibly, Hinjo will consider his duty to the OotS to be discharged, and will simply take Lien home on his junk. In his later years, Hinjo will be able to tell his children and grandchildren how all of the members of the Order of the Stick rode on his junk. Roy, Haley, Elan, Celia, Vaarsuvius, Durkon and even Belkar all took a boat ride, and got off safely on the other side.

Of course, I'm currently DMing "The Savage Tide," so I have pirates and ships on the mind.

Basalock
2007-06-28, 12:52 PM
you get a cookie