PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Eldritch Knight / Paladin Combo

Reynard Loxley
2016-04-04, 05:45 AM
Hello, I'll start this by saying this combo or idea is RP heavy first and foremost so I'm not looking for the most powerful combination. Just other ways to achieve the same flavour.

I'm looking at creating an Eldritch Knight / Paladin character. I REALLY like the EK ability to summon a bonded weapon from the same plane that I'm on which is probably the only reason I'm taking it (that and some small arcane spells is good). Paladin has also been a class I like to play. Before I go too far into my prep, I'd like to know if there's any other way to achieve the bonded weapon that I get from EK (I haven't found anything except from the pact of the blade which doesn't have the same feel to me).

Does anyone have any suggestions at all regarding this?

Gtdead
2016-04-04, 05:53 AM
There are two ways to do it afaik.

One is the warlock of the blade. He can summon a weapon and dismiss it whenever he feels like.
The other is the psionic class, the mystic from Unearthed Arcana, that can store his weapon inside his body. It seems like a funny class but it's not complete yet.

Personally I'd go for warlock because it's easier to create. They share an attribute.

Reynard Loxley
2016-04-04, 06:05 AM
There are two ways to do it afaik.

One is the warlock of the blade. He can summon a weapon and dismiss it whenever he feels like.
The other is the psionic class, the mystic from Unearthed Arcana, that can store his weapon inside his body. It seems like a funny class but it's not complete yet.

Personally I'd go for warlock because it's easier to create. They share an attribute.

I was hoping it wouldn't resort to the Warlock, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from keeping it the same weapon every time. I will check our the psionic class though. Thanks for the info on that one!

Socko525
2016-04-04, 08:08 AM
Don't forget if you get a magic weapon as a warlock you can transform it into your pact weapon, allowing you to dismiss and resummons it

Specter
2016-04-06, 09:50 AM
You don't need to boost INT if you plan on taking few EK levels. You can even leave it at 8, though that would be bad for roleplaying, I guess.

At 3rd fighter level, pick the spells Shield, Absorb Elements and Find Familiar. With the first two, you become one of the best tanks in the game. With the latter, you get solid scouting potential, and advantage on one attack per turn if the familiar uses the Help action. It can also deliver touch spells for you, in case your enemy's too far.

As for stats, that's how I'd go (assuming you're going for a STR build):
STR - CHA - CON - WIS - INT - DEX

If you just want a weapon you can summon to your side, there was a spell in 3.5 edition called 'Summon Weapon', which was level 1. Maybe convince your DM to homebrew it for you?

Firechanter
2016-04-06, 05:51 PM
I was hoping it wouldn't resort to the Warlock

If your reservations against Warlock are purely for RP reasons, which is totally understandable, maybe you can find the Undying Light patron more acceptable. It's not overly powerful mechanically, but thematically compatible even with LG Devo Palas.

Reynard Loxley
2016-04-06, 06:30 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

I've actually made the warlock/paladin work with my character concept. A paladin who accepts help from a fiend in order to accomplish a greater good.

He (or she) will struggle with the duality of the two sides to their personality. Healing spells now leave scars and feel like someone is cauterising a round when used in someone. So they still heal but it hurts the players, it's not just divine magic in there.

I like what the character has become, I wouldn't have got there if you all hadn't made you suggestions.

Thank you