PDA

View Full Version : Blindsight vs tremorsense

The_Ditto
2016-04-04, 07:58 AM
So I was looking over the Mystic, and noticed the Discipline, Third Eye.

The base "passive" for the discipline (while focused on it), is to gain Blindsight for 30 ft.
Great, sounds good.

But looking at the next ability, Tremorsense ... You need to spend 1 pp, and concentrate, for up to 1 minute.

So basically, 1 pp per minute, for Tremorsense 30 ft.
vs 0 pp, "always on" blindsight 30 ft

I've always assume blind sight is better than Tremorsense ... what am I missing here ?

Zalabim
2016-04-04, 08:13 AM
To cut a long explanation short, Tremorsense can let you detect creatures through walls. Umber Hulks use this with burrowing to surprise adventurers. Blindsight lets you navigate without seeing. Grimlocks use this to see without eyes.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 08:17 AM
To cut a long explanation short, Tremorsense can let you detect creatures through walls. Umber Hulks use this with burrowing to surprise adventurers. Blindsight lets you navigate without seeing. Grimlocks use this to see without eyes.

You could also use tremorsense against burrowing or invisible creatures.

To the OP: Blindsight is not True Seeing.

The_Ditto
2016-04-04, 09:22 AM

Totally understand that ... in fact, the later ability of Third Eye discipline is True seeing .. no worries there.

Hmm, so Blind sight can't see invisible ? So it just "ignores darkness and obscurement" ... basically ?
(Hmm, maybe I'm thinking too much along the lines of 3.5 Touchsight :) )

What about cover? I guess it doesn't nullify the penalty if shooting at, but I assume it would prevent any benefit for cover in regards to stealth/hiding/etc ?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-04-04, 09:33 AM
You would ignore the disadvantage to perception checks and the blinded condition elements of obscurement, dim light and darkness.

I would rule that if the source of obscurement is physical (such as foliage) rather than light-based, then you would still need to do a perception check vs stealth check to spot hiding creatures. You just wouldn't have any disadvantages while doing so.

RulesJD
2016-04-04, 10:19 AM
You could also use tremorsense against burrowing or invisible creatures.

I understand the bolded text, but can you point to the rules on it? The only section I've seen for Blindsight is sadly lacking and don't do a terribly good job of describing the condition.

SharkForce
2016-04-04, 10:24 AM
can't recall, did they change the mental attack that mystics get to actually require LoE to the target yet?

last i recall, if you could perceive it you could use your attack on it. in that context, tremorsense being able to see through walls is a pretty significant upgrade...

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 10:40 AM
I understand the bolded text, but can you point to the rules on it?

Check pages 8 and 9 of the Monster Manual.