PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Check

raspin
2016-04-04, 08:20 AM
Does failing a medicine check to stabalise a downed comrade cause a failed death save (in addition to the one they must roll themselves that turn)?.

If so that means a critical fail on a death save and a failed stabalise check and your dead?

Does critically failing, Nat 1, on medicine check have any consequences?

Thanks for info

mgshamster
2016-04-04, 08:28 AM
Does failing a medicine check to stabalise a downed comrade cause a failed death save (in addition to the one they must roll themselves that turn)?.

If so that means a critical fail on a death save and a failed stabalise check and your dead?

Thanks for info

Failing a medicine check does nothing. There's no worries that failing a medicine check (even with a nat 1) will further damage your comrade.

raspin
2016-04-04, 08:53 AM
Ok, so someone failed to stabalize me with a 9, having been convinced by the dm it was a preferable option to the potion they planned to pour down my throat, and the fail resulted in me getting a death fail. This was after a combat. I was then facing death with either a Nat 1 on my death save that round or a fail followed by someone, god forbid, trying to stabalize me again and failing. I lived but only because second time around the potion was administered.

I was left thinking what a lame way that would have been to die and why the medicine check had never been mentioned before on the numerous times people have been downed.

mgshamster
2016-04-04, 09:00 AM
Ok, so someone failed to stabalize me with a 9, having been convinced by the dm it was a preferable option to the potion they planned to pour down my throat, and the fail resulted in me getting a death fail. This was after a combat. I was then facing death with either a Nat 1 on my death save that round or a fail followed by someone, god forbid, trying to stabalize me again and failing. I lived but only because second time around the potion was administered.

I was left thinking what a lame way that would have been to die.

The GM can Houserule the change, but the medicine skill already does so little that it would be wierd to gimp it even more.

Just look up the Stabilization rules in the combat chapter. It says that you can stabilize a dying creature with a DC 10 medicine check. No where does it say that if you fail the check, they lose a death saving throw.

raspin
2016-04-04, 09:05 AM
House rules are fine. Encouraging someone to do it when they don't know the downside is a bit lame.

My DM seems to think v.paladins are op so I think he's resolved to solve it by either keeping me on the ground where I can't be op or killing me.

Rhaegar
2016-04-04, 09:26 AM
Also if the check is after combat, a second player could help with stabilization in order to grant advantage on the roll.

raspin
2016-04-04, 09:28 AM
Help was not mention. The entire round seemed to exist so a medicine check could be made an I could keep making death saves.

mgshamster
2016-04-04, 09:29 AM
House rules are fine. Encouraging someone to do it when they don't know the downside is a bit lame.

My DM seems to think v.paladins are op so I think he's resolved to solve it by either keeping me on the ground where I can't be op or killing me.

That's probably an issue with the GM believing that high damage means over-powered. Your GM is likely falling into the trap of GM vs player, which can create a very bad game.

The most op characters aren't the ones that can do damage (it's easy to set up an adventure where damage won't solve the problem), but rather the characters who have the most options and can completey circumvent challenges with relative ease. This is why wizards have always been on the top of the power curve - they have the most options.

Still, 5e has done a really good job making all classes viable in a game. And while paladins can do a lot of damage, and they nova high, once their spike damage is gone they're no more powerful than a fighter, barbarian, or ranger. Heck, even a beast master ranger can do more damage than a paladin, despite everyone hating on it. The math just works out that way.

I'd recommend having your GM read up on GMing tips before he goes too far into the player vs GM path.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-04, 11:03 AM
This is why you want a healer kit. It's better to blow half a gold worth of medical supplies stabilizing someone than give him a chance to die next turn. It's way more efficient than popping a 50 gold potion for it, that's for sure.

raspin
2016-04-04, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Vogonjeltz
2016-04-04, 04:39 PM

Thanks for info

1) No.

2) No.

3) A roll of a 1 is neither a critical failure, nor an automatic failure (it might even be a success) on an ability check. (Although, it's worth noting that if a roll of a 1 would not fail, then the DM should just skip the check).

4) You're welcome!