PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Speardancer / poledancer build help?

Elgate
2016-04-04, 09:09 AM
Hello,
I found the feats about the spear dancer, turning any polearm weapon in a double weapon. Looking for idea I saw someone joking about a bard spear dancer, planting his spear and doing some pole-dance around it. I fell in love with this idea. I've been looking all around for a way to make it work, giving it flavor without being a burden to the team, and without relying on spells to deal damage. I actually want to spear dance around the fight and not being merely a buffer.

for information,
"spear dancing style" require dex13 two weapon fighting and weapon focus
"spear dancing spiral" require dex15 weapon finesse, spear dancing style
"spear dancing reach" require dex17 and spear dancing spiral
I have found several interesting things, but i can't make all of this work without taking a fighter because I'm always short on feat.
Technically, there is almost nothing tied to character level (bab+1 for weapon focus) but this is actually a HUGE problem in the character building.

The spear totem would go great with a skald, allowing me to perform while fighting, but: I'm heavily short on feat, making human a must, but then I have a problem because I can't take weapon focus at lvl 1. meaning that I have to take it at 3 and make this build fully functionnal by level 7, not even taking into account that I don't feel like it would deal that much damage.

The unchained rogue could be an idea, I could go for a faucharde getting weapon finesse for free, and even dex to dmg by level 3, making this build quite viable if I where to take another class after. Problems are that I don't want to rely on sneak attack to deal damage, making it almost a worthless thing, and also mainly because I'm gonna have a really hard time hitting with a 3/4BAB and TWF even more if I don't rely on ways to target flat-footed AC. And as usual, feat hungry.

I was thinking of a free-style master, taking both the spear dancing style with a faucharde and the wolf style, going to trip my opponent while they get in range and keep them pinned on the ground, but i'm not going to deal much damage either, since I MUST have weapon finesse (i could not make use of it, but that would mean basically throwing away 2 feat just to reach the 3rd all while I still must have more than 17 dex)

Dervish of dawn bard could be an idea, but i'm not going to make use of the dervish dance ability.
Ranger would be a good idea by lvl two with a free twf and a full bab

Warpriest was an idea I loved, where I could basically roleplay as a holy poledancer. Shelyn goddess of love and arts. Perfect for a poledancer, I get weapon focus at lvl1, get bigger weapon damage for the second head of my weapon by lvl 4, and I'm quite confident some DM might agree to have me being proeficient with a faucharde instead of a glaive considering their similarities. Here I'm mainly afraid to be on the weak side of damage, but I'd be easier on feat (weapon focuse 1st level, makin the whole process easier, and 1 bonus feat lvl 3). Main problem being that I would not be useful until I get spear dancing spiral to get my dex on my spear. I would also need a lot more stats for it to work, I'd need strenght to damage, dex to attack and wisdom to spells.

Other interesting idea I found, I found the elven branched spear, which I could use but it would make spear dancing spiral worthless.

I found a lot of cool thing looking for way to make it works, but I can't find a definite way to put it together to get a character worth playing with properly.

Psyren
2016-04-04, 09:44 AM
I haven't actually tried to map out what you're after here, but have you considered retraining? Remember that when you retrain, you use your character as they currently are to meet prereqs, not as they were back when you originally got the feat slot. So for example, your Bard or Rogue could retrain your level 1 feat into Weapon Focus at level 2+, even though back at level 1 you didn't have BAB +1.

EDIT 1: Retraining rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/retraining)
EDIT 2: Retraining FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gn#v5748eaic9r9h) for "retroactive qualification" with specific Weapon Focus example.

NightbringerGGZ
2016-04-04, 10:22 AM
This build requires a TON of feats so really at least some early levels as a Fighter are almost mandatory. You need:

Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus, Spear Dancing Style and Spear Dancing Spiral in order to be wielding a polearm as a finessable double weapon. As a pure bard you won't have the basic components of your build until level 7 and that is just way too late.

Unchained Rogue 4 is actually quite good as you get Weapon Finesse for free and can grab Weapon Focus and Two Weapon Fighting via Rogue talents. This would let you use the retraining rules as Psyren points out to have Spear Dancing Style at 4th level and Spear Dancing Spiral at 5th.

A Fighter character with Bard Variant Multiclassing would also work out quite well, but this is more of a damage-heavy build with some Bardic buffing so that might stray too far from your concept.

Elgate
2016-04-04, 11:12 AM
That may be the way to go, 4 levels to get uncanny dodge, evasion and the two rogue talent turned into combat feat, then switch to warpriest, seeking redemption from the gods. If I ever get a chance to deal sneak damage, I can also put a debilitating injury on top, multiple time to extend duration, lowering AC on the 1st hit to make it easier for the next to land.

rogue:
lvl1:
normal feat:twf
rogue: weapon finesse
lvl2: rogue talent weapon training
lvl3:
rogue: weapon finesse
normal feat: spear dancer
lvl4:
rogue talent combat trick spear dancer spiral

warpriest
lvl5:
warpriest: weapon focus
retrain the rogue talent weapon training to rogue talent shadow duplicate (a bit of survivability)
normal feat: spear dancer reach

level 1 and 2, not much damage, but monster aren't tough yet.
level 3, I start dealing damage and can start working on my poledancing skills
level 4, I can start dancing among the opponent
level 5, i have the full style tree and can even reroll my rogue talent.

And during these levels, I also get quite a bit of survivability with evasion and uncanny dodge, all that without even needing being human.
I should take a half elf, that way I can start with exotic weapon proeficiency(fauchard) and multitalented, favored class bonus in both rogue and warpriest, as well as the usual half elves bonus (namely the enchant resist and the perception bonus)

I can't believe how easy it look on paper while I couldn't figure it out alone.

thank for the enlightenment.