PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Clockwork Army?

atemu1234
2016-04-04, 09:23 AM
I'm DMing a game and I wanted to set up a unique Elder Evil campaign; and to do so I decided to make something I called the Clockwork Emperor. Still working on the backstory, so I'll spoiler it if anyone wants to read it.

The Clockwork Emperor was once a mortal being, the king of a now-extinct race of Elves. In this campaign setting (it's homebrew), the first Elves were the creations of extraplanar entities called the Exterus (the Exterus are beings from the far realm, in this world). The Exterus melded with the first of their creations, and fell into nonexistence. The Clockwork Emperor was among the first created, a first-generation, giving him strange powers. He lived a for five thousand years, and saw the rise of other species of elves. Out of fear for his kin, knowing their time had come, he sought to wipe them out. But, despite his superior might, he began to lose his hold on his dominion and his forces began to fall.

A powerful artificer, he had his priests and his wizards summon entities from the Far Realm and began to bind them into his creations - called the Clockwork Army. These entities, made from mortal metal and possessed by malevolent beings of entropy, were brought to bear against his opponents. Unfortunately, he put too much faith into his own power, and through his mistakes he was confronted and bodily thrown into the far realm. It was assumed he had died.

But he survived, through some unholy miracle. He has achieved near-godlike status, and is returning to the world to wipe out all life on the plane from which he has been exiled. He is no longer an entity as he once was - he is something worse.

The greatest sign of his return is that his armies - which fell prone at his defeat, and were interred in ancient catacombs - begin to stir. But I need stats for them from the footsoldiers/recently awakened (about CR 3ish) up to their War Machines (~CR 17), and one at about every third level beneath that.

Any ideas for what I could do?

Edit: I forgot to mention, to add another layer to it, the only humanoids are Elves; there are no other humanoid races, nor are there available monster races for this campaign. Monsters from a bunch of sources exist, but they are not playable by the PCs.

BearonVonMu
2016-04-04, 10:44 AM
RPGnet has a small pdf book called Construct Mechanus.
It details two similar races of clockwork sentient humanoids which would do nicely, along with supporting feats and classes.
There is a Clockwork golem on the Pathfinder SRD as well.
Alternately, you could edit existing creatures to make them look/feel like clockwork troopers.

Demidos
2016-04-04, 10:51 AM
Option 1: Take from a mixture of constructs and inevitables
Option 2: Create construct lookalikes by adding construct immunities to regular creatures, and making their abilities match (fire instead of cold, acid instead of poison, sonic attacks, etc).

Malimar
2016-04-04, 10:57 AM
There's a bunch of clockwork critters of all levels on the pfsrd (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/clockwork), and a bunch of clockworks in 3.5, too -- I'm thinking in particular the <Metal> Horrors from Monster Manual II.

For the Clockwork Emperor himself (and maybe some of his higher-up servants) you could consider the Renegade Mastermaker prestige class (see my sig!) -- or just use Warforged in the first place and say he was transformed at some point; all Renegade Mastermaker really does is make you Warforged. Also, construct and/or maug grafts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?190350-Fleshwarping-A-List-of-Grafts-Symbionts-and-Related-Goodies), or the Half-Golem template (Monster Manual II).

Jowgen
2016-04-04, 05:16 PM
I'd recommend tying the EE in with the MM2 Clockwork Horror monsters others have mentioned. Dragon 350 p. 58 has an article on their ecology that's great.

Example background: Following his exile to the Far Realm, the EE has struggled to find a way to return to the great wheel. He quickly learned that the binding can only be undone from the material plane, so he tried to establish mental contact, but nothing was able to "pick up his signal". That is, until a certain artificer on a material plane world created the Adamantine Horror. Something about it's advanced creation process incidentally or accidentally made it a viable receiver for the EE's distant whispers. The EE immediately commanded this (in his mind simplistic) construct, setting it on the conquor&multiply course that MM2 and Dragon 350 detail. The Clockwork Horros thus work to conquor world after world and multiply, all in order to gather sufficient ammounts of a special super-rare raw material for them to build a gateway (http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/f/fc/Sg1-9x06_3939.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090810032911)that'll allow him to travel back.

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-04, 05:24 PM
I thought I was going to read something about "Effigy Master", but maybe you should read something about it in Complete Arcane. I think it fits the theme so good, that your evil guy should have the 5 lvl in it ;)

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 06:06 PM
Effigies are a good choice
Pseudonatural Effigies are GREAT (first add effigy THEN pseudonatural) and weird and... well their alternate form is a throbbing mass of strange springs and tubes and strangely fleshy cogs

warforged scorpions

warforged cultists