PDA

View Full Version : Gods in Phb 5ed help

Ewhit
2016-04-04, 10:50 AM
1. Does 5ed have a book template to create gods and do and don't info.
2. Creating gods in your own world
3. Adding gods to the listed FR GH EB nonhuman deities section
4. Listing previous edition gods like Raven Queen into own or pre created worlds like FR Ghawk EB
5. Placing other gods In other realms ideas like vecna in FR
6 besides above questions I ran into issue of a human tempest cleric chaotic good in FR and who to worship. All tempest gods in FR are Evil. Auril Talos umberlee. And from what I read Talos is an aspect of Gruumsh the Orc God.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 11:04 AM
4. Listing previous edition gods like Raven Queen into own or pre created worlds like FR Ghawk EB
6 besides above questions I ran into issue of a human tempest cleric chaotic good in FR and who to worship. All tempest gods in FR are Evil. Auril Talos umberlee. And from what I read Talos is an aspect of Gruumsh the Orc God.

You might want to clarify your questions a little better; it's not clear what you're really asking here. That said, I expect the answer to most of the questions is "It's the DM's world; they can do whatever the hell they like."

Regarding Tempest deities in the FR, my list has three CG ones: Aedrie Faenya and Deep Sashelas (Elven deities of sky and sea respectively) and Valkur (god of naval combat), an exarch of Tempus. They are the only good ones, in fact: there are no LG or NG tempest gods on the list.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 11:10 AM
Certainly not in the PHB, that would be the realm of the Dungeon Master's Guide. However, I'm pretty sure there is no guide in there on creating your own gods and the like. And as a DM, you can say any god is a part of your own personal world. After all, it's generally accepted that Dungeons & Dragons is part of one large multi-verse, and there are notes of times where things went from one setting to another, like in Dungeons & Dragons Online.

As for adding gods from the old editions, it shouldn't be too hard, just look at the domains allowed and use some common sense as to which of the current domains they'd fit best.

As for your last point, in the Forgotten Realms, it's acceptable to be one-step away from your chosen deity. So if they happen to be Chaotic Evil, you can be Chaotic Neutral and get away with it. Chaotic Good would be a no-no, true, as would True Neutral, since diagonals count as two steps away. If they can't accept changing their chosen alignment to Chaotic Neutral, you can either have them chose a new domain and god, or design up a new god.

...A quick look shows that Valkur, a demigod who is an exarch of Tempus, has a portfolio of sailors, ships, favorable winds, and naval combat. His symbol is a cloud with three lightning bolts on a shield, and he IS Chaotic Good. He could work with the Tempest and War domains, so if you want to let someone like that in your game, by all means, do so.

Edit: Ninja'd slighlty. It's what I get for spending so long typing and browsing the Forgotten Realms wiki.

Ewhit
2016-04-04, 11:20 AM
Thanks I saw valkur on wiki but not in phb deity section was wondering if omitted because of a timeline issue.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 11:28 AM
Thanks I saw valkur on wiki but not in phb deity section was wondering if omitted because of a timeline issue.

In Wizards of the Coast's defense, there are A LOT of gods in the Forgotten Realm. It's possible that they simply didn't have the time to find them all and convert them, or they forgot about some of them.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 11:35 AM
As for your last point, in the Forgotten Realms, it's acceptable to be one-step away from your chosen deity.

I'm not a fan of alignment restrictions for clerics in 5e. It doesn't fit with the design philosophy - and the growing acceptance that what someone writes on their character sheet does not necessarily have to match how they behave or how the universe perceives them.

It's like, am I not allowed to leave an offering to Umberlee before I sail, just because I see myself as a good person? It doesn't make any sense.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 11:45 AM
It's like, am I not allowed to leave an offering to Umberlee before I sail, just because I see myself as a good person? It doesn't make any sense.

Sure you can leave an offering in order to appease her wrath, you know she exists and that she's not very nice. It's not like you're actively worshiping her or gaining your clerical powers from her, are you? Do the gods say you can't leave offerings to other gods?

CantigThimble
2016-04-04, 11:56 AM
Sure you can leave an offering in order to appease her wrath, you know she exists and that she's not very nice. It's not like you're actively worshiping her or gaining your clerical powers from her, are you? Do the gods say you can't leave offerings to other gods?

Too many preconcieved notions about the way people think about the divine in our modern monotheistic world get transferred over to the polytheistic world of D&D. Even a theocratic empire in service to single god wouldn't stop acknowledging or trying to appease other gods than their primary deity, that's just suicidal.

Regitnui
2016-04-04, 12:04 PM
Too many preconcieved notions about the way people think about the divine in our modern monotheistic world get transferred over to the polytheistic world of D&D. Even a theocratic empire in service to single god wouldn't stop acknowledging or trying to appease other gods than their primary deity, that's just suicidal.

A great example here would be the faith of the Sovereign Host from Eberron. They are polytheistic, worshipping whoever they need to; a smith thanks Boldrei for his family, Arawai for his food, while he considers Onatar the god he has most in common with and offers prayers to the Fury who governs madness and passion. A sailor offers respect to the Devourer, simply because the Devourer is the god of storms and the ocean.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 12:08 PM
Perhaps I should have left off about Umberlee there. It's made you miss my point, which is that alignment isn't real. Or at least, not until you die and the powers that be need to decide where your soul goes.

And it's not fixed, either. A person could commit some great evil, but then later be redeemed. Would they have to switch gods to keep their powers while working back towards redemption? I would think that would depend on the specifics of the case.

Regitnui
2016-04-04, 12:17 PM
Perhaps I should have left off about Umberlee there. It's made you miss my point, which is that alignment isn't real. Or at least, not until you die and the powers that be need to decide where your soul goes.

And it's not fixed, either. A person could commit some great evil, but then later be redeemed. Would they have to switch gods to keep their powers while working back towards redemption? I would think that would depend on the specifics of the case.

I guess, in a polytheist setting in the Great Wheel, you have your patron deity (say Talos) and you work towards advancing their cause in the world. If you're a cleric, you try to avoid offending them, so unless they're extremely jealous of followers, offering to a deity with a different portfolio might be forgiven. If you don't have a specific patron to honour, it's your alignment that decdes where you go, so there's no problem in venerating any deity.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 12:23 PM

A cleric should be following the tenets of their god, so they really wouldn't commit some great evil/good because it's not part of the tenets they follow. If it's so blatantly against what their god decrees, they'll probably lose their power right off the bat anyways, whether or not it constitutes an alignment change. Being a cleric isn't like a wizard or sorcerer. You're given those powers. If the source of them says "you know what, you haven't been doing what I want you to, so away goes all those divine spells I let you use," you're just SoL. True, most good gods would probably give you a chance at redemption or to prove your conviction, but an evil god will probably just kick you to the curb and let their next cleric use you as a sacrifice.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 12:36 PM
they really wouldn't commit some great evil/good because it's not part of the tenets they follow.

It's so adorable that you believe that! :smalltongue:

And yeah, an evil god might sacrifice a rogue cleric, but a smart rogue cleric could find ways to advance their own agenda without displeasing their god. Especially an evil cleric in a good church.

Or, what if a good drow was dragooned into the church of Lolth at rapier-point? She wouldn't want to commit evil acts, but might find a way to blag it while secretly helping people.

Douche
2016-04-04, 12:38 PM
I thought that gods didn't get stats, cuz if they have stats then they can be killed. They just do whatever the DM says they do, cuz they're freakin' gods.

Are you trying to kill a god, or something? This is a dark road you travel, my friend. I beseech you to turn back from this pursuit, for it will lead you to ruin

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 12:47 PM

And yeah, an evil god might sacrifice a rogue cleric, but a smart rogue cleric could find ways to advance their own agenda without displeasing their god. Especially an evil cleric in a good church.

Or, what if a good drow was dragooned into the church of Lolth at rapier-point? She wouldn't want to commit evil acts, but might find a way to blag it while secretly helping people.

Lolth would know and not grant that drow any clerical powers what-so-ever, and in fact would probably just have her killed on the spot. And probably the clerics who tried to force her into worship for daring to bring a good drow into the fold.

Regitnui
2016-04-04, 12:53 PM

Ninja, a God (where they exist) can immediately withdraw their support to a cleric that they're granting spells to. FR is one of those settings where the Gods are a physical reality. Eberron, on the other hand, is extremely ambivalent on the gods. One of the major LG religions in the world, the Silver Flame, has a LE second in command.

Sorry, a what? Drow are all evil little feminists who wear skimpy clothing. Honestly, Lolth would probably be able to tell that that particular drow is unfaithful and turn her into a drider, Lolth is a physical demon god, after all.

The thing that you're missing, Ninja. is that in a lot of these worlds the standards for clerics are physically enforced by omniscient beings from the outer planes. Eberron violates the one-step rule because its deities are non-interventionist and may be nonexistent. Other extraplanar beings, however, aren't.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 01:02 PM
omniscient beings

I don't recall reading anywhere that all gods are omniscient, and I'm sure there are evil gods that specifically seek to corrupt good people. Why not accept a good cleric and try to twist them into a life of sin?

JumboWheat01
2016-04-04, 01:22 PM
I don't recall reading anywhere that all gods are omniscient, and I'm sure there are evil gods that specifically seek to corrupt good people. Why not accept a good cleric and try to twist them into a life of sin?

There's a difference between corrupting someone good into willingly giving themselves to evil and having someone good being coerced into evil. The former is more fun, the latter is grounds for smiting.

Saffron-sama
2016-04-04, 02:05 PM

This something in the DMG.
1. Page 10 in the DMG has the way to build and mess with the panteon in your world it also includes the dawn war dieties (4e dieties, the one with the raven queen).
2. See one.
3. Just add the gods from that section that you want they wont do much harm to anything if you do.
4. See 1 and 3.
5. Its your or dms game do what you (or what the dm allows) want plus FR mainly takes place in faerun you can say the gods your adding are from another pantheon from a different continent.
6. So I did not find any specific rules in the PHB or SCAG to say you need to be of your gods alignment or even near it. So thats up to the dm.

RickAllison
2016-04-04, 02:16 PM
Interesting quote from the PHB:

Did you enter this service
willingly? Or did the god choose you, impelling you into
service with no regard for your wishes?

Theoretically, a good person could be be impelled to serve an evil deity, probably as some tactic to corrupt and convert the righteous to evil. It would certainly make for a... contentious relationship.