PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ring of Ninja Turtle

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 12:24 PM
My beatstick player (from the group I DM) recently, half-jokingly, asked if he could be a wereturtle. He's pretty new to the game, so he has absolutely no idea how lycanthropes actually work mechanically. Not wanting to nerf to the player, I told him that I'm cool with the idea but I'd want a little time to come up with a mechanically viable option rather than just statting up a were turtle. With a little further input from him, my idea is a magic item that lets him take on a hybrid form, and has three pre-loaded forms. The other players, all of which are casters, are cool with the idea and want him to have it. The three forms he selected are yak, lemur, and turtle. I'm thinking that it should be a ring with three uses per day, with each use having a duration of maybe 2d6 rounds. I'm also thinking that each form should have a different emphasis; turtle can be defensive (NA and DR), yak can be offensive (flat Strength and Constitution bonuses and maybe a charge bonus) and lemur can be mobility (movement speed and maybe a climb speed). What are your thoughts on how I can make this balanced? I'd like each form to have its niche, and not make the other players jealous. The player in question is level six in a homebrewed melee class that is roughly on par with the barbarian.

ComaVision
2016-04-04, 12:33 PM
I think if you stat the hybrid forms like you would for a lycanthrope you'll pretty much get the niches without editing them. Turtle (PF) has a bunch of natural armour and the ability to hide in the shell for an extra +2, Monkey has a bonus to dex and a climb speed, Bison has a bunch of strength and con.

Also, I'd make the duration a flat amount instead of variable. 1 minute per use seems good to me.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 12:36 PM
Hypothetically, what would the value of this item be if I just adapt the MM manuals?

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 12:41 PM
There is a turtlefolk race on dragon magazine
The red tide setting.
Is LA 1 or 2 iirc, and wouldn't be too much to make it LA 0

Eta: Tortle, Dagmag 315, no LA, bonus to wis and con, malus to Dex and Cha, natural ac bonus, slow, swim speed and swim bonus

ComaVision
2016-04-04, 12:47 PM
I think around 5000 gp would be a fair price for the item. I was using the Phylactery of Change (polymorph 1/day, indefinite duration for 11,200 gp) and Amber Amulet of Vermin (1/day summons a bug under your control, 500-1200gp) for comparison.

Deadline
2016-04-04, 12:47 PM
My oldest son and I actually made a build for this in one of the Iron Chef spin-offs.

Here it is: Scrap Iron Chef II - Enrico Tortuga (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15689562&postcount=85)

He was a natural were-snapping turtle (from Stormwrack).

icefractal
2016-04-04, 01:21 PM
Depending on the optimization-level and offense vs defense focus of your party, you may want to make this a swift action or move action to activate. I say that because in some campaigns, giving up a round is big and would at the least outweigh any offensive boost the Yak form gives.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 02:28 PM
I was thinking a swift action at best, and a standard action at worst. A move action might be a nice compromise; the party isn't massively optimized but they're fairly powerful and are definitely quick on the attack (occasionally almost suicidally so). Forcing the tank to burn a full-round action to get ready to rumble would definitely change their first round strategy and encourage them to slow it down a bit and more clearly formulate their strategy, but if they wanted to do that they'd already be doing that so I think I'll avoid that. I think a move action to activate is pretty fair all round, and I think I'm going to go with a 1d6+3 round duration. Not too short, not too long, and an element of variability to spice things up.

Gnaeus
2016-04-04, 03:05 PM
I would look at the Skinwalker on the PFSRD. They don't have Turtle, but there is a skinwalker crocodile, and I think you could just replace the +2 Str and ferocity traits with some NA and Bob's your uncle.

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 03:38 PM
Have him slowly change race into a Tortle (maybe just boost his native armor and hit his Dex) and give him the divine minion template for a giant tortoise shape. Giant Tortoise isn't a very utility form (swim speed, maybe a burrow speed, slow movement, natural armor) so it is just for larks. LA 0.

BWR
2016-04-04, 04:19 PM
Fun fact: tortles from the Savage Coast are fond of the 2e equivalent of the monk class and suffer from the Red Curse, which mutates them. And as we all know, most adventurers start in their teens.

Âmesang
2016-04-04, 04:24 PM
Red steel sais would match Raphael's mask color; just throw in a nezumi from Oriental Adventures to lead 'em. :smalltongue:

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 04:37 PM
Sadly, he wants it to be easily reversible and I'm not cruel enough to permanently make him a mutant turtle abomination. A custom prestige class was discussed, but ultimately we decided on an item.

Not cruel enough yet, at least.

Coidzor
2016-04-04, 07:38 PM
I'm reminded of the Giant's custom base class based on He-Man and some other stuff like that, The Champion.

Gildedragon
2016-04-04, 08:12 PM
Sadly, he wants it to be easily reversible and I'm not cruel enough to permanently make him a mutant turtle abomination. A custom prestige class was discussed, but ultimately we decided on an item.

Not cruel enough yet, at least.
How Easy are we talking. It might be a curse; in which case, easy enough: break enchantment or fulfill some mystical shenanigans
or he wants easy: turn back human easy

Easier yet. Ring grants a Minor Change Shape ability to human; like a hat of disguise but because it is limited to his prior human form, give it a massive discount OR a +20 bonus to pass as human instead of +10

Godskook
2016-04-04, 08:16 PM
I'm going to go a completely different route and suggest that you have him play wildshape Ranger. Or rather, a customized one.

Specifically:

Sub out casting instead of combat styles(a slight buff) for wildshape, and then sub out proper wildshape and ranger animal companion for the shapeshift variant(a weaker animal companion means you're spending slightly less, but shapeshift is widely regarded as a nerf to wildshape, so that makes up for it).

Now, you have a full set of 'rules' you can tinker and pare down to what you want. Also, since shapeshift is available from level 1, this should overall fit with a party at any level.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 10:36 PM
I'm going to go a completely different route and suggest that you have him play wildshape Ranger. Or rather, a customized one.

Specifically:

Sub out casting instead of combat styles(a slight buff) for wildshape, and then sub out proper wildshape and ranger animal companion for the shapeshift variant(a weaker animal companion means you're spending slightly less, but shapeshift is widely regarded as a nerf to wildshape, so that makes up for it).

Now, you have a full set of 'rules' you can tinker and pare down to what you want. Also, since shapeshift is available from level 1, this should overall fit with a party at any level.

I'll suggest that in case his character dies. There's a significant chance of that happening, so I'll definitely keep this on the back burner. Where do I find shapeshift information?

Godskook
2016-04-04, 10:45 PM
I'll suggest that in case his character dies. There's a significant chance of that happening, so I'll definitely keep this on the back burner. Where do I find shapeshift information?

Player Handbook 2

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 10:48 PM
Okay thanks! I'll check that out once I get a chance.

Vogie
2016-04-05, 02:10 PM

I think, story-wise, it'd be better to be three different items. A turtle shell shield he also could wear on his back (Captain 'Murica Style) to transform, a set Yak horn knuckle dusters that transform him when worn on the head, and, of course, a Gold "Super Leaf" pendent that allows him a Lemur form....

As an homage to Super Mario

That allows him a bit more flexibility, and gives the GM some storyline shenanigans - making an enemy "steal" a one of them, et cetera, allowing creative restrictive choice without obliterating the character's main schtick.

LTwerewolf
2016-04-05, 02:24 PM
"Surprise, you're not a human, you're a shifter!"

Bullet06320
2016-04-05, 02:32 PM

refluff bear warrior Prc to tortle warrior?

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-05, 03:02 PM
He also wants it to be changeable, or in other words not always have to be a turtle (hence the three forms). I like the ring because then I can just have him pay a caster a bag of gold to change one of forms for something else if he gets bored, rather than having to stat up new items each time.