PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bardic College of Folklore (the "princess" bard)

Grynning
2016-04-04, 01:08 PM
Our new theme is Fairy Tales! This began life as our idea of a Disney princess, but as Rob worked on it, it morphed into a story-collector with some unique abilities.

http://forgotmydice.com/index.php/2016/04/04/bardic-college-of-folklore/

Griss The Gnome
2016-04-04, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty proud of this one. A lot of fantasy these days gets caught up in the machinations of the nobility. So a class path that focuses on the common man opens up some interesting potential for role play. Plus, you can sing to your bird, and then have it curse people.

Celcey
2016-04-04, 06:30 PM
I really like the fluff of this, but the crunch seems kind of blah, just a bunch of new spells. The bestow/remove curse also seems out of place for a Disney Princess.

Final Hyena
2016-04-04, 07:03 PM
Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of Folklore at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with one Artisan’s Tools of your choice, Land Vehicles, and the Intelligence (Medicine) checks.

and the Intelligence (Medicine) checks.

and Wisdom (Medicine) checks.

The level 6 ability feels under powered, the other archetypes gain an extra attack or spells which is important as the bard lacks the extra attack and a great spell list. The same is true for the level 14 ability.

Overall an underpowered class.

Grynning
2016-04-04, 09:00 PM
and the Intelligence (Medicine) checks.

and Wisdom (Medicine) checks.

The level 6 ability feels under powered, the other archetypes gain an extra attack or spells which is important as the bard lacks the extra attack and a great spell list. The same is true for the level 14 ability.

Overall an underpowered class.

Thanks for the heads up on the skill. It does gain a spell and a pretty good one at level 6 (Conjure Animals). I don't know if you missed that.

Grynning
2016-04-04, 09:02 PM
The bestow/remove curse also seems out of place for a Disney Princess.

I actually liked that feature. A) the class is no longer just a disney princess but more of a manipulator of the "story," and B) Disney princesses are always the *subjects* of curses so this kinda flips that on its ear and lets them get some payback.

Final Hyena
2016-04-04, 09:51 PM
It does gain a spell and a pretty good one at level 6 (Conjure Animals). I don't know if you missed that.

If we just compare it to lore bard as they're the most similar

Level 3;

They both get 3 skills (but lore gets to pick his)
Lore gets a new bardic dice interaction
Folklore gets a cantrip

I favour lore so far

Level 6;
Lore gets any two spells
Folklore gets one specified spell and a woodland feature that isn't great.

Lore is much better

Level 14;
Lore gets a new bardic dice interaction
Folklore gets two specified 3rd level spells (at a point when you know 7th level)

Honestly both options are meh but I think the lore feature will be more useful.

So overall Lore is just better.

Celcey
2016-04-05, 06:02 AM
I actually liked that feature. A) the class is no longer just a disney princess but more of a manipulator of the "story," and B) Disney princesses are always the *subjects* of curses so this kinda flips that on its ear and lets them get some payback.

I hear that, but I feel like there a better spells to give them that allow them to manipulate stories. And I agree with Final Hyena, it does seem a little underpowered when you compare it. I would also give animal handling as a proficiency, for example, and proficiency with a healers kit.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-08, 01:07 AM
I agree fluff is cool but crunch is bad. It just gives some spells and skills instead of cool bard stuff and it's weak