View Full Version : Crafting in 5.0

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 01:20 PM
Can someone break down and cite pages about how crafting and tool kits work in 5.0.
For example artisans tools, poisoners kit, herbalism kit?
I sure would appreciate it.

Burley
2016-04-04, 01:45 PM
So, the basic crafting rules on in the PHB on page 187, under Downtime Activities (which is a great DM resource, really. That's one I suggest reading a few times over as PCs will often want to sit around town doing nothing).

Magic Item crafting is on 128-129 of the DMG, again under the Downtime section.
Poison crafting is on 258 of the DMG.

Other particulars, like wood, metal and stone working should just fall under the PHB crafting rules.

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 01:50 PM
Thank you I'll give that a peek, I've looked multiple times but I haven't seen anything in depth

hymer
2016-04-04, 01:52 PM
Thank you I'll give that a peek, I've looked multiple times but I haven't seen anything in depth

There isn't much of any depth to crafting in 5e.

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 02:05 PM

I noticed, that's why I'm asking to see if anyone has found out something else I haven't seen.
It's kind of frustrating, like I just want to make poison, and my teammates have herbalism kits and have no idea what to do with them.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-04, 02:11 PM
I noticed, that's why I'm asking to see if anyone has found out something else I haven't seen.
It's kind of frustrating, like I just want to make poison, and my teammates have herbalism kits and have no idea what to do with them.

You can either craft poison (by the standard crafting rules, 5g/day), or harvest it from venomous creatures (DC 20 Int (nature or poisoner's kit proficiency) check.

You can use herbalism kit to craft appropriate items at the same rate, 5g/day. Examples of items created through the kit are antitoxin and potions of healing.

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 02:15 PM
You can either craft poison (by the standard crafting rules, 5g/day), or harvest it from venomous creatures (DC 20 Int (nature or poisoner's kit proficiency) check.

You can use herbalism kit to craft appropriate items at the same rate, 5g/day. Examples of items created through the kit are antitoxin and potions of healing.

Very helpful, thank you
Question though. The purple worm poison, specifies that we must have killed one or have its body around, if people were to assist could we forgo that and take the time it needs? It would take several weeks I'm aware if it is allowed.

RickAllison
2016-04-04, 02:20 PM
Fabricate crafting! Take 7 gp worth of iron from trade goods and some padding, mix with smith's tools proficiency, and laugh maniacally as you spend one spell slot and 10 minutes to manufacture something that would take your fighter 300 days of downtime to smith.

Yesterday, my Artificer fashioned himself a shield and a 10 gp lock out of a crowbar and shortsword he took off a dead rogue (he also has tinker's tools, which is how he can create the more intricate lock).

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 02:30 PM
Fabricate crafting! Take 7 gp worth of iron from trade goods and some padding, mix with smith's tools proficiency, and laugh maniacally as you spend one spell slot and 10 minutes to manufacture something that would take your fighter 300 days of downtime to smith.

Yesterday, my Artificer fashioned himself a shield and a 10 gp lock out of a crowbar and shortsword he took off a dead rogue (he also has tinker's tools, which is how he can create the more intricate lock).

Is that a spell?!
What page is it on, there are 2 casters in my party and on is looking for a new spell.

Thanks Rick

RickAllison
2016-04-04, 02:32 PM
Is that a spell?!
What page is it on, there are 2 casters in my party and on is looking for a new spell.

Thanks Rick

Page 239! Do note that anything requiring great skill to make requires the appropriate tools proficiency. Even with ordinary stuff, it has immense utility if you have 10 minutes to spare.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-04, 02:39 PM

Hymer, we don't do prizes for 'biggest understatement in the playground'. :smalltongue:

If anyone here doesn't like the RAW for crafting in 5e, you might give this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxshenxuvv6ystn/Advanced%20Crafting%20Rules.pdf?dl=0) a whirl (DM's supplement here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjnfaxsuwupwdvr/Advanced%20Crafting%20Rules%20-%20DM%20Reference.pdf?dl=0)). I'm always open to feedback from playtesters!

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 02:41 PM
Page 239! Do note that anything requiring great skill to make requires the appropriate tools proficiency. Even with ordinary stuff, it has immense utility if you have 10 minutes to spare.

Awesome I'll look into it

Roiyal-T
2016-04-04, 02:42 PM
Hymer, we don't do prizes for 'biggest understatement in the playground'. :smalltongue:

If anyone here doesn't like the RAW for crafting in 5e, you might give this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxshenxuvv6ystn/Advanced%20Crafting%20Rules.pdf?dl=0) a whirl (DM's supplement here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjnfaxsuwupwdvr/Advanced%20Crafting%20Rules%20-%20DM%20Reference.pdf?dl=0)). I'm always open to feedback from playtesters!

I'll give it a look later and feedback as well.
I'm ok with being a test subject

JackPhoenix
2016-04-04, 07:47 PM
Very helpful, thank you
Question though. The purple worm poison, specifies that we must have killed one or have its body around, if people were to assist could we forgo that and take the time it needs? It would take several weeks I'm aware if it is allowed.

As I already wrote, you can either craft the normal way (5gp/day, half cost in material), or you can harvest the poison from a corpse of venomous monster in 1 minute. The first method handwaves the need to have access to the raw material and turns it into generic crafting cost.

N810
2016-04-05, 10:01 AM
Are there rules for getting custom items made for you by an NPC ?
Assuming that the player is supplying some of the more rare materials.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-05, 08:46 PM
Are there rules for getting custom items made for you by an NPC ?
Assuming that the player is supplying some of the more rare materials.

Nope! character minimums