PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist + Master Craftsman [RAW/RAI Questions]

Levism84
2016-04-04, 01:32 PM
I am currently looking to play a self-medicating oddball alchemist based (loosely) off of Doctor Krieger from the Archer television series. Because much of the campaign will focus on intrigue and character development, as opposed to dungeon delving and combat, our party will have a bit more downtime than most. I want my alchemist to be able to brew potions for the party as well as experiment and craft golems, magical arms and armor, and wondrous items. I was looking to take the Promethean Disciple discovery for the golems but was also thinking of taking Master Craftsman for Craft (alchemy) to craft Wondrous Items as well as Magical Arms and Armor.

I was looking to see if there is anything in the Rules as Written or Rules as Interpreted that would support my idea for an alchemist being able to craft alchemical treatments to imbue mundane gear, armor, or weapons with magical abilities. For example, if my character had the Craft Wondrous Item feat, could he create an alchemical treatment for a backpack with a high enough Craft (alchemy) check to turn it into a [I]handy haversack? Another example, if my character had the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat, could he create an alchemical treatment for a longsword with a high enough Craft (alchemy) check to turn it into a +1 flaming longsword?

"You see, I mix together the reagents with an extract of fire lily root and... (bam!) magic flame sword-thingy. It is very scientific."

pilvento
2016-04-04, 02:18 PM
I allowed one of the players in my table to do the exact same thing, it is all about how DM wants to rule it in favor of your caharacter concept.

And if he says no, tell him his athority is not recognised in fort kickass.

Psyren
2016-04-04, 02:40 PM
I am currently looking to play a self-medicating oddball alchemist based (loosely) off of Doctor Krieger from the Archer television series. Because much of the campaign will focus on intrigue and character development, as opposed to dungeon delving and combat, our party will have a bit more downtime than most. I want my alchemist to be able to brew potions for the party as well as experiment and craft golems, magical arms and armor, and wondrous items. I was looking to take the Promethean Disciple discovery for the golems but was also thinking of taking Master Craftsman for Craft (alchemy) to craft Wondrous Items as well as Magical Arms and Armor.

I was looking to see if there is anything in the Rules as Written or Rules as Interpreted that would support my idea for an alchemist being able to craft alchemical treatments to imbue mundane gear, armor, or weapons with magical abilities. For example, if my character had the Craft Wondrous Item feat, could he create an alchemical treatment for a backpack with a high enough Craft (alchemy) check to turn it into a handy haversack? Another example, if my character had the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat, could he create an alchemical treatment for a longsword with a high enough Craft (alchemy) check to turn it into a [I]+1 flaming longsword?

"You see, I mix together the reagents with an extract of fire lily root and... (bam!) magic flame sword-thingy. It is very scientific."

If you are doing this purely as a fluff explanation for how your alchemist's Master Craftsman feat works - by all means, go for it.

If however this fluff lets you do things that can't normally be done (e.g. you can hand your treatment off to someone else without crafting feats, yet they can then pour it on their backpack to turn it into a handy haversack) then that would not be allowed.

Basically, refluff to your heart's content, as long as the new fluff doesn't interfere with the crunch in some way.

Levism84
2016-04-04, 03:18 PM
And if he says no, tell him his athority is not recognised in fort kickass.

+1

If you are doing this purely as a fluff explanation for how your alchemist's Master Craftsman feat works - by all means, go for it.

If however this fluff lets you do things that can't normally be done (e.g. you can hand your treatment off to someone else without crafting feats, yet they can then pour it on their backpack to turn it into a handy haversack) then that would not be allowed.

Basically, refluff to your heart's content, as long as the new fluff doesn't interfere with the crunch in some way.

The idea is the character would make the magical items from start to finish, not create a treatment he could give to someone else to use. However, the explanation of how he does this is through various alchemical reagents and treatments to the base equipment to imbue it with magical properties. So, yes, this would be a "refluffing" to explain how the character uses Craft (alchemy) in order to craft Magic Arms and Armor and Wondrous Items.

Psyren
2016-04-04, 03:39 PM
The idea is the character would make the magical items from start to finish, not create a treatment he could give to someone else to use. However, the explanation of how he does this is through various alchemical reagents and treatments to the base equipment to imbue it with magical properties. So, yes, this would be a "refluffing" to explain how the character uses Craft (alchemy) in order to craft Magic Arms and Armor and Wondrous Items.

Then yes - go gonzo.

(Perhaps "refluffing" was an erroneous term - there's no one standard fluff way to make a magic bag after all. "Fluffing" might be better.)