PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is Tracking An "Honor Score" Actually Fun?

Unusual Muse
2016-04-04, 03:36 PM
To help define one of the races in my game, I'm pondering having members of that race use the variant Honor system from the SRD. It would be most pertinent in interactions with members of that race.

What I'd like to know from people who have used such a system is, is it actually fun? Does it contribute interest to the game, or does it just bog things down? Does tracking the number work well mechanically and make sense, or would it be better just to do the more generalized version - similar to alignment - and say, "Your character is known as an honorable/dishonorable person?"

martixy
2016-04-04, 10:21 PM
I can tell you I am not a fan of the alignment biases. Especially the good-evil axis.

While I haven't played with honor, I can offer you an alternative:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/honor
(Which at least on paper seems better to me.)

OldTrees1
2016-04-04, 11:07 PM
Many computer RPGs use an Honor system to overgeneralize trust/distrust to a universal stat. I recommend keeping it the more generalized nebulous version so that you create differences based upon who heard what and who cares about what.

Take Jack Sparrow:
His crew considers him quite but not completely trustworthy despite knowing him the best.
Will Turner and Elizabeth both consider him a sometimes useful backstabbing friend/fiend.
Those that have heard about him consider him the worst pirate they ever heard of and thus not trustworthy.

HunterOfJello
2016-04-04, 11:15 PM
Honor is not for fun. Honor is an honor.

atemu1234
2016-04-05, 12:15 PM
Honor is not for fun. Honor is an honor.

Well, it's a system in D&D, so arguably, yes, it should be fun.

Tohsaka Rin
2016-04-05, 12:23 PM
Well, it's a system in D&D, so arguably, yes, it should be fun.

Along with measuring sanity loss, tracking being poisoned, the progress of disease, afflicted with Mummy Rot, and being set on fire.

Fun is what happens in a DnD session going right, regardless of the horrifying things happening in the game. Thus, I refute your point, though I do respect it.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-05, 05:29 PM
I think it really depends on the individual. Some would find it fun while others would think it gets in the way of role playing or adds needless extra stats to track. It also depends on the type of campaign your running and the theme or tone of the world. I suggest talking about it with everyone involved before implementing it.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-04-05, 07:21 PM
This is a matter of taste that will, necessarily, vary from person to person.

Tracking an honor 'score' with regards to a certain race -could- be interesting if any of the players is interested in exploring the idea of honor but otherwise simply going with the idea that they're an honor-centric people that respect other honorable folks as a roleplay guideline is probably sufficient. As a GM you've got enough to do without giving yourself more paperwork to track.

weckar
2016-04-06, 06:43 AM
The honor system as written is more a DM tool than something that would influence game flow at all. Played perfectly, your PCs would never know you're using it. It certainly helps with larger parties in which multiple characters have their own agendas next to the general mission.

Unusual Muse
2016-04-06, 11:57 PM
...simply going with the idea that they're an honor-centric people that respect other honorable folks as a roleplay guideline is probably sufficient. As a GM you've got enough to do without giving yourself more paperwork to track.

I think this is probably the tack I'm going to take. :smallsmile: