PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do Black Tentacles grapple every turn or only once?

magicalmagicman
2016-04-04, 05:02 PM
Does it work like entangle-type spells and grapple every creatures once per casting, or does it grapple every creature once per round?

I think its once per casting because if it was once per round I'm sure they would've said it...

DarkSoul
2016-04-04, 05:07 PM
Considering the tentacles keep rolling grapple checks to deal damage if they have someone grappled, I see no reason why they wouldn't keep rolling grapple checks to catch someone in the area who isn't grappled.

Janthkin
2016-04-04, 05:09 PM
If your group uses the FAQ, this is easy:

Is a character who remains within the area of effect of
an Evard’s black tentacles spell subject to being grappled
again after avoiding the tentacles initially, or only upon
entering the area?
It appears that Evard’s black tentacles attack anyone a) in
the spell’s area when the spell is cast, or b) anyone entering the
area, but not c) anyone within the area of the spell on later
rounds but free of the tentacles. Thus, if you avoid the initial
attack or free yourself from the grapple, the tentacles won’t
attack you again.

If not, the wording is a little less clear: one paragraph tells you that "every creature within the area of the spell must make a grapple check," without distinction; another paragraph tells you that creatures that enter the area are immediately attacked. On balance, and particularly if compared against Entangle, I think the FAQ got this one right.

ComaVision
2016-04-04, 05:12 PM
I'm definitely ignoring the FAQ on this.

Psyren
2016-04-04, 05:15 PM
If it helps, PF cleared up the wording and their version definitely grapples every round.

SethoMarkus
2016-04-04, 05:26 PM
This is why I always drop a Stinking Cloud on the same spot as the tentacles. :smalltongue:

magicalmagicman
2016-04-04, 05:31 PM
Ok thanks, so 3.5 WotC Official ruling is that black tentacles is just an entangle upgrade. I think the spell is powerful even if it's only one grapple. I can't see spellcasters escaping the grapple at +15 grapple check, when you first get it.