PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dvati Fiend of Possession

DisturbedDeity
2016-04-04, 07:22 PM
Hello all, i am currently working on a fiend of possession(FoP) character and want help optimizing the concept i have. First off the DM has ruled that the total LA of templates/races we start with is a max of +2, and we are not allowed to start with acquired templates(have to get them in game). Also, since i have seen a few takes on dvati, we have ruled that each Dvati gets a move, standard, and free action but spells and manifestations require the concentration of both so there can only be 1 cast per round. Dvati also are ruled so that as a FoP each one can possess a different creature/item and both receive the bonuses. Lastly, my DM has ok'd that I can get the evil subtype from bloodlines if I custom make one/modify one to enter for FoP. So, what i want is a Dvati FoP with bloodlines, who possesses and enhances the hell out of weapons and has a familiar(not decided but something human like to wield weapons) to wield and use the weapons i enhance. early game i would like my familiar to be able to wield me, preferably dual wield us both, but Late game the idea is to have a strong/tanky familiar fighting while i assist and protect him from 2 everdancing weapons(a +8 enhancement which a FoP 6/Bloodline 2 can achieve). I mainly need help on finding a fitting familiar, deciding on feats, and getting the +5 will asap to get into FoP. I have seen the FoP handbook but it doesn't cover this kind of wonkiness xD. Thanks to all who help or try to help :D

theForce017
2016-04-05, 09:01 AM
I really like the concept especially considering the DM has allowed each Dvati to possess a different weapon. I am just curious about how you will get a familiar that can dual wield. I know it will cost a feat but have you considered Leadership (http://tabletopsrd.com/dnd3.5/feats/leadership) instead? You could also take Improved Cohort (http://dndtools.pw/feats/heroes-of-battle--69/improved-cohort--1452/) to bring your cohort a little closer in level to you.

What level are you starting at and what class are you planning to start with?

Deadline
2016-04-05, 11:17 AM
How are you getting the Outsider type in order to be a FoP?

WhamBamSam
2016-04-05, 11:38 AM
How are you getting the Outsider type in order to be a FoP?With 2 LA allowance he could just take a level of the Half-Fiend template class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a). There's also the Celestial-Attended Birth option for the Otherworldly feat in Champions of Valor which opens the feat up to other races, though you'd have to jump through the hoop of justifying how such a character ends up not just Evil but (Evil). Maybe the Solar dropped one of the twins on their head or something?

Swaoeaeieu
2016-04-05, 11:57 AM
i have had this idea too. sounds super fun.
but why not buy/make a golem or some other construct and posess that and the weapon it wields. that way might be easier then getting a suitable familliar.

DisturbedDeity
2016-04-05, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately we are starting at level 1, and ik my early game will be rough with a build like this. As for leadership, I have thought about it but DM chooses your thralls for leadership randomly instead of us choosing so that we can't use it in all its op glory. The outsider type I can cover with a template. And as for what class to start with I honestly don't know. I need a class that I can benefit from in weapon form that will still progress my will ASAP. Finding that class is the main reason I'm here xD

WhamBamSam
2016-04-05, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately we are starting at level 1, and ik my early game will be rough with a build like this. As for leadership, I have thought about it but DM chooses your thralls for leadership randomly instead of us choosing so that we can't use it in all its op glory. The outsider type I can cover with a template. And as for what class to start with I honestly don't know. I need a class that I can benefit from in weapon form that will still progress my will ASAP. Finding that class is the main reason I'm here xDEvil Incarnate could work. Have your Necrocarnum Zombie wield you and focus on passive melds that you don't need physical actions for.
Binder's abilities are (Su) so if you focus on the right ones they'll work while possessing a thing.
A Psionic class is the usual go-to option, as you don't need physical actions to manifest.
Even (Su) Swordsage maneuvers probably require the ability to perform physical actions, but it couldn't hurt to ask/consult the book to be sure. Island of Blades so your wielder is always flanking and teleportation maneuvers, save replacers, and the like could be fun if allowed.
Marshal Auras probably remain in effect in weapon form, though you can't initiate or change them.

DisturbedDeity
2016-04-05, 07:17 PM
Thank you for pointing out manuevers to me WhamBamSam I didn't even think of that. Today I was thinking and I'm changing my concept a bit. I'm taking some advice given and ditching the familiar aspect(doing leadership in its place).What I want to do now is Binder 2/Marshall 1/Bloodlines 3/FoP 6/Legacy champion 6. Legacy champion will progress Binder and bloodlibes will add to it too so I will have a binder level of 11, and some bonuses to my wielder from Marshall. The plan is to get a very powerful legacy weapon via legacy champion, and possess that weapon adding an additional +15 in bonuses/enhancement from my FoP levels. My followers will then be a cult basically finding me a hero who is worthy of weilding me, and like all intelligent items my power will come with a cost. I will give my power to them and protect them, but they have to let my other half possess them and probe his thoughts so that I know I can trust him to wield me and they must agree to bear a curse that lowers their will save vs me in case they rebel. I will probably also exert control for a round per day or so just to stack that +1 ;) and i constantly know what he is thinking so I can retaliate if he starts to seem untrustworthy.

DisturbedDeity
2016-04-06, 10:32 AM
I realized I read legacy champion wrong so I have to progress Binder or FoP not both. So Binder level will only be 5. Sad

WhamBamSam
2016-04-06, 12:15 PM
I realized I read legacy champion wrong so I have to progress Binder or FoP not both. So Binder level will only be 5. SadYou don't get much for progressing FoP past 10, since Magic Item caps there and 9 should probably be sufficient unless you expect to frequently be possessing non-magical weapons. All you'd really get is an increase on the save DC for Control Creature. So you'd probably do better to progress Binder with Legacy Champion after all.