PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Beholder!

Elurindel
2007-06-21, 06:40 PM
Right, here's what's happening. My Lich Evoker/Diabolist has deicded that, once a battle he's currently in is over, he intends to take a trophy with a much more practical use: A beholder corpse.

What he intends to do is make it into a Corpse Creature (Check BovD), and ride around in its mouth. I'm also considering creating a house-ruled version of an item based on the spell Eyes of the Zombie, to allow me to see through the Beholder's many eyes, as well as items for increasing its Dex and attack bonus.
What else would other people add to this? I have a budget of about 60,000gp to go with here, and 25% discount to item creation costs. (Thank you, Eberron feats!):smallbiggrin:

Citizen Joe
2007-06-21, 06:48 PM
Well that particular floating eye creature is non-OGL, so I can't refer to anything in the SRD. Check which abilities are supernatural, because I'm pretty sure they poof when it becomes undead. It may include the floating ability which would make your creature more of a sofa than a useful mode of transportation. I suppose you could flip it over and have it 'walk' on its eye stalks.

Bassetking
2007-06-21, 06:49 PM
Rather than riding around in its mouth, consider gouging/tearing its central eye out of its head, and riding in the gaping, hollowed socket. You know, for added horror. Also, this serves to NOT keep your character enshrouded in a constant AMF.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-21, 06:51 PM
There's undead orb thingies that still float, or at least there used to be in 2nd ed. But sitting in its mouth? Er, ew!

Elurindel
2007-06-21, 06:56 PM
Corpse Creatures retain their abilities when they're created, they just lose their Constitution, and -2 Dex. Plus, the central eye socket is pretty important. You know, anti-magic cone and all.

Citizen Joe
2007-06-21, 07:10 PM
OK, in that case, I'd say flip it over and ride rumbleseat style.

BRC
2007-06-21, 07:42 PM
Hang a basket from it and ride in that, hot air balloon style.

Callix
2007-06-21, 08:01 PM
This has to be the ultimate artillery platform... what can we do to improve it?

can't really think of anything...

BTW, what dex boost items? A beholder doesn't have hands, how can it use Gloves of Dexterity?

OOTS_Rules.
2007-06-21, 08:31 PM
Give it the Teeth Covers of Dexterity. Two words: House rules.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-21, 08:41 PM
Wasn't there some kind of Arcane Eyes spell(think Eye of Kilrog from Warcraft 2), where you had these little eyes that could fly around up to about 1 mile from you?

If you managed to refrain from damaging the eyestalks, you can try sticking small holes(just big enough for your hand to pop out) near the base of each stalk, and your opponents would wonder why the Beholder is slinging "Otto's Irresistable Dance"s at them.

Jack Mann
2007-06-21, 11:11 PM
Actually, beholders can use magic items. Lords of Madness gives their item slots.

Ramza00
2007-06-22, 12:30 AM
Get your Dm to take the beholder feats in LOM (one of them allows you to fire 4 eyestalks in one direction.)

Problem is how are you going to control the beholder? Rebuke? Remember Corpse creature is not a mindless undead.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-22, 05:14 AM
Y'know what else has been in that mouth? (Hint: sewage!)

OOTS_Rules.
2007-06-22, 07:53 AM
You could try popping out of the top of its head like in a horror movie.

Grug
2007-06-22, 09:13 AM
Check back issues of Dragon. There was one issue with several exotic vehicles, and one was an Eye Tyrant with its central eye gouged out. The rider sat inside, protected by a hatch, and could use the various eye beams. Not sure of the issue number, though. I remember the article also had a boat made out of red dragon hide.

Ramza00
2007-06-22, 09:18 AM
Check back issues of Dragon. There was one issue with several exotic vehicles, and one was an Eye Tyrant with its central eye gouged out. The rider sat inside, protected by a hatch, and could use the various eye beams. Not sure of the issue number, though. I remember the article also had a boat made out of red dragon hide.

Do you remember the article name? This may be helpful

http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/
http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-subject.html

Elurindel
2007-06-22, 01:06 PM
Thank you for the feedback, everyone. I'll attempt to cover all the issues brought up:

1. Beholder magic items. I was going to fix a plate to the roof of its mouth for the magic ite to see through its eyes with, and I was going to clamp a ring around its teeth, and maybe pierce its lips too.

2. I'm still going to ride in its mouth. A basket may be more hygeienic, but my character is a Lich looking for some protection, and inside the mouth of a Beholder would be some serious concealment.

3. Corpse Creatures aren't mindless, no, but it was my understanding that when a spellcaster takes the effort to create something, then he controls it when he raises it. If not, it's not actually classed as undead, so it woill not be immune to Dominate-based spells.

4. Popping out of its head: I don't really want to damage it. It still needs its brain, after all.

[Edit] upon second glance, they are undead, but it should be easy enough to get hold of a Command Undead-type arcane spell.

Ramza00
2007-06-22, 01:12 PM
3. Corpse Creatures aren't mindless, no, but it was my understanding that when a spellcaster takes the effort to create something, then he controls it when he raises it. If not, it's not actually classed as undead, so it woill not be immune to Dominate-based spells.
Yes with animate dead

No with Create Undead and Create Greater Undead.

This clause of create undead.

You may create less powerful undead than your level would allow if you choose. Created undead are not automatically under the control of their animator. If you are capable of commanding undead, you may attempt to command the undead creature as it forms.

Elurindel
2007-06-22, 01:15 PM
Already seen it, and corrected the above post to match it.

akira72703
2007-06-22, 05:21 PM
Seat yourself on the top of its head where the eyestalks used to be and put them all on the bottom pointing down.....sweet satellite rain.

Elurindel
2007-06-22, 05:22 PM
Ah, see, the only problem with that is getting knocked off.

akira72703
2007-06-22, 08:37 PM
Get a saddle.

Bassetking
2007-06-22, 11:11 PM
Or a palanquin.