PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Getting the monk AC class feature (without being a monk)

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 10:38 PM
This might be out on a limb, but is there a way to get the monk's AC bonus that is compatible with ascetic mage without being a monk? My sorcerer (he of the 31 charisma) would definitely appreciate your help. Or any other ingenious way to get Charisma to AC (yes I looked at x stat to y bonus. I'm just stumped.)

Morcleon
2016-04-04, 11:24 PM
This might be out on a limb, but is there a way to get the monk's AC bonus that is compatible with ascetic mage without being a monk? My sorcerer (he of the 31 charisma) would definitely appreciate your help. Or any other ingenious way to get Charisma to AC (yes I looked at x stat to y bonus. I'm just stumped.)

You can buy a Monk's Belt and Bracers of Striking, then take the feat, since these two items give you the AC bonus and the feat's prerequisites, respectively.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-04, 11:47 PM
Thanks! Spending money for feats is always nice.

Âmesang
2016-04-05, 12:03 AM
Alternatively you could learn polymorph and pick up Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species to grab the nymph's unearthly beauty. Charisma bonus to both Armor Class and saving throws (though since it's a deflection bonus to AC, I imagine it'd stack with the intrinsic/ability bonus granted by the items).

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-05, 12:08 AM
Ooooh I hadn't considered that at all. That even meshes with the character; he's a ridiculously templated Unseelie Fey.

EDIT: Though, on the downside, that requires that I be a nymph any time I want to use the ability.

Darrin
2016-04-05, 05:01 AM
You can dip one level of Battle Dancer (Dragon Compendium) for Cha to AC.

Necroticplague
2016-04-05, 05:10 AM
Or a one level dip into the Ghost template class for CHA to AC as a deflection bonus.

Inevitability
2016-04-05, 05:13 AM
You could take a level in druid with the Deadly Hunter ACF from Unearthed Arcana. You lose armor and shield proficiency (which you don't care about) and wild shape (which you won't get), and gain a favored enemy, the track feat, fast movement, and a monk's AC bonuses, in addition to the standard class features of a first-level druid.

2016-04-05, 05:14 AM
Swordsage gets Wis to AC, and Ascetic Mage doesn't actually specify Monk (at least in regards to the AC part), so Swordsage/Sorcerer can make good use of that feat.

Also, since you're looking for ways to get your Charisma stat to a bonus, here's a list of ways to get a stat to a bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus)

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-05, 02:46 PM
Swordsage gets Wis to AC, and Ascetic Mage doesn't actually specify Monk (at least in regards to the AC part), so Swordsage/Sorcerer can make good use of that feat.

Also, since you're looking for ways to get your Charisma stat to a bonus, here's a list of ways to get a stat to a bonus. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus)

I did mention that I'd already looked at that. I just wasn't sure which specific way is the best way, as the list isn't all that detailed and I still have to look up how to qualify for each one.

Swordsage is an interesting idea though - that'd open me up for some Jade Phoenix Mage shenanigans.

Red Fel
2016-04-05, 03:10 PM
I did mention that I'd already looked at that. I just wasn't sure which specific way is the best way, as the list isn't all that detailed and I still have to look up how to qualify for each one.

Swordsage is an interesting idea though - that'd open me up for some Jade Phoenix Mage shenanigans.

Thing is, if you're willing to go JPM, Ascetic Mage kind of loses its luster.

Think about it. AM gives you:
The ability to sacrifice a spell for +X to unarmed strike attack and damage rolls, where X is the spell level.
Stacking Sorc and Monk levels for purposes of AC bonus, and Cha instead of Wis to AC.
Free multiclassing between Sorc and Monk.
Assuming Swordsage entry, Swordsage + JPM gets you:
The ability to sacrifice a spell for +4 to attack (including unarmed strike) and +Xd10 to damage, where X is the spell level.
From Swordsage, you gain Wis to AC. From Mystic Phoenix Stance, you also gain +2 dodge bonus to AC.
Swordsage does not have restricted multiclassing.
About the only benefits of AM over JPM are that the feat can come online sooner, and Cha to AC. And the latter is easily resolved by a Battle Dancer dip. Further, the Unarmed Swordsage adaptation potentially gets you the Monk's unarmed strike progression as well. Alternatively, Superior Unarmed Strike can be your friend if you have no Monk levels.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-05, 03:20 PM
Those are all true, but in this particular build I'd rather burn a feat than dip a level. The build is sorcerer/warlock/anima mage/eldritch theurge, and I don't want to lose another caster level on a Battle Dancer dip. Buying two items and burning a single feat to get Charisma to AC, however, is a pretty decent investment (especially as we have an accelerated feat progression), especially as it frees me up (somewhat) from investing in armor and lets me invest in other, more pertinent magic items.

I'm sure the DM would be fine with Ascetic Mage also applying to the swordsage AC bonus, though, and I'll definitely keep it on the table as an option. I'd much rather dip Swordsage than monk (who wouldn't?).

Âmesang
2016-04-06, 10:21 AM
Would it be wrong to turn the monk's belt into some sort of "boots/slippers of the battle dancer?" :smalltongue: No dip required.

*Could add the caveat that it wouldn't stack with the monk's belt, or just make 'em both belts…