PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks and PrCs

Tiri
2016-04-05, 08:48 AM
I notice that some prestige classes for Warlocks have as a requirement 'Eldritch blast +Xd6'. Does this have to be met by damage dice gained solely from the Warlock class, or could something that gives extra d6's like a feat or item allow the Warlock to take the class early (assuming the other requirements are met)?

Hunter Noventa
2016-04-05, 09:19 AM
I don't think you're allowed to gain entry to a PrC based on temporary buff, even if they come from a magic item. A feat could do the trick, but I don't think there's any feat that gives a permanent bonus to Eldritch Blast dice. Something like Mortalbane wouldn't work, since it only works three times a day, for example.

Gruftzwerg
2016-04-05, 10:09 AM
I notice that some prestige classes for Warlocks have as a requirement 'Eldritch blast +Xd6'. Does this have to be met by damage dice gained solely from the Warlock class, or could something that gives extra d6's like a feat or item allow the Warlock to take the class early (assuming the other requirements are met)?

Eldritch Blast scales with your "Combined Warlock Level" (warlock + any PRC that adds on its spellcasting). Which means, you don't need to go pure warlock to get the "+Xd6" needed as requirement for Eldritch Blast. Items that boost your EB, don't count for this requirement as far as I am aware of.

BowStreetRunner
2016-04-05, 10:19 AM
In my campaigns I generally do not allow magic items or temporary buffs to fulfill a PrC prerequisite, but I know many DMs who do. Keep in mind however, at any time when the PC lacks the prerequisite they do not gain the class features of the PrC. So if someone used a chasuble of fell power to qualify and then the chasuble was stolen, they would keep the HD and other base characteristics of the PrC levels but lose all of the other features.

Complete Warrior page 16 has a detailed explanation of this type of situation.

Tiri
2016-04-05, 10:39 AM
Complete Warrior page 16 has a detailed explanation of this type of situation.

I do know about that, but many seem to be of the opinion that that only applies to PrCs in Complete Warrior (and Arcane, which has the same rule).

Psyren
2016-04-05, 12:53 PM
I do know about that, but many seem to be of the opinion that that only applies to PrCs in Complete Warrior (and Arcane, which has the same rule).

Given that Warlock itself is from Complete Arcane, I'd say it applies to them even if you're looking at it using this very narrow lens.

Troacctid
2016-04-05, 01:44 PM
I don't think you're allowed to gain entry to a PrC based on temporary buff, even if they come from a magic item. A feat could do the trick, but I don't think there's any feat that gives a permanent bonus to Eldritch Blast dice. Something like Mortalbane wouldn't work, since it only works three times a day, for example.

There's Eldritch Dragonbane, but that probably wouldn't count.

I'm pretty sure the OP is thinking of the Chasuble of Fell Power, which, IMO, should work fine.